Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM

Default Home made heating pad/mat for seedlings.

Advertise Here

I cant bring my self to laying down 35-45 bucks for one on line, got any DIY ideas?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:44 AM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,411 Times in 4,748 Posts

I'm not sure what the requirements are, but maybe look around local thrift stores for a heating pad/electric blanket? May be bad advice, but I'm not familiar with what you're talking about. Any chance of routing some heat from the home furnace to the base of the seedlings?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,191 Times in 4,116 Posts

Keep in mind heating pads for plant propagation are water tight. Any other kind of heating bad will short out with the slightest bit of moisture.

Donate to help this forum.
www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php

New Solar Powered Backup Generator Provides Instant Electrical Power In Any Outage Or Disaster.
http://images.ultracart.com/aff/E1DE...800/index.html
Old 02-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Permanently gone

Thanked 3,682 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinc View Post
I cant bring my self to laying down 35-45 bucks for one on line, got any DIY ideas?
Find an old water bed heater.
A friend built a large enclosed *bed* in their garage using 2 x 4s.
Put in a layer of play sand.
Put in water bed heater in center.
Then filled the whole *bed* with more play sand.
Plugged in water bed heater and let bed of sand heat up for 2 days (on high).
Voila! Nice warm bed to put seedling trays in.
I have also seen this done outside in a cold frame.
Water bed heaters are made to handle some moisture.
You can find them at yard sales and thrift stores for 5 bucks or so.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lamb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Hermit

http://www.gardengrapevine.com/BottomHeater.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,768 Times in 4,218 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

You can usually find dish warmers in thrift stores because only I use them....

When I bought my house, the refrigerator stuck out in the kitchen by eight inches, apparently the replacement was bigger than the old one. There was a closet right behind the frig so I cut a hole in the wall and pushed the back of the frig into the closet. That not only made the kitchen look better but that gave me a warm closet to raise seedlings in and bread. I put some shelves and lights in that and have been using it for some nine years that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,191 Times in 4,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
I personally believe we baby things too much these days. Just like animals and heat lamps lol. It isnt like in 1846 they had electricity to start plants or keep critters warm.
Excellent observation Dil. A sunny window indoors is enough to start most seedlings.

Or rig a table in the garage (I'm using 3/4" plywood 4' X 8' sheet atop saw horses.) with daylight florescent lights hanging from above with chains so they can be adjusted higher as the plants grow. As Dil suggested, I have put clear plastic sheeting on a framework over the table and that creates a mini greenhouse heating effect.

I am considering buying one of those mini-mini greenhouses (4' X 18" x 6') to place against the south side of the house for seedlings and small herbs during late fall, winter and early (cold part) of spring. I live in the suburbs right now and a larger greenhouse is out of the question due to silly HOA rules. In this instance a rubberized, waterproof warming pad would be needed. I'm considering buying the more robust commercial versions used in farming for pregnant and breast feeding hogs rather than the less durable versions available to home gardeners. These are more expensive from what I see in the ag/farm catalogs, but will last a lifetime in my opinion.

Donate to help this forum.
www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php

New Solar Powered Backup Generator Provides Instant Electrical Power In Any Outage Or Disaster.
http://images.ultracart.com/aff/E1DE...800/index.html
Old 02-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,816 Times in 2,164 Posts

I took some big flat plastic containers that I used for storage under the bed( got king size water bed now). Filled it most of the way with water and dropped in an old submersible aquarium heater. Takes a while to get up to temperature but once its there it keeps it stable.
The Following User Says Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2009, 01:44 PM

Default Home made heating pad for seedlings

I have been playing with the idea of sealing some small 6 watt - 12 volt automobile light bulbs in a ball of silicon (like the stuff you use to seal gaps in wet areas) or maybe resin and laying them in a bed of sand, inside a polystyrene tray (perhaps a tray from take out food). I would seal the top of the tray by glueing a cover of aluminium foil (building grade) over the top.
It would be possible to seal a thermostat switch in there too, and wire them up to a low voltage supply, like a car battery.
If this was all placed inside a plastic container (perhaps a 2 litre ice cream container) and lined with thin 6mm polystyrene sheet, I can see it being cheap, safe, and easily controlled.

Last edited by tommo; 02-27-2009 at 06:16 PM..