Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-30-2009, 03:31 PM

Default Storing Spices long term

Advertise Here

I have read a lot about storing grains, beans, salt, sugar etc. What I was wondering is how to store spices?

My wife and I use a TON of garlic in all our cooking we like to use fresh when we can but especially in the winter we use the powdered stuff. So I was thinking how can I put up a significant amount of that and keep it long term.

I use 3 liter bottles for my sugar and salt. Recently I started drinking this green tea stuff and it comes in a 1.5 litter bottle good handy size for storing spices I would think.

So the question is can I pour the garlic in there with an o2 absorber seal it up and forget about it for 5-10 years or do I need to go the Mylar bag and food grade bucket route?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Hunter

I have many spices of all kinds, including bouillon cubes,many large containers of powdered garlic, i just leave them in the original package and store them where it's dry, cool and dark.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Time to hit reset

Thanked 26,848 Times in 11,087 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

All great info, many thanks to all.

Last edited by OLDWarrior64; 01-30-2009 at 08:35 PM..
Old 01-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Haha

Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,083 Posts

Why don't you buy the jars of minced garlic? It is sealed in oil and will last as long as all canned stuff does. You can buy it in small jars or large. Even after opening they last a long time if kept in a cool place. Store in dark as the glass jars are clear.

Also....You can buy minced dried garlic. I buy the garlic and onion. When your about to cook take some dry minced garlic and put it in a saucer with a lil bit of water. It will rehydrate and you got glose to fresh garlic.

Dry herbs will loose flavor over time so it is best to store them as tight as possible. Or grow your own spices as things like Oregano, Chives, Basil and Parsley are hardy and easy to grow plants.

-Cade
Old 01-30-2009, 07:47 PM

I would love to grow my own spices and get my garden started back up but in my current situation i jst don't have the sapce to grow much of anything just a small deck.

this will be the case for at least the next few years so I am looking to store some of teh spices I use frequently.

Thanks for all the suggestions
Old 01-30-2009, 08:07 PM
ET3

funny.......my wife works at a spice store p.t. If anything, all of our preps will at least taste really good LOL. sorry i have no clue about long term storage. she brings something home everytime she works but we just keep it sealed in the package/jar.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsls View Post
funny.......my wife works at a spice store p.t. If anything, all of our preps will at least taste really good LOL. sorry i have no clue about long term storage. she brings something home everytime she works but we just keep it sealed in the package/jar.
I have used just about any rubber sealed container(mason jars are best for long term 2+ years) use basic canning procedures, ie: sterilize container FIRST, boiling water bath for container when full(even dry spices) and tightly screw on sealing lid, allow to cool to room temp before storage(root cellar is nice).-Willyo.