Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Beware the free cheese !

Default Don't throw away that empty lighter!

Advertise Here

Don't throw away that empty lighter!

If ever you're in a situation where you need to build a fire and all you have left is an empty lighter, don't throw it away! That lighter can still easily make a fire. As long as it can make a spark, all you need is a small spark. The trick is to know how to use that spark to make a flame.

There are two ways that I know of to make a flame.

First method: If you're wearing cotton socks or a cotton shirt, pick the fine lint off of your socks or shirt and make a ball the size of a dime. Now take this ball of cotton and try to seperate the threads into very fine and fluffy threads. The finer and fluffier the threads are, the easier the spark will catch alight. Now take a (Kleenex) tissue and form one corner of the tissue to hold the cotton ball like a cup. Now take the ball of cotton and place it in this cup shape. Now spark your lighter in this ball and watch your tissue catch on fire. You can now place this flame in your prepared tinder.

Second method. open a (Kleenex) tissue and slowly and carefully grind the lighter wheel onto the tissue. Do this without creating a spark. What you want to do is make a small hill of flint pieces. Be patient, this may take a few minutes of grinding. Once you have enough flint, join them together in a small pile and create a spark that lands on this pile. Your tissue will instantly catch alight.

both methods require you to perform these actions in little or no wind conditions, so find a wind break or somewhere sheltered from the elements.

Hope this was educational and usefull!

Last edited by firefighter001; 02-06-2009 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: typing error
Old 02-06-2009, 12:24 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter001 View Post
Don't throw away that empty lighter!

If ever you're in a situation where you need to build a fire and all you have left is an empty lighter, don't throw it away! That lighter can still easily make a fire. As long as it can make a spark, all you need is a small spark. The trick is to know how to use that spark to make a flame.

There are two ways that I know of to make a flame.

First method: If you're wearing cotton socks or a cotton shirt, pick the fine lint off of your socks or shirt and make a ball the size of a dime. Now take this ball of cotton and try to seperate the threads into very fine and fluffy threads. The finer and fluffier the threads are, the easier the spark will catch alight. Now take a (Kleenex) tissue and form one corner of the tissue to hold the cotton ball like a cup. Now take the ball of cotton and place it in this cup shape. Now spark your lighter in this ball and watch your tissue catch on fire. You can now place this flame in your prepared tinder.

Second method. open a (Kleenex) tissue and slowly and carefully grind the lighter wheel onto the tissue. Do this without creating a spark. What you want to do is make a small hill of flint pieces. Be patient, this may take a few minutes of grinding. Once you have enough flint, join them together in a small pile and create a spark that lands on this pile. Your tissue will instantly catch alight.

both methods require you to perform these actions in little or no wind conditions, so find a wind break or somewhere sheltered from the elements.

Hope this was educational and usefull!
What if you don't have a Kleenex?
Old 02-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Beware the free cheese !

use something that will catch alight very easily.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:50 PM

Great Post!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:38 PM
I love this forum

Yeah, I have an empty Bic and was gonna try this this weekend, thanks for the reminder.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:59 PM
The Jed.

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,014 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Ranger Ricks guys, check it. It shows you how to make a spark lite type of fire starter from a bic, about half way down the page. Cheers and happy fire making - Frank

http://www.therangerdigest.com/Tips%...rk%20lites.htm
Old 02-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 9,391 Times in 4,190 Posts

Wy not just carry a magnesium fire block?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,181 Posts

For as plentiful and cheap as bic lighters are,I'm going to just carry several.I see no point in carrying empty lighters if I don't absolutely have to.The exactly same amount of space can be taken up by a full unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to FredLee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2009, 04:30 PM

Stashed away in that 'probably never going to use this but if I didn't know it I guarantee it would save my life' area of my brain.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,770 Times in 4,218 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

You can also run the tinder along the side of your nose where the nostril meets the face. There are quite a few oil glands there and that can add to the flammability of the tinder. In olden days when men made their own pipes they would rub the finished bowl along the side of their nose to pick up the oil and add a sheen.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Beware the free cheese !

The point of this post is not to tell you to carry an empty lighter, but to show what can be accomplished with an empty one when and if you run out of fuel.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:29 PM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,411 Times in 4,748 Posts

Interesting! Thanks.
I have noticed disgarded lighters (makes sense , 'cause they're disposable, after all), in parking lots, public trash cans,.. Maybe I'll pick one up and try this.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:20 AM
smilin or showin my teeth

The empty lighter isnt always empty... sometimes it is just too cold and 15 minutes in an armpit or between ur butt cheeks will get a flame...
OR pry off the little metal guard around the top, depress the gas thing and use your other hand et you to spin the wheel, that too will get you a flame (although it is a little one)
Oh, last thing, rip the little wheel off, save the flint, and use it in your zippo
Old 02-08-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewolf View Post
The empty lighter isnt always empty... sometimes it is just too cold and 15 minutes in an armpit or between ur butt cheeks will get a flame...
OR pry off the little metal guard around the top, depress the gas thing and use your other hand et you to spin the wheel, that too will get you a flame (although it is a little one)
Oh, last thing, rip the little wheel off, save the flint, and use it in your zippo
I've played with the screw-in valve before, makes a 4 inch lighter have a 6 in flame. At the expense of rapid fuel consumption of course. I too save the flint from disposables for my Zippo.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:45 AM
I love this forum

Update, I tried this with toilet paper, dryer lint, and kleenex. I used an empty mini bic, took the metal thing off and shredded the tinder different ways, including very finely. Tried for over 30 mins, no dice. Looks like this idea is bogus, I thought it would work as well. Putting the tinder close only resulted in it getting pulled into the flint wheel. The sparks seem too thin and weak to ignite even finely shredded tinder.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Beware the free cheese !

It's not bogus, it works. You must be doing it wrong! Practice!
The Following User Says Thank You to firefighter001 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter001 View Post
It's not bogus, it works. You must be doing it wrong! Practice!
I did repeatedly, with several different tinders, i shredded the kleenex, ect into wispy pieces, I am not sure how to do it other than that. I have used firesteels, ect, so I know how to get tinder to catch a spark. With this, I got nothing, no matter how many different ways I tried it. I may try it again in the future, I would really like for this to work.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm your huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainedtosave View Post
I did repeatedly, with several different tinders, i shredded the kleenex, ect into wispy pieces, I am not sure how to do it other than that. I have used firesteels, ect, so I know how to get tinder to catch a spark. With this, I got nothing, no matter how many different ways I tried it. I may try it again in the future, I would really like for this to work.
Firefighter's right, it works. Les stroud demonstrated the technique in order to light his seal blubber fueled lantern in his half made igloo. He used cotton fuzz and a kleenex. I think he also had a few Fritos Corn Chips or some gasoline fumes that he salvadged from his "broken down" snowmobile, to prime his tinder. But it was 20 below with ice and snow everywhere. If you need an accellerant, try using pine pitch or the Fritos. They ignite very well and are fairly available. Good luck with it.

Last edited by Wyatt; 02-08-2009 at 08:58 PM..
Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 AM
Hiker

Went to the park and picked up 3 today. Now I have a reason to get them out of the trash.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:47 PM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 6,991 Times in 2,987 Posts

Magnesium fire starter/