Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 04-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Recent Blog: Starting a new career
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,949 Times in 6,851 Posts
Default Best brands of knives?

Advertise Here

Opinions - what are the best brands on the market? My preference is cold steel and made in the USA gerber. My stepson and son bought me a winchester pocket knife that I really like as well.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Grunt

I have been doing a lot of research lately on knives and the brands people like.

Check out some of these:

SOG
Ontario
Tracker
Khukurihouseonline.com (hand made khukuri knives made in Nepal)
Old 07-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Blacksmith

Kershaw, Frosts Mora, and Opinal all make nice Knives.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Kilo Delta

I tear pocket knives up. Carry two most days one 5 inch, one 3 inch.

I've had a good luck with Frost knives for an everyday pocket knife. Besides that, I've also owned a couple of Winchesters which held up well. Smith and Wesson also makes a nice knife for your everyday blade. Have had mixed luck with a few "Flea Market Specials" type of knives.

For a camping knife or outdoors or survival knife I like the one that's in my hand. :D A full tang, carbon steel, and USA made are also qualities I look for in a quality knife.

Gerber makes a fine product but it's somewhat pricey. However, like most things, you get what you pay for.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:06 AM
I love this forum

Location: North Woods; but not the REAL north woods; not the northwoods that has icebergs
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 1

This is a qualified recomendation for Windlass Steelcrafts knives. These large knives and swords are made from high carbon spring steel. The company extols thier superior tempering methods. They make a number of 12-14" knives for under $100. You can see thier stuff at www.alantacultery.com and www.museumreplics.com They may also have thier own website.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Hunter

I confess! I am an unrepentant Case Knives junkie. Their "surgical stainless"
blades are'nt that hard to sharpen(even used a flat piece of river rock.) I carry a Canoe pocket knife every day at work for the last 10 years.
Talon-out
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to talon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2007, 03:06 AM
I love this forum

Location: North Woods; but not the REAL north woods; not the northwoods that has icebergs
Awards Showcase

I have owned a buch of kinves, different brands, different shapes, different blade materials, many of them failed for different reasons. My experiences with knives have shaped my opinions. A quality knife that suites your personal needs is one to hold on to wether it be 'stainless' or carbon steel. I have a D-2 steel folder that I have carried for 20 years. The blade has been resharpened perhaps 100 times and has gotten a bit thin in the process, it looks like it has been through a couple of wars, dang ugly, but I would not trade it because it works. A knife is a tool, a good tool is worth it's weight in gold when you need it. I have had the best success with quality carbon steel blades hence my devotion to them, but I am not an ultimate authority, just a man with an opinion. Just remember, everything on a knife can be repaired or replaced,except the blade, the blade is the heart of every knife.

Last edited by Kenno; 07-23-2007 at 03:10 AM..
Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 PM

You guys haven't mentioned Benchmade. I've been carrying their knives for about 5 years now. I tend to carry an auto opening knive it's beat to hell from being used a light hammer to tap things, wire cutter, screw driver, and most importantly beer bottle opener!
Old 07-28-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Frosts Mora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
Kershaw, Frosts Mora, and Opinal all make nice Knives.
I just purchased 3 Frosts Mora knives from http://www.discountcutlery.net/ for my BOBs I am putting together. $35 with shipping for all 3 and I got the package in two days. Just recieved them today so I haven't had a chance to really test them out but they are very sharp and seem to be sturdy utilitarian knives. 2 of the knives are carbon steel blades (red handles) the third (black handle) is what they call a Triflex blade...sort of a laminated carbon steel. The handles are polypropylene plastic with a lanyard hole and the sheaths are a plastic sort with a drain hole at the bottom. I think they will make fine general purpose utility knives and the price is nice
~Dogzilla
Attached Thumbnails
FT740.jpg   FT780.jpg   FT7oo series sheath.jpg  
Old 07-28-2007, 02:19 AM
I love this forum

Awards Showcase

About 45 years ago I had a triflex Mora with a wooden handle, this is a laminated blade, soft carbon steel on the outside and tool steel in the middle. The premise is that the tool steel holds the edge while the softer steel will flex under strain and prevent the blade from breaking. I never tested this but it held a very good edge! They are widely used by fishermen hence the plastic furniture. They should make a great utility knife.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:43 PM

The Frost makes realy nice knives..... They make some very nice hunting knives in a serie called Lapplander. I had my Lapplander för 20 years and it still works great. Fällkniven also makes nice knives. I also had good experience with Gerber and some ColdSteel models. The Cold Steel SRK is good for allround use I think.

Last edited by Laufstahl; 07-28-2007 at 04:46 PM..
Old 08-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,442 Times in 690 Posts

I got a Benchmade 556s (154cm) for Xmas and absolutely love it. Sharpen it about once a month. I've cut the bottom off of a 5 gallon bucket then 10 min. later sliced a tomato. Very, very strong for a fold out.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:15 AM

The best brands of knives: Strider, Busse Combat, Randall Made, Emerson

They all have their advantages, they all are great knives. Randall by far has more choices than any brand on the market.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:01 AM

i like scrapyard knives...

ranger knives are also good, as are ontario & beckers (if you can get them or already have them.)

for the penny i like frost, kj ericksson and coldsteels :D

but i sure do love khukuris from himalayan imports, tora & khukurihouse (sadly, ive sold few from my collection)

Old 09-12-2007, 09:05 PM

Benchmade offers a lot. SOG still makes some good knives. You can check which models are made in Taiwan if you don't want that. Spyderco makes some great pocket knives. Kershaw offers good folding knives to the average joe, on up to however much you want to spend. They could stand to add some fixed blades. Those are just the manufacturers that immediately come to mind. There are a gazillion makes that can provide a good blade.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:06 PM
survivalist/outdoorsman

im stuck on the cold steel srk
The Following User Says Thank You to shuck 407 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2007, 07:07 PM
survivalist/outdoorsman

what do you guys think about the cold steel srk?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:54 AM
Off to the Woods!

Spyderco knives are without a doubt the best folders on the planet! Whats more, Sal Glesser is the most ethical businessman I have ever encountered....and whats even more, he's a dedicated Steel Junkie:D The steels that go into his knives are just mind blowing!

No matter what other knife you own - get a Spydie:D
Old 01-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Prepared

One brand that nobody mentioned yet: Roselli

www.roselli.fi

Nice premium quality traditional puukko-knives.
The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2008, 03:21 PM

I keep it cheap because I lose folding knives all the time. I buy these from Target for around $10 and this one is selling for $10 including shipping on ebay. I couldn't be happier with them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eddie-Bauer-est-...QQcmdZViewItem