Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 01-31-2009, 02:41 PM

Default Grinding corn

Advertise Here

Bought a hand operated grain grinder. Read somewhere you could use corn from a feed supply for grinding corn meal. Tried it and made great cornbread. Is this an OK place to get corn for this purpose? I mean it's only $8 for fifty lbs. Could pack for long term storage for little cost.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:08 PM

Just make sure it is not genetically altered seed.That is the only concern i can think of off hand.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,629 Times in 2,916 Posts

Another thing you might want to do is make sure it is Organic.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:42 PM
homesteader

Yesterday's price was $4.21 a bushel(56#) so $8 is a bit high for a 50# bag but as long as it's not sprayed with anything for germination etc, you're good to go. Also note that planting a 1/2 acre of corn will give you 3,100lbs of corn on the average.

I grind a 5 gallon bucket of corn about every day here with my Diamant grinder. I feed myself, the chickens, the horses, the sheep and an occasional steer with what I grow here on my farm. If you decide to store corn in bulk, don't grind it and then store it, store the corn whole either in the plastic burlap sacks or in food grade buckets. Be darn sure it's popcorn fart dry before putting it in a bucket.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmpaints For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
make sure that it hasnt been sprayed for rodent infestation... That is your number one worry for guying feed store corn or any other grain for that matter.
This would be my biggest concern. Feed corn is not stored in the same manner as that intended for human consumption; so you may get some trash and chemicals in it....probably not enough to hurt you - probably.

Organic doesn't make much difference to me. You are very, very unlikely to find bulk organic feed corn at any resonable price.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:10 AM

Thanks for the info. I will try to find the answer to these questions about the feed store corn. I have nine acres and plant corn every year. I have never dried it before. I have always creamed it or froze it on the cob. How would I go about drying it. Once dried I thought I would put in mylar with O2 absorbers and then in buckets.
Thanks again for the help!
Old 02-01-2009, 06:12 AM

Forgot to ask. What is a good variety of corn to grow for drying, storing , and grinding or does it really matter? Yellow, or white, does it matter?
Old 02-01-2009, 06:36 AM
*** Forgives, I don't

Thanked 2,041 Times in 657 Posts

Hers is a good link for you to try. I grow the Silver Queen (white corn).

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/corn1.html

http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/...corn/corn.html

I hope this helps you.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:41 PM

I'm going to try greenfeild corn this year,it's an heirloom feild corn ,I got my seed from heirloom acres.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:47 PM
homesteader

Northstine Dent is the sweetest corn for cornmeal. Grow you corn just like you would any corn but allow it to mature and dry on the stalk like field corn does. I hand pick mine right into a bucket and store it to finish drying in a home made corn crib. I use a hand kernel thingy or my hands to strip it off the cob for grinding, which ever is more convenient at the time. Dry corn pops right off the cob with very little effort.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rridgeoutlaw View Post
Hers is a good link for you to try. I grow the Silver Queen (white corn).

I hope this helps you.
We plant Silver Queen for eating...IMO its as good of a sweet corn as you can grow. Have you tried drying it? I was worried that the high sugar content might make it go sour.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:11 PM
homesteader

Southern Living, when I was much younger, I read somewheres about the sugar converting to starch after the corn was picked. It's why I never buy sweet corn at roadside stands. When I pick my sweetcorn for fresh eating or canning, I take a bucket of cold water out with me and put the ears in it right away and keep them there until I'm cooking them or processing them. I've always done it that way. On that premise, I'd say sugar content wouldn't affect it drying as it would turn to starches.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmpaints For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2009, 01:59 PM

Do you know where I could get some Northstine Dent seed. Couldn't find anywhere to purchase it on the web?
Old 02-02-2009, 02:26 PM
homesteader

johnnyseeds.com
Old 02-02-2009, 04:11 PM
"Through a glass, darkly"

Thanked 1,371 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadave View Post
Thanks for the info. I will try to find the answer to these questions about the feed store corn. I have nine acres and plant corn every year. I have never dried it before. I have always creamed it or froze it on the cob. How would I go about drying it. Once dried I thought I would put in mylar with O2 absorbers and then in buckets.
PapaDave,
I dry a LOT of stuff, but I don't have the time, acreage or inclination to do corn in any volume. I had to do some searching, word-of-mouth, but I found a feed supplier in my area who grows and grinds his own blends. They are technically not "organic", but they are free of sprays and fertilizers, and 80% the cost of most commercial products. I can get "cracked" corn from him, and grind it the rest of the way. The only consideration with an outfit like this is that their sanitation doesn't have to meet standards for "human consumption", and there is some dust in the final product. If you can live with that, it might be worth the search to eliminate planting, harvesting and interim storage issues.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Over taxed and under paid

Default Field Corn

We have had great luck grinding regular field corn. I have access to plenty of farm ground where corn is planted by the thousands of acres. A couple of the farmers I know let me pick 4 or 5 bushels each year right before they harvest. We shuck it, get the kernels off the cob clean it and grind it. We do a fairly coarse grind for making cornmeal and like it the best. One note, we store it in the freezer after grinding and don't worry about drying it.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:31 PM
old hand

Thanked 6,230 Times in 2,966 Posts
Default dent corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadave View Post
I don't think you'll have much luck drying and grinding sweet corn (I think you figured that out already.)

Dent corn will dry by itself if you leave it on the stalk. You'll be able to tell when it's dry by grabbing with both hands and twisting the ear, if the kernels shell off easily, it is dry.

If you pick it at that time, leave it on the cob until you are ready to grind it.

You could just leave it on the stalk, harvesting it couple of dozen ears at a time all winter long (you'll loose a little to wildlife.)