Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 11-19-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Wasr-3

Advertise Here

Figure I would start a new post for the wasr-3 in case anyone would have questions about the rifle.
Wasr-3 Is an AK chambered for 5.56x45 or .223.
I believe they where never really an "Issued" weapon for any military.
And I believe they where really just made for commercial use.
(Feel free to correct me)

I own 2 Chinese SKS's and have no issues with these rifles.
(Great rifles for the price, or use to be, Price seems to be going up)
I decided I should maybe look into buying an AK in 7.62X39 since I already have a few rifles that fire the same round.

But at a local gun show I found a Wasr-3 and even thought it's .223 , I could not resist my urge to buy.
I purchased the rifle for a little over 300.00 dollars.
New still in the box, two 30rd magazines. After the purchase I went out to Gander Mountain and purchased 100 rounds of wolf ammo .223 and 50 rounds of the Remington express .223 ammo
(Wolf is alot cheaper for target shooting)
I took the rifle home and broke it down to give it a good cleaning
(As I do every new firearm)
There seemed to be allot of grit/metal particles inside the rifle.

"After" Purchaseing the rifle I did some research on it.
I have heard that wasr-3's have many issues as far as jamming and feeding the next round.
Well when at the range, my rifle was no exception. Every single round jammed.
The bolt seemed to be getting hung up on either the hammer or the next round that was in the magazine.
I did a lot of research online to see if I can trouble shot this issue. But I discovered that Century arms does have a one year warranty on all new rifles.
So Just 3 days ago I shipped the rifle back to century for a fix or maybe a new rifle. I guess we will wait and see.
But I really do like the rifle.....its light....low recoil, and if i can get this jamming issue resolved it will make a good plinking rifle.
but if you’re looking for an AK rifle with fewer problems I would suggest a wasr-10 or a SAR.
If I would have known about the issues before buying the rifle...
(I should have did research on AK in .223 first)
I would have invested an extra 100 bucks or so and purchased a wasr-10

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited by spaz218; 11-19-2007 at 11:13 AM..
Old 11-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Pastor

Thanked 1,473 Times in 573 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

The biggest problem with AK rifles in .223/5.56 x 45 is the 45
The demension is 39mm, not 45.
This gives an inherant feed issue.
I will not go into the detail, but if you intend to buy an AK, buy one that shoots what it was designed for.
7.62x39mm
5.45x39mm
Old 11-19-2007, 07:41 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,604 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevPaul View Post
The biggest problem with AK rifles in .223/5.56 x 45 is the 45
The demension is 39mm, not 45.
This gives an inherant feed issue.
I will not go into the detail, but if you intend to buy an AK, buy one that shoots what it was designed for.
7.62x39mm
5.45x39mm
Well said.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:28 AM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,890 Times in 10,484 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

on Saiga 12.com they go into such intricate detail on how to combat this, it sounds like a surgical convention. Luckily Izhmash seems to have a MUCH better record with wacky offspec calibers. They even managed to somehow modify the AK-108 reciever even more to accept 30-06. Talk about overkill. XD
Old 11-20-2007, 05:43 AM
VIP Member

Try one in 7.62x39 and you will love it.I have two,both Romanian,and have had great luck with them.I had to do a little file and polish act on both guns mags.Good initial cleaning is a must...they usually have lots of cosmoline.Everyone has their own opinion on things but for me this has been the most dependable rifle I,ve owned they shoot when others won't.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:04 PM

Yeah my next ak purchase. (hopefully before the next election)
I will be looking into a 7.62x39.
and hten maybe sell the wasr-3.....Or if it works ...just keep it.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:55 PM

I would take the 5.45x39 over the 5.56
Old 11-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Son Of Liberty

Thanked 1,547 Times in 652 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post Outstanding Informative Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Ops View Post
I would take the 5.45x39 over the 5.56
While it is a great round it lacks the ability to shoot the more modern 223/5.56 loadings. Often when talking about the 5.56 we think of the 55 grain loading that is the most effective round in the affordable loadings or the ss109 that is a failure due to both in accuracy and lack of effective fragmentation. More modern loadings are being used in combat now such as the MK262 ammunition, currently the most sought after 5.56 loading by them on the tip of the spear (Special forces).

The MK262 is a 77 grain bullet (Only to be used in a 1x7 twist barrel) is a much much better choice at any range. The 77 grain bullet has a much thiner jacket allowing the bullet to fragment at much lower velocities then either the 55 grain or 62 grain ammunition. The bullet has a longer effective range , carries its energy better and fragments better at both close range and long range.

The 5.45 is decent but lacks the ability to have such a heavy loading, what makes it so effective is the hollow cavity in the nose that is completely cover by the jacket. When the bullet impacts the tip generally beds over allowing the round to begin spinning end over end through the flesh of the target. What it lacks is the effective range of the 5.56 and the short distance effectiveness. When the round is traveling at high speed as it is in close range it dose not begin to tumble , and it often dose not fragment. It is a much much better choice the the 7.62x39 in combat type shootings it still falls short of the 5.56.

In any case shot placement is key, the will all kill so it comes down to what weapons platform is the easiest and fastest to use. For me the choice is simple having timed my performance with the AK47, AK74 and AR15 I clearly preform better with the AR15. All 3 have proven just as reliable in the testing I have done, its moot to me if one can be chipped out of concrete and still function as that is not where I store my weapon and not realistic battle conditions.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 PM
"Dolt"

Thanked 3,201 Times in 1,204 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz218 View Post
..... century ....
I think I see your problem somewhere in that post...... cant quite put my finger on it ....
Old 11-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Pastor

Thanked 1,473 Times in 573 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Informative Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaterar View Post
While The MK262 is a 77 grain bullet (Only to be used in a 1x7 twist barrel) is a much much better choice at any range. The 77 grain bullet has a much thiner jacket allowing the bullet to fragment at much lower velocities then either the 55 grain or 62 grain ammunition. The bullet has a longer effective range , carries its energy better and fragments better at both close range and long range.

I disagree that this 77 grain bullet is better, as it "Kills" rifle barrels due to the length of the bullet causing exsecive wear on the bore of a 1 in 7 twist.
This also causes bullet distortions, hence decreased accurecy.
The SF boy's want it for the close up kill potential from the higher tourque energy and probable fragmentation.

The 5.45 is decent but lacks the ability to have such a heavy loading, what makes it so effective is the hollow cavity in the nose that is completely cover by the jacket. When the bullet impacts the tip generally beds over allowing the round to begin spinning end over end through the flesh of the target. What it lacks is the effective range of the 5.56 and the short distance effectiveness. When the round is traveling at high speed as it is in close range it dose not begin to tumble , and it often dose not fragment. It is a much much better choice the the 7.62x39 in combat type shootings it still falls short of the 5.56.
I agree the 5.45 is decent but lack bullet fragmentation.
This is because it was designed to stay together, as per the Geneva and Haag treaties.
I disagree that it is not effective at distance.
7N6 and 7N10 bullets are very effective, the 7N6 bullet WILL penetrat 5/16th" armor plate at 300 meters, and will "Tumble" at 11 CM, which gives "Two" wound cavities, not one like the 5.56.
First wound cavity is a temporery, and the second is the permanant wound cavity.
The 7N6 will tumble twice inside the body and exsit off line of entry.
The 5.56 is such a poor performer, the military "Had" to go too something heavier, too be effective.

In any case shot placement is key, .
100% on shot placement !!!
Ἀπόδοτε οὖν τὰ Καίσαρος Καίσαρι καὶ τὰ τοῦ Θεοῦ τῷ Θεῷ”) (Matthew 22:21)
Old 12-02-2007, 06:58 PM

I have to agree with the premise that is you want an AK get it in 7.62x39. If you like the 5.56 or 5.45 that is fine with me. You have to do what is right for you. Me I'll stick to the 7.62x39 or the 7.62 NATO.

Just a couple point that might be of interest to y'all.

The AK was designed to shoo the x39 rounds, and the AR was designed for the 5.56 round. Neither works well when the rounds are reversed.

The 5.45 is becoming popular because of the inexpensive price. But remember no local (USA) manufacturer produces it. Unless you can stack it really deep, what do you do if the politicians block the importation if it?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Oooo Crumbs!!!

If it were my rifle I'd ship it off to a good AK smith like Jim Fuller. I've been witness to too many CIA customer service nightmares to send a rifle back to them(If the sent it out broke how would they know how to fix it?).

My exp with CIA cetme's tells me that 50% or more of the rifles CIA builds are more like a 90% finished parts kit rather than a proper rifle.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:09 PM

Still waiting on the rifle..which is fine with me. Take as much time as needed..as long as it works.
It's been about 4-5 weeks now...I guess I could have tried to fix it myself..But if it has a warranty....why not use it.
If it's still not functioning the way it should I might try one or two things..if still jamming..I'll take it to another gun smith.....If still jamming.....
I'll throw it off the highest mountain in the grand canyon....On fire!
:-)