Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 AM

Default Bug out in an RV???

Advertise Here

I seached and did not find anything on "motorhomes" or "RV's"...so sorry if this has been discussed...

I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on buggin out in an RV...obviously you would need to have a place to go in your RV, but do y'all think it is a very good idea? For one thing it is pretty conspicuous and would probably attract more people than you would want if TSHTF...BUT on the plus side it can carry a lot of stuff and would be a good "base" I think...

How could you camoflauge it??? (I think that would be essential)

Is there a way to put solar panels or something on it for power???

Any other ideas and input would be greatly appreciated! tia...

Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 AM

Default Here's a link to a pic

http://www.out2rv.com/photos/000854_1.jpg
Old 01-29-2009, 12:42 AM
In Bat Country

Thanked 1,344 Times in 655 Posts

The one potental problem is how thin the skin of it is...

another is the MPG vs a truck with camper on it... both suck but at least you can have a a 4X4 on a truck.

also you can more reasonably add bullet proof (up to 30-06) plexy in the interrior of the small camper.... the RV is big, if a raider wants what you have inside... he would just have to pump the back end (bedroom) full of holes
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2009, 12:49 AM

The MPG might be better, but the tank on the RV is huge so I can get to pretty much wherever I would need to get on one tank...we store it w/ a full tank btw...

I didn't really think about how thin the walls are...thats a good point...

BUT, we do already have the RV anyways so I was just wondering how feasible it would be to use it as a BOV and then maybe as a home base to set up on some land we own...I've really just started thinking about this and am in the brain-storming phase...

I was pondering whether it was feasible to dig a sort of ditch on the land we own to drive the RV down into so that it would be much less visible...almost like a bunker that can move?????
Old 01-29-2009, 01:17 AM
In Bat Country

In a mass evac situation... you would be screwed in it, also once you get to the middle of nowhere its big and loud....

It is ideal when it comes to water storage, amenities etc, but I think the one major weak point is getting to where you want to go. But then again are you in an urban area or in a city like Lubbock? (5 miles to open country any point in town)... if you can bug out fast and get clear of people, then you shouldn’t have a problem moving around...

Again, it still offers no protection to the people on the inside unless modified, but if you can hide yourself in a spit of nowhere... you can bug out quite comfortably without many of the problems that having a fixed building to go to (no one can occupy it before you can get to your location
Old 01-29-2009, 09:56 AM

Default RV...

Well I live in Norman, OK...so if I go south then I can get away from people fairly easily, but the land we own is NE...

The RV is not a perfect, long-term solution, but it is what we have right now so I'm trying to figure out the best way to use it in a SHTF scenario...
Old 01-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Doomsayer

Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,013 Posts

Whatever gets you out of the city works for me.

An advantage of an RV would be a place to live once you get to the wilderness.

Just have a trigger-point that gets you bugging out AHEAD of the hordes who will try.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kregener For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2009, 10:53 AM
one day at a time

Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,064 Posts

If you could go in advance. Might be a good Idea. My thought would be trying to conceal a monster like that once you arrive to your location. Also the possibilty of haveing to go of the beaten pass due to traffic,downed bridges,lines,planes. I think you might not beable to get there as easily or at all!

Edit: So the pic just came up. Nice. I like the colors that wont be to hard to hide. I think!
The Following User Says Thank You to kingjames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Trapper

thats what i plan on doing with my camper. it has plenty of room and i took out the toilet and put a shower in with one of those hang bags so i dont have to shower in the cold and i have been looking into geting a solor pannel for it. its just a single axel so i can get it in alot of places and i painted it camo but have alot of camo netting i keep roled up on top for shade or to hide it better. i also been thinking of puting a water tank on top of it but then i will have to worry about it being real top heavy
The Following User Says Thank You to steve5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,012 Times in 426 Posts

I have a 26' trailer I use for recreation but I keep in the back of my mind for bugging out. Camoflouge - under their nose around a bunch of other RV's - I bought a membership to a group of campgrounds years ago. I can keep the camper where it is - about 50 miles away (fresh water lake, salt waterfront, very wooded and heavy with game)- or have the option of several other campsites on the east coast.

Yes you can put solar panels on it - they sell them specifically for RVing - check out Campers World - lots of useful stuff there. Almost everything in it runs on 12V DC or propane including the refrigerator (except for microwave, a/c, TV)

Keep a john boat, fishing gear and a gas powered golf cart at the site (they get great fuel efficiency)

Quarters may be tight for extended stay - but more comfortable than a lean-to.
The Following User Says Thank You to ax4jc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Target Shooter

If you're going to an area where it will get cold, remember to carry insulation and underpinning with the RV. You will save yourself a ton of hassle with frozen water lines (another thing to take is repair line and joining kits for your water lines) and the RV/camper will be much warmer inside. Also carry the proper equipment to fill your freshwater tank from buckets, and have a way to empty your holding tanks away from the camper. Without proper sanitation, you're doomed.

As for camouflaging, park in the middle of a stand of trees, if available, carry a couple of gallons of appropriate color paint and cover with camo netting. If someone out to do you harm gets close enough to see you then, they are too close already.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmzline For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
In Bat Country

I just remembered another thing, you might want to also buy a mini wind turbine (they also sell them especially for RVs...) wind blows day and night; being on the south plains you could get more out of it then the solar…

And if you can modify the walls to make it so that a .22 wielding nutjub can’t off everyone inside… look into the clear plexy that the mythbusters use

a quick search showed that to modify a room... depending on the level you want. it will be $1000-$4000

but the high is III rating

Last edited by Texas Jack; 01-29-2009 at 12:58 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2009, 01:49 PM
VIP Member

I rembering see a motorhome advertised in the old "American Survival Guide", they did a story on it .
It was built by Allegro (sp) it boasted enough fuel onboard to drive clear across the U.S.
Also had storeage lockers in the belly like a Greyhound Bus. Solar panels were factory installed.
It was very impressive and so was the price tag , Almost 30 years ago it was in the $85,000 range.
I always thought for that kind of money you could buy a few acres and build a cabin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alaskan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Jack View Post
I just remembered another thing, you might want to also buy a mini wind turbine (they also sell them especially for RVs...) wind blows day and night; being on the south plains you could get more out of it then the solar…

Any idea how much either of those cost??? I think that would be very important... Also how much is a good water purifer...I assume I could just put lake or river water in a purifer and it would be good???
Old 01-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,517 Times in 944 Posts

with proper knowledge and scouting, camping can be very comfy. i think it would be smarter to just get a larger tent with pack stove, solar shower, cots, and a 5gal bucket with that toilet seat conversion from Cabelas. that and a lill bushcraft and you have yourself a damn nice home
Old 01-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,466 Posts

I think a camper of some sorts is a good idea for a temporary bug out scenario. For the long term bug out then remote property with a cabin is the way to go. I have a camper thats set up to bug out, but only for a couple of weeks. I live in the country though,so there really isn't much of any place for me to bug out to...
Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,517 Times in 944 Posts

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

cant beat it for keeping your MPG down. I'd think this or for more of a long term, a solid one would be the way to go.

OR my dream set-up

http://www.4x4offroads.com/camping-s...l-vehicle.html

heres the site to buy.
http://www.campausa.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CPL_BS_88 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2009, 10:04 PM

Does anyone know any good sites or any people on this site that know a lot about RV's??

I researched those wind turbines...look pretty sweet...just drive over the pole w/ the front tire of the RV...$700 for the turbine and then you have to pay seperately for installation and the pole to put it on...
In Oklahoma there is no shortage of wind...but I gotta do some more research and see if it would be sufficient OR if I would need to supplement the turbine w/ some solar panels...
Old 01-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeoman Agrarian

As for camo...you could buy some of that netting that the army puts over artillery and such.
The Following User Says Thank You to heehaw For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Prepping = life insurance

Thanked 1,169 Times in 569 Posts

This is the best RV to bug out in...

(Sorry, you'll only understand if you've seen "STRIPES" )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to resolver For This Useful Post: