Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-05-2009, 08:27 PM

Default Best Portable Water Filter

Advertise Here

I searched but could not find a thread on this (although I am sure it was covered) so sorry but...

What's the best portable water filter under $150 for backpacking and short term survival use?

Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marathonman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
When the going gets weird

I like the MSR miniworks ex, 1 filter (replacements are $40) will last 500+ gallons, its lightweight (15 oz.) and totally field serviceable. With a few replacement o-rings, you can fix any problem with the filter (this is why its issued to marines).
The Following User Says Thank You to lotus.eater For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.eater View Post
I like the MSR miniworks ex, 1 filter (replacements are $40) will last 500+ gallons, its lightweight (15 oz.) and totally field serviceable. With a few replacement o-rings, you can fix any problem with the filter (this is why its issued to marines).
Anything issued to marines is good enough for everyone. While learning about hiking I bought a Katadyn Mini, it's a great filter, but slow. I would go with the MSR if I had to do it again.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Hiker,Tracker,Hunter

THE BEST WATER FILTER ON THE MARKET FOR BACKPACK/BUGOUTBAG
is...
http://www.survivalequipment.net/katadyn_hiker.html
The Following User Says Thank You to PorterinMaine For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper

I use a First Need Deluxe, as it is the only filter that will stop viruses too. The others, including the MSR and katadyn still require Aqua Mira, iodine, or bleach drops to kill the viruses that make it through.

With this filter I can put blue dye in a glass of water, and when I pump it through the filter into another glass, the water comes out clear. Not even the dye can make it past the filter.

Reviews and info:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/first...ater-purifier/

Old 02-06-2009, 01:10 AM
When the going gets weird

the blue dye is probably iodine, bleach, or chlorine. And all it takes to remove those chemicals after purification is activated carbon. the MSR miniworks has an activated carbon core, as well as a .2 micron ceramic filter... so you could use your blue dye with it if necessary.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:15 AM

I used to really like MSR products, but my friend had a MSR miniworks, which was made to poor standards, he brought it back on warranty 3 times and got the same problem with each replacement, then got his store credit back fed up.

I like kataydn, from the filters I have seen they are unrivaled in quality of construction and durability. although I am unfamilar with the first need filter posted here.

Last edited by Schwillis; 02-07-2009 at 09:30 AM..
Old 02-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Tacoma WA

Aquamira Frontier (20 gal)

Aquamira Frontier Pro (50 gal)

I would like a MSR or Katadyne for base camp, but these handheld units are tiny and will filter everything you need to worry about in N America. There are some excellent videos on youtube showcasing these filters.

Keep backup tablets or drops in case of filter clogging. This goes for all filters. Don't rely on iodine. It stinks and will not render cryptosporidium safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to JesterTac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwillis View Post
I used to really like MSR products, but my friend had a MSR miniworks, which was made to poor standards, he brought it back on warranty 3 times and got the same problem with each replacement, then got his store credit back fed up.

I like kataydn, from the filters I have seen they are unrivaled in quality of construction and durability. although I am unfamilar with the first need filter posted here.
Here is Backpacker Magazine's reviews of the best filters.

http://www.backpacking-guide.com/wat...r-reviews.html

Backpacking Water Filters vs. Water Purifiers

http://www.backpacking-guide.com/wat...purifiers.html
Old 02-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper

General Ecology First Need Deluxe Water Purifier

One of the most effective water purifiers on the market, the First Need Deluxe removes protozoan cysts, bacteria and viruses, using General Ecology's patented "structured matrix sealed canister". Importantly, it does so without the use of chemicals. That means no iodine or chlorine is needed so there's no bad taste in the water. (Note: it doesn't claim to remove all viruses; just down to the 0.2 level so as to meet EPA drinking water standards for purifiers).

If you are mechanically inclined and like to take your filter apart to scrape out clogged contaminants, you will be disappointed. The unit is sealed and when it clogs or starts pumping slower, you simply replace the cartridge. Replacement filters are readily available and should yours get clogged up on the trail, it will still pump but at a much slower rate.

The First Need Deluxe is ruggedly constructed and one of its benefits is that it connects directly to Nalgene bottles. It also has a protective sanitary cover. A double action pump produces a relatively fast flow with around 35-40 strokes per quart. The First Need has been around for many years and has won Backpacker Magazine's Best Gear Award. The design looks more standard than high tech but if you read the reviews you find that a lot of diehard backpackers have used it for years without complaint.

Weight: 15 oz. Average price: $103

http://www.backpacking-guide.com/wat...r-reviews.html
Old 02-07-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathonman View Post
I searched but could not find a thread on this (although I am sure it was covered) so sorry but...

What's the best portable water filter under $150 for backpacking and short term survival use?

Thanks!
The last filter I used was a MSR Sweetwater Purifer system. It is a MSR SweetWater filter packaged with a 2 fl oz bottle of purifier solution (basically bleach). Total price is now around $90. The filter will remove bacteria and protozoa, but won't stop free floating viruses; the bleach solution will treat the filtered water to kill viruses.

However, if you are backpacking in the U.S., then you really don't need to worry about viruses.

That being said, I'm waiting for a katadyn pocket to be delivered on Monday -- hopefully that will be the last filter I ever purchase.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Misfit Toy

Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Re:

*One of the most important thread topics on this forum* IMHO

Katadyn Pocket Filter - w/spare parts kit