Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,106 Times in 370 Posts
Default Food Grade 5 Gallon Buckets on Sale at Lowe's

Advertise Here

Lowe's has #2 Food Grade 5 gallon buckets on sales for $2.83 per bucket. Regular price is nearly $5 per bucket.

They don't come with lids, but you can order Gamma Lids online at a number of places. I just wanted to pass this special price along to my buddies here.

Also, they have their Vegetable seeds in stock and Heirloom seeds to choose from. The choices are limited in the Heirloom Seeds, but they are $1.57 per package.

By the way, I purchased these on Sunday, February 8, 2009. You can order them online for the same price but then you would have shipping costs unless you can pick them up at the store.

Last edited by bretandteri; 02-08-2009 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: Adding date that I found sale price
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to bretandteri For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Prepared

Don't buy your buckets if you can help it.

There is a secret to getting as many buckets as you want for free (or very inexpensive). Just call around to some local bakeries. Their flour, spices, sugar, filling and many of their other ingredients usually come in these buckets. Because of this, they end up with a bunch of empty buckets laying around.

The first place I ever called gave me twenty for $1 a piece. Now, if we call around, we are sure to find someone that will give us them for free.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaggerD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Hunter

I travel three weeks every month for work, so tracking down used buckets is not an option for me as I want to get my beans and rice stored as soon as possible. Since I have to buy them, I was excited to find a sale price and wanted to pass it along.

if someone has time to contact local bakeries, by all means do so if you can get them free or for $1 each. But if you don't, this is a good deal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bretandteri For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Prepared

Cool, thanks for the information. I didn't mean to take anything away from your info.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaggerD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Getting Ready

Default Thanks!

Bretandteri, Thanks for the heads up. That is a good deal. Are they the ones with the foam on the handle? Those are nice.
CDC
The Following User Says Thank You to cdccos For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the tip. My husband is very funny about asking for things like used buckets. Maybe he won't fuss so much if I can buy some from Lowe's.
The Following User Says Thank You to elac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdccos View Post
Bretandteri, Thanks for the heads up. That is a good deal. Are they the ones with the foam on the handle? Those are nice.
CDC
Sorry, no foam handles.

Teri
The Following User Says Thank You to bretandteri For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 PM
huh......what?

Thanked 33,156 Times in 8,142 Posts

(QUOTE) "My husband is very funny about asking for things like used buckets".

Hey, don't be shy !! I hustled my way into about two dozen food grade buckets, over a couple weeks,from Sams, well after I knew they'd changed their policy to keep and recycle them instead of giving them away.
But alas,they now shake their heads when they see me coming.
Well, it was fun while it lasted.
The Following User Says Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaggerD View Post
Cool, thanks for the information. I didn't mean to take anything away from your info.
I didn't take it that way, DaggerD.
I am all for free or cheap, but I just don't have the time to track down used buckets. Heck, I probably would have paid the full price if I had to, but a bargain is a bargain.

Thanks for your tip too.
The Following User Says Thank You to bretandteri For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,451 Times in 2,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaggerD View Post
Don't buy your buckets if you can help it.

There is a secret to getting as many buckets as you want for free (or very inexpensive). Just call around to some local bakeries. Their flour, spices, sugar, filling and many of their other ingredients usually come in these buckets. Because of this, they end up with a bunch of empty buckets laying around.

The first place I ever called gave me twenty for $1 a piece. Now, if we call around, we are sure to find someone that will give us them for free.
+1 that is the way to do it just make sure the lids have the rubber seal on it you can get buckets without the rubber seal
The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2009, 12:24 AM

How do you know they are food grade?
The Following User Says Thank You to Username22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username22 View Post
How do you know they are food grade?
Username22,

You will want the buckets that have a #2 inside the Recycle Symbol. I don't know the specifics of what it means, I just know that is the identifying mark for Food Grade.

V/r
Seeker
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seekerofknowledge For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2009, 05:34 AM
Knocked Down But Up Again

Location: Next stop: Willoughby! This train stops at Willoughby!
Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,350 Posts

Even if they're not food grade, you can still line them with mylar bags. In my area, the buckets are on sale for $2.73.

Proverbs 27:12 New Living Translation

Help to keep this forum going by donating TODAY! http://www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php
The Following User Says Thank You to Brimasmom For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Hiker

I bought 12 of their buckets with lids in December and January. Now I'm waiting for my mylar bags and O2 absorbers to arrive. The waiting is killing me!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ramius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Slappin skeeters

The recycle numbers refer to the type of plastic used in the container....
Polyethylene Terephthalate (PETE or PET)

http://www.checnet.org/healtheHouse/...sp?Main_ID=353

"Often found on the bottom of plastic bottles, other containers, and shopping bags, the numbers and letters shown with the chasing-arrows "recycling" symbol mean the following:

* #1 PETE or PET (polyethylene terephthalate): used for most clear beverage bottles.
* #2 HDPE (high density polyethylene): used for "cloudy" milk and water jugs, opaque food bottles.
* #3 PVC or V (polyvinyl chloride): used in some cling wraps (especially commercial brands), some "soft" bottles.
* #4 LDPE (low density polyethylene): used in food storage bags and some "soft" bottles.
* #5 PP (polypropylene): used in rigid containers, including some baby bottles, and some cups and bowls.
* #6 PS (polystyrene): used in foam "clam-shell"-type containers, meat and bakery trays, and in its rigid form, clear take-out containers, some plastic cutlery and cups. Polystyrene may leach styrene into food it comes into contact with. A recent study in Environmental Health Perspectives concluded that some styrene compounds leaching from food containers are estrogenic (meaning they can disrupt normal hormonal functioning). Styrene is also considered a possible human carcinogen by the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer.
* #7 Other (usually polycarbonate): used in 5-gallon water bottles, some baby bottles, some metal can linings. Polycarbonate can release its primary building block, bisphenol A, another suspected hormone disruptor, into liquids and foods. In 1998, the Japanese government ordered manufacturers there to recall and destroy polycarbonate tableware meant for use by children because it contained excessive amounts of bisphenol A. Other sources of potential bisphenol A exposure include food can linings and dental sealants."

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/20..._water_bottles
"To be certain that you are choosing a bottle that does not leach, check the recycling symbol on your bottle. If it is a #2 HDPE (high density polyethylene), or a #4 LDPE (low density polyethylene), or a #5 PP (polypropylene), your bottle is fine."
Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Knocked Down But Up Again

Location: Next stop: Willoughby! This train stops at Willoughby!
Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,350 Posts

The number inside the recycling symbol of the buckets and lids that I just bought from Lowes is a "2". Does that mean it is food grade? Do I still need to line them with mylar?

After all these years, I'm still asking questions!

Proverbs 27:12 New Living Translation

Help to keep this forum going by donating TODAY! http://www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php
Old 02-09-2009, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the heads up on this Teri.
I'm just beginning to collect some buckets & these prices are much cheaper than what I just paid for two at Wal-mart.
It's much appreciated!!

Michelle
Old 02-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Geriatric Gladiator

Thanked 1,289 Times in 374 Posts

I go to a Sam's Club or Walmart with a bakery. They are always happy to get rid of buckets /lids. I know they get icing in them. They always have plenty, are happy to get rid of them, and the price is right. FREE!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Hunter

I hope you people are using mylar bags in side of the pails and if so you don't need the Gamma lids, just use the lids from Lowes for .79 each, all they need to do is keep out the mice and some moisture. why pay for gamma lids and shiiping?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Just A Shadow

Thanked 1,295 Times in 317 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Went to Lowe's at lunch time and they were out.