Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Don't forget the many plants that help prevent infection such as plantain, comfrey, elderberries, salal even sheep sorrel and yarrow. I've been slowly using plants for awhile. I figured if I mess up now I have a doctor nearby. A little smarter than trying it for the first time under an emergency!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sweetpea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,616 Times in 2,909 Posts

A layer of honey over a wound keeps bactiria from thriving. Honey was used Throughout Europe during the mideval years. Also, anyone interested in making a still...Alcohol is a great bactiria fighter. I also drink a lot of herbal teas for different things. But they are great for keeping your body flushed of bacteria. An herbal remedy book might be a good idea. Then learn to recognize the plants that grow naturally in your area. You'll learn faster from the people that use the plants in your area. Don't know what to tell you if you live in the city.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ramona M. Faunce For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2008, 08:26 PM
"Dolt"

Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,204 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
It may be illegal but does anyone know how to grow and process penicillin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxStrong View Post
I also have read, if you maggots on an open wound that has started to putrify, they will eat the dead flesh, and leave a clean wound to heal. I have not had need to attempt this myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwind View Post
fresh urine is very good or cleaning a wound
If ever I'm sick or injured .... you three do NOT have my permission to treat me .......... ever.

Thank you,
doc
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to DocYoung For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2008, 06:44 AM
AKA The Dragon

Thanked 1,939 Times in 948 Posts

Have seen a documentary where the British medical profession in recent times have used maggots to treat wounds.
The maggots were bred under sterile conditions and applied to the wound under medical dressings. The patients did not feel the maggots doing their job or any subsequent pain from them.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:17 AM
Target Shooter

My understanding is that it was mold from an orange that they used to create penecillin.
But doesn't it make more sense to store some the type used in Vet supplies is the same thing just a little less pure and very cheap to store and rotate.
although I do think using mold topically as a dressing has some merit as well as using maggots to encourage wound cleansing.
By the way it requires no special license to buy animal grade medicines and can be purchased at any vet supply even on-line....
Old 05-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Savage intellectual

Thanked 1,464 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisynick View Post
My understanding is that it was mold from an orange that they used to create penecillin.
A moldy cantaloupe in a supermarket in Peoria, Ill in 1943 had the best strain of P. notans.

I have a PDF on my harddrive about the synthesis process, but again, you need a background in laboratory processes and some chemical background to do it properly. Even if you could synthesize penicillin, you'd probably have to administer by injection since most versions naturally produced are unstable in stomach acids, and probably have to produce a lot since it is actively excreted by the kidneys.

Another thing to consider: most bacteria are resistant to it. The reason new antibiotics have to come on line are that bacteria develop resistance to it. Also, penicillin is toxic only to "susceptible" Gram-positive bacteria strains. If you have the "wrong" kind of infection, it's pretty much useless.

A piece of moldy bread will not produce penicillin unless the mold itself is stressed chemically - the inhibitory agents normally aren't present. The process is quite complex, some sugars inhibit the reaction, some don't. I'd suggest a degree in biochem and a full lab before trying it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LaserCool For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Permanently gone

Thanked 3,682 Times in 1,017 Posts

Oh for pete's sake!
*throws up hands in frustration*

Look, there are myriad excellent antibiotics and anti-bacterials as close as your garden...

Plant Rosemary, Thyme, Lavender.
Buy an excellent quality carrier oil. I suggest almond oil.
Gather plant material about two hours after sunrise. (long enough that the dew has mostly dried, but the plants are still *young in the day*)
Chop/mince plant material and put in pint canning jar, or two cups worth into quart canning jar.
Cover with almond oil.
Put lid on tight.
Invert (turn upside down) and set outside in sunlight.
Put outside every morning for two weeks, bring in at sundown.
Strain into dark jars and label.
All three are EXCELLENT topical treatments for wounds.

Mix the thyme oil with a bit of vodka and water (1 teaspoon thyme oil + 1/4 cup vodka + 1/4 cup distilled or bottled water = mouthwash suitable for treating gum infections, mouth sores or wounds or gingivitis.

1/4 cup of the lavender oil + 2 cups vinegar, shake well and spray as a disinfectant in a sick room.

Or mix 3 tablespoons of the lavender oil with 2 tablespoons of chamomile oil with 1 cup water and 1 cup alcohol and shake well. Spray on bed linens to help sleep and keep away bed mites/dust mites, etc. Also, same mix will help heal bed sores. Also helps calm shocky or hysterical individuals when sprayed on their bed linens or diffused in air.

Rosemary oil heals most wounds, even when *traditional* antibiotic ointments won't.

Strong teas made of rosemary can work on dysentery.
Tea made of a mix of rosemary and thyme can kick out most intestinal *bugs*.

If really ill, make a *bath bag*. Take the fresh herbs, crush them (about a 1/2 cup each of lavender, rosemary and thyme), place in fine linen or several layers of cheesecloth bag. Toss in tub or tie to faucet so water runs over it. Use water hot as you can stand.
Soak in tub for 30 minutes, sponging self with water. This will draw a LOT of toxins out of your body. When you get out of tub, you will feel *drained*, so don't push it! Do this before bed, so you can go to sleep as soon as possible.
(I use this whenever a nasty flu is going around and I think I have a touch of it...works every time! Everyone around me is dropping like flies, but I keep going and never get really sick)
Old 05-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,262 Posts

Remember to not ever give medicine to another person.

Some people are deathly allergic to penicillins and other related drugs. (me for one)

Also, anyone can become allergic to a drug at any time even if they have had it before. If you are going to take the trouble to stock up on antibiotics you might want to get some steroids and other medicines that would counteract a bad reaction.
The Following User Says Thank You to anne36 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Recent Blog:
Trapper

i've heard of the moldy bread but don't know if it really works
Old 05-25-2008, 11:16 AM
What Would Darwin Do?

If you are only concerned about wounds,get a few large tubes of this.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...sku=sku2652493

It will last you a lifetime.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Savage intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
Oh for pete's sake!
*throws up hands in frustration*
I quite agree, that for a topical injury, disinfection with the methods you describe work well. My wife is certified as an aromatherapist, and I've read the literature on its anti-bacterial, anti viral, anti fungal properties. It works. Plus, good old fashioned soap works wonders too.

However, plant oils don't work well against pneumonia, sepsis or a host of other internal infections. In that case, antibiotics are the logical tool for dealing with that kind of infection.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Permanently gone

Thanked 3,682 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserCool View Post
I quite agree, that for a topical injury, disinfection with the methods you describe work well. My wife is certified as an aromatherapist, and I've read the literature on its anti-bacterial, anti viral, anti fungal properties. It works. Plus, good old fashioned soap works wonders too.

However, plant oils don't work well against pneumonia, sepsis or a host of other internal infections. In that case, antibiotics are the logical tool for dealing with that kind of infection.
Plant oils/extracts CAN work on sepsis, some better than the medications prescribed by doctors.

Quote:
During the past 20 years in western medicine, marijuana has been assigned antibiotic activity; as a result, several studies relating to this possibility have been undertaken. H. B. M. Murphy (1963: 20) reported investigations in Eastern Europe. He stated that "it is alleged to be active against gram positive organisms at 1/100,000 dilution, but to be largely inactivated by plasma, so that prospects for its use appear to be, confined to E. N. T. (ear, nose and throat) and skin infections."

Dr. J. Kabelikovi (1952: 500-503) and his coworkers carried out tests on rats, which were similar to tests carried out with penicillin in vitro. The alcohol extract of cannabis was bacterially effective against many gram-positive and one gram-negative microorganisms. It was also found that a paste form of external application was successful. According to Kabelikovi, "from a study of 2,000 herbs by Czechoslovakian scientists it was found that cannabis indica (the Indian Hemp) was the most promising in the realm of antibiotics."

In a 1959 publication of Pharmacie, Krejci stated: "From the flowering tips and leaves of hemp, cannabis sativa var indica bred in Middle Europe, were extracted a phenol and an acid fraction. From the acid fraction, two acids were obtained, of which one preserved its antibiotic properties" (p. 349). In another Czechoslovakian publication, Krejci (1961: 1351-1353) referred to two additional samples with antibiotic activity.

Sample I in Fig. 1 has been sufficiently identified as cannabidiolic acid and sample 9 as cannabidiol. Both fractions show antibiotic activity. The results of tests lead us to conclude that the antibacterial action of cannabis sativa is not identical to the hashish effect found, for example, in tetrahydrocannabinol. However, it was established that cannabis sativa is effective as an antibiotic for local infections.

Kabelik, Krejci, and Santavy (1960: 13) include in "Cannabis as a Medicant" the various microorganisms against which cannabis is effective.

Proof could be furnished that the cannabis extracts produce a very satisfactory antibacterial effect upon the following microbes: staphylococcus pyogenes aureus, steptococcus alpha haemolyticus, streptococcus beta haemolyticus, enterococcus, diplococcus pneumonia, B. anthracis, and corynebacterium diptheriae i.e., all of them gram-positive microorganisms. Noteworthy is the effect upon staphylococcus aureaus strains, which are resistant to penicillin and to other antibiotics.
In a SHTF situation, growing some *weed* for medicinal purposes and making tinctures out of it will be logical.Right now, if I found myself infected with MRSA, I would go for cannabis FIRST.

Quick definition of MRSA from the Mayo clinic:
Quote:

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection is caused by Staphylococcus aureus bacteria often called "staph." Decades ago, a strain of staph emerged in hospitals that was resistant to the broad-spectrum antibiotics commonly used to treat it. Dubbed methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), it was one of the first germs to outwit all but the most powerful drugs. MRSA infection can be fatal....

....In the 1990s, a type of MRSA began showing up in the wider community. Today, that form of staph, known as community-associated MRSA, or CA-MRSA, is responsible for many serious skin and soft tissue infections and for a serious form of pneumonia.
Again, Thyme has been found to help with myriad internal infections INCLUDING pneumonia and bronchitis. Garlic, too, has been found to be effective against internal infections. And many other herbs...

If the pharmacy is no longer there and your friendly neighborhood doctor has taken off for parts unknown after TSHTF, antibiotics, for the most part, will have gone the way of the dinosaur.
Arm yourself with knowledge NOW, when you don't need it--so you will have it when you DO need it!
Old 05-27-2008, 01:25 PM

My high-school biology teacher is a search and rescue volunteer, he said he found a hunter that had a big wound on his leg one time. He stopped the bleeding and avoided bleeding to death by putting his pack of cigarettes on the wound. It worked because the nicotine causes blood to coagulate. This also works if you have a bloody nose, just smoke one and exhale through your nose to speed up the process of stopping the blood.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphak For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphak View Post
This also works if you have a bloody nose, just smoke one and exhale through your nose to speed up the process of stopping the blood.
Used to do that one all the time. I never knew it was the nicotine, though... I just assumed it was the heat/drying effect.

Same technique will kill sneezing fits dead in their tracks and help open your sinuses back up.

Repels skeeters, too. Sometimes I wish I hadn't quit.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Prof. Eustance McGargle

Get the antibiotics from the pet store for the fish. You can order it online as well. (Check somewhere for dosage information.)
Old 05-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Sundown dazzling day

Thanked 13,064 Times in 5,936 Posts

I want to ask how many of you here have been in a situation where antibiotics saved your life? I've had multiple infections (like respiratory and throat) and also had bad wounds and stuff. When I was a kid they gave me antibiotics for everything. Nowadays they don't for those things and guess what? People are fine anyway! I was ill and it sure took time to get well but I didn't die or anything (Had advanced strep infection).

For the really bad infections, antibiotics fail often anyway... In the future we will see even more antibiotics resistance, even pulling a few off the market to try to make the bacteria sensitive again, and then put them back, doesn't work. Make penicillin, store antibiotics. That stuff will be useless soon anyway.

Penicillin is nothing but a fungus. Some fungus attacks bacteria. And opens up for fungal infection instead. Great.

While advanced antibiotics might be good for their specific target, penicillin only works for a few strains of bacteria (as mentioned). It's hard enough to make penicillin, and the rest is impossible.

A lot of our current health problems are due to antibiotics use. The first noticed penicillin reststancy came only a few years after penicillin was mass produced! We are indeed a great civilisation that puts all our faith in mold. And not try other approaches and not even glance at either herbal remedies and how they can be exploited, or phage treatment.

Storing pet Tetracycline, good luck with that. I know I'm not believed when I claim even solid Tetracycline deteriorates fast, but if you want liver and kidney damage, go ahead.

There isn't much to do for viruses and people manage to survive those too.

While penicillin is seen as one of the ten greatest discoveries, and it sure did save a lot of people, there were also simultaneous efforts at the time to live in a healthier environment and new knowledge about hygiene. Penicillin alone didn't make people with infections more prone to survive. A lot of the people that survived because of penicillin were wounded soldiers. Penicillin worked that great for a while simply because it was new.

Conclusion: Don't get wounded. If you do, clean up your wounds. Don't sleep around. Learn about alternative treatment.

And the fruit was a cantalope.
The Following User Says Thank You to speedofl33t For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Savage intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
Plant oils/extracts CAN work on sepsis, some better than the medications prescribed by doctors.
Like what? And do you have any clinical data on that?

Quote:
In a SHTF situation, growing some *weed* for medicinal purposes and making tinctures out of it will be logical.Right now, if I found myself infected with MRSA, I would go for cannabis FIRST.
Too bad I'm very allergic to cannabis.

Quote:
Again, Thyme has been found to help with myriad internal infections INCLUDING pneumonia and bronchitis. Garlic, too, has been found to be effective against internal infections. And many other herbs...
Have you any documentation of this? I'd love to have it for reference.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Ready, Willing, & Able!!!

Default Sage

Sage! It not called "heal-all" for nothing.
There are more too. Pick up a book on herbal medicines.

Peace,
Subs
The Following User Says Thank You to Subs For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona M. Faunce View Post
A layer of honey over a wound keeps bactiria from thriving. Honey was used Throughout Europe during the mideval years. Also, anyone interested in making a still...Alcohol is a great bactiria fighter. I also drink a lot of herbal teas for different things. But they are great for keeping your body flushed of bacteria. An herbal remedy book might be a good idea. Then learn to recognize the plants that grow naturally in your area. You'll learn faster from the people that use the plants in your area. Don't know what to tell you if you live in the city.
I also drink LARGE amounts of alcohol,therefore I should be good to go, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to panlanrs For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 03:26 AM

Hi guys,

Excellent thread. Actually, i've been looking for some rock solid hard info about producing your own antibiotics at home/in the frontline. I'm happy that i read this thread, it's provided me with a lot of info that i needed, but for now, let me respond to some questions/points posted by a person above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedofl33t View Post
I want to ask how many of you here have been in a situation where antibiotics saved your life?
Many times. I'm sure you have too, without knowing it. Before the days of antibiotics, people either lived in confined societies where bacterial infection was rare because people did not integrate like they do today, and even a hundred years ago, various people, mostly children, had an extremely high mortality rate in western countries due to severe bacterial illness, for instance, and also take the first world war as an example, where the amputation of limbs was a common practice due to gang-green infection as a result of bacterial contamination in the bloodstream and surrounding flesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedofl33t View Post
Penicillin is nothing but a fungus. Some fungus attacks bacteria. And opens up for fungal infection instead. Great.
Penicillin is not a fungus at all. It is a chemical compound manufactured by a living fungus to repel other microrganisms that may be attempting to infiltrate the fungus itself. Therefore it will not start growing inside your body, because it isn't even alive!

As far as tetracycline goes, and it's derivatives, it is a wonderful antibiotic that has a far-acting effect profile on various different bacterial conditions, such as acne, infections of the brain etc.. And other things. It sure beats penicillin in terms of effectiveness on a wide scale, but penicillin is still a life-saving antibiotic for various conditions. During WW2, America was the only force which had the ability to widely distribute penicillin tablets and vials to it's troops(The UK maybe too, i'm not sure), and the penalty for distributing your ration to civilians or other soldiers was death. They clearly treated it as an effective weapon in it's own right, because it had the ability to bring back soldiers from the dead, so to speak.

You are right about viruses however, but they do not kill people as quickly as bacteria does, a virus can stay in your body for 20 years, sometimes more, so treatment is symptom-specific in that regard, but with bacterial infections, it's a different state of affairs, bacteria are living creatures, viruses are more of a "genetic bullet" so to speak, and while viruses infiltrate the genetic material of cells, causing change, bacteria infiltrate the flesh, causing destruction and death, and they divide rapidly. And while most bacteria are good, and we can't function without them, sometimes the bad bacteria will take hold, and threaten our lives, in which case, we turn to the trusty fungus and the compounds it manufactures to destroy it's enemies, we exploit it, so that we can live more safer lives when the need comes.

And as far as sterilizing wounds goes, iodine is the only option, forget honey/any of that organic stuff, that is useless, if it where so good, then why aren't the surgical operators using it to sterilize patients before they undergo there surgery? It's simple really, a cheap bottle of iodine solution is all that you need to stop a wound from turning into a life-threatning situation, beyond that, antibiotics is the only option really.

Last edited by TheChemist; 04-19-2009 at 03:33 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheChemist For This Useful Post: