Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 02-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,682 Posts
Default Best AR15 Manufacturer on the market

Advertise Here

There is so many manufactures that I am not familiar with... who has the best quality gun for the money. On a AR-15 M-4 16 inch barrel with A2 sights. I don't consider DPMS or Olympic arms a Quality manufacture. However that is my opinion and preference. I have owned Colt 20 inch H-bar , Stag Arms upper with Bushmaster lower M-4, With current prices looking in the $1200-$1500 price range. Appreciate all thought and input as always.
Thank you
Greenhorn
The Following User Says Thank You to greenhorn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2009, 02:00 AM

I can only tell you my experiences. I own a bushmaster and a colt. While they are both fine firearms, the colt has the edge in my opinion. The bushmaster is a little more picky with the ammo and will sometimes jam if im using wolf. But this is rare and only if using cheap steel cased ammo. The bushmaster also dents the brass slightly in the neck. I found the bushmaster is slightly more accurate but that may just be from the 20" barrel as opposed to the 16" on the colt. These factors, along with the fact that Ive never had a single malfunction in the colt in over the year that Ive had it, would def make me recommend colt. Also I like the 1 in 7 twist that stabilizes the heavier hornady tap ammo that I keep for self defense. But good luck finding one for $1,500 nowadays. I got mine new for $1,200 a year ago but then again, there wasnt a pending AWB.
The Following User Says Thank You to lew2513 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Trapper

I like Bushy and S&W M&P flat top with rear flip up and an eotech!

Virtually never shoot them anymore due to ammo prices so they remain in the safe where they will stay until "needed" or I just cannot stand the urge for some range time. I think they miss me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raptor45 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2009, 08:06 AM
I love this forum

The Colt is the rifle all others try to imitate and you pay for the quality.....There are a number of good copies though...Rock River, Armalite, LMT, Bushmaster.....
Old 02-03-2009, 10:58 AM
American Infidel

Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,339 Posts

Best is a matter of opinion. People who love their AR's have been arguing over this topic for a long time. To give you some kind of answer though I'll say this. Colt has the most mil-spec parts, now military spec doesn't necessarily equal best but it can kind of help guide you.

Personally, I have a colt and I have a couple of S&W MP15's and all are fine guns.

Here is the "chart" put together buy RobS and the guys over at M4carbine. Please read the thread, it's not gospel, just a guide.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCDoberman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,020 Posts

IMO for the money, LMT is the best value.
A Colt 6920 is known as the best but, the lowers are proprietary due to FCG pin size.
They also have LEO/Gov. only roll marks which could be problematic in the event of a ban.
The mil-spec lower of a LMT is more versatile. The LMT has a proven reputation and has a Mil-spec TDP (Tecnical Data Package).
Noveske is an excellent brand but, far more expensive.
http://www.lewismachine.net
The Following User Says Thank You to techo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2009, 11:14 AM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,020 Posts

By the way, whatever you may or may not get. It's best not to make the same mistake I did as a newb and post pictures and tell what you have. It was just stupid of me.
Live and learn.
The Following User Says Thank You to techo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,682 Posts

I have a M-4, (Bushmaster lower Stag upper), that I want to expand into owning another M-4 , with Bushmaster being the first choice. My old school Colt Post Ban 20 inch HBAR is inadequate for mobility purposes to get another one.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Humble Coffee Maker

Thanked 2,180 Times in 874 Posts

I think that you really can't go wrong with any of the mainstream brands. Stag is the best quality for the price I think because everything from their receivers to their barrels is built in house, they are still considered a 'inferior' brand for some reason which keeps the prices low, and they have EXCELLENT QC & CS.

Rock River gives you a chrome bolt carrier group at no extra charge.
Bushmaster probably has the best barrels along with Colt.
Colt is the orginal however you cannot interchange parts with Colt's and most aftermarket parts which could be a problem for preppers or SHTF.
Bravo Company Arms makes quality stuff.
Daniel Defense is probably the brand I would go if I was gonna get a new AR because they are strictly built as a fighting carbine with incredible attention to detail and also good QC and CS.

Armalite, Bushmaster, Stag, LMT, RRA, S&W, etc. etc. will all serve you well.

I think all the lower receivers are generally made in the same couple factories and then the company stamp is placed on them. Someone can correct me if I am wrong or confirm this if its true but I am pretty sure there are only 3 companies that make the lower receivers and then the rollmarks are placed accordingly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ranger375 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,102 Times in 2,685 Posts

I like my Noveske, but Colts are really cheap right now. Buy one, and people need to stop with the stupid fear-mongering.
Also, any part on a 6920 after seriel number 70000 (2010 production or later, as the large-pin setups were all used up at the latest, summer of '09, although people have reported having the small pin FCG's as early as the 50K serial #'s) is going to interchange just fine with any other part made to spec.

Here is one for a little over 900 bucks. Pretty sure it's the new one, lol.
http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail....er=COLT-SP6920
Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Gettin By

Best there is you say. Well I have been through alot of them, and it seems as though I always end up back a Bushmaster. But I did get to demo one of these, and HOLY S***. Talk about nice and light. But you do without a doubt get what you pay for.

http://www.store.christensenarms.com...econ_p_65.html
Old 01-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Best there is you say. Well I have been through alot of them, and it seems as though I always end up back a Bushmaster. But I did get to demo one of these, and HOLY S***. Talk about nice and light. But you do without a doubt get what you pay for.

Not what I would want for a survivalist weapon. Looks near for a range toy, though!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Gettin By

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
Not what I would want for a survivalist weapon. Looks near for a range toy, though!
You would be AMAZED, this thing is built beyond belief. They are currently on something like a 2 year backorder. And from the rhumors going around it's all military and Police.
Any parts that you would ever have to replace are off the shelf AR-15, so parts availability is not a problem. It is just a No Holds Barred build and what can be done when price is not an object.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 PM
357 Mag, sex for the hand

Quote:

Ehhh, they really arnt any lighter than competitors.

From Guns and Ammo "Book of AR15" Febuary 2012 edition Page 14

Weight for the CA-15 Recon 5.5 - 7lb MSRP $2,995 - 3145
Weight for CA-15 Predator 5.5 - 7lb MSRP $2,995 - 3145

Daniel Defense M4V7 light weight
5.6 pounds MSRP $1449
https://danieldefense.com/rifles/mid...ine-v7-lw.html

I have a hard time beliving that Christensen Arms is $1,500 better than a comparable Daniel Defense.

Quote:
Any parts that you would ever have to replace are off the shelf AR-15, so parts availability is not a problem.
Their piston is proprietary (and states that on the link you provided) and I would question how well the carbon fiber barrel would hold up to high velocity, high heat, high round counts. I only wonder because Volquestrian 10-22 barrels state do not use HV ammo through them (IE CCI stingers)

BTW this thread is almost 3 years old
The Following User Says Thank You to 84tecate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Humble Coffee Maker

Its not fear-mongering....with Colt you pay for the name....not much else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ranger375 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger375 View Post
Its not fear-mongering....with Colt you pay for the name....not much else.
I meant some guy saying they go for $1500 when I can buy the le 6920 all day long at less than a grand. Colt is more than a name when compared to rra, dpms, bushmaster, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Survivor

Quote:
You would be AMAZED, this thing is built beyond belief. They are currently on something like a 2 year backorder. And from the rhumors going around it's all military and Police.
Any parts that you would ever have to replace are off the shelf AR-15, so parts availability is not a problem. It is just a No Holds Barred build and what can be done when price is not an object.
Barrel looks like a serious liability. Take my noveske over it for serious use any day.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Humble Coffee Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
I meant some guy saying they go for $1500 when I can buy the le 6920 all day long at less than a grand. Colt is more than a name when compared to rra, dpms, bushmaster, etc.
I would take a Rock River or a Bushmaster over a Colt ANYDAY. I have owned at least 2 of each. Colt doesn't give a crap about civilians anymore and they are only sustained by their government contracts. Their QC is crap and so is their CS.

Just look at their 1911's. JUNK. Give me a Springfield, Kimber, or even a Rock Island before I buy into that pony nonsense. They lost their way I am sorry to break it to you.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger375 View Post
I would take a Rock River or a Bushmaster over a Colt ANYDAY. I have owned at least 2 of each. Colt doesn't give a crap about civilians anymore and they are only sustained by their government contracts. Their QC is crap and so is their CS.

Just look at their 1911's. JUNK. Give me a Springfield, Kimber, or even a Rock Island before I buy into that pony nonsense. They lost their way I am sorry to break it to you.
Never had a 1911 that ran, so I cant comment there.
Ever been through any carbine courses or spoken with instructors that teach them? Ask how often rra takes a dump and how often colts go down. They see a lot or guns and know what works.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:29 PM

I got a Daniel Defense for 1300 and some change shipped to my local pawnshop from cheaper than dirt. I chose it because I can shoot just about any brand and case in it and don't have any problems until i run out of ammo.(then I have to go home) I Know a Colt is a fine rifle since I carried one while in Iraq. I do think which is my opinion that the DD is a much better rifle. So since you asked I would order one online and have it sent to a FFL I promise you will be a happy shooter. love that this thread is 3 years old lol