Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 01-28-2009, 12:04 AM

Default Remington 870 Tactical

Advertise Here

I'm going to get my first gun soon, and am wondering what shotgun I should get. What are the main differences in performance between the Remington 870 express vs the wingmaster, and what about the tactical vs Express...I really like the look of the tactical ones, I'll be using it for hunting. Thanks
Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 AM

Is there a different performance between Express and Tactical, and is the tactical even legal in Canada with the 7 round clip...or can that be changed?
Old 01-28-2009, 01:56 AM
Elitist Gun Snob

Here it is...
The wingmaster can take 3 1/2" shells. The Express is standard and can take 3" shells. The tactical takes 3" shells, has an 18 inch barrel and holds 7 shots.

I WOULD NOT recommend using a tactical for hunting. It is for killing people...not wild game. You are going to have a massive spread of shot at any distance with a tactical given it's much shorter barrel and it's absence of any choke, as it's a cylinder bore. The best one for hunting is certainly the Wingmaster, but I'd bet my last buck that more than anything else the Express rules the woods and lakes as far as number of models sold.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,909 Times in 2,842 Posts

I have both. I have a highly modified Rem. 870, 8 rd, winged front end sight and peep rear, all after market. It shoots great but not for hunting. finish is "black dull coat". I don't know the name.

I also have a Wingmaster, fixed chole 12 guage. Blue steel.

The old Wingmaster does not rust. The new Rem does. If you are only getting one shotgun, get the Wingmaster.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,348 Times in 551 Posts

I realize you mentioned two gun brands but I have to say my benelli is amazing. It is pricey in comparison to the two you mentioned but well worth the money spent.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:46 AM

There is some internal differences too. Express has "synthetic" trigger housing. Also the shell extractor is a lower grade metal. The Remington Web-sight has the download in differences. I've had an 870 Express for about 12 years now. Excellent gun, I think I gave 200 bucks for it at Wally World.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,517 Times in 944 Posts

shotguns dont have clips...or if they do please let me know because combat loading is a PITA!
Old 01-29-2009, 02:50 PM

http://www.remington.com/tactical/
Old 01-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Hiker

thats the model 7615 tactical rifle. .223 calibre

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...5_tactical.asp
Old 01-30-2009, 07:22 AM

http://www.saiga-12.com/

not a Remington?

Also the Knoxx Sidewinder

Last edited by Moonshine Kidd; 01-30-2009 at 07:35 AM..
Old 01-30-2009, 05:26 PM
I feel good.... . . .

Default This is the ticket... . .

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/index_sgt.htm

Old 01-30-2009, 05:33 PM
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS

If you are going to use it primarily for hunting go with the Express or Wingmaster. Most states have laws that resrict the magazine capacity to 2 rounds plus 1 in the chamber, at least for birds. For defense go with the tactical. Shorter barrel, higher capacity. I think you can buy a shorter barrel and a magazine extension for the Express so that you could change it to a tactical shotgun when you are not using it to hunt.

FYI: A clip is what is used in an M1 Garand rifle. Magazine is the correct terminology for a shotgun. The difference being a clip holds ammunition and a magazine houses ammunition.

Last edited by NEWGUY556; 01-30-2009 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: fyi
The Following User Says Thank You to NEWGUY556 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2009, 05:40 PM
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL_BS_88 View Post
shotguns dont have clips...or if they do please let me know because combat loading is a PITA!
No clips for shotguns but here is the next best thing.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...d%20loaders&s=
May need to copy and paste, sorry not to computer literate.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL_BS_88 View Post
The saiga shotgun uses a magazine,like an M1-A....instead of a tube magazine..
Old 02-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Inglourious Basterd

Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,471 Posts

Quote:
The saiga shotgun uses a magazine,like an M1-A....instead of a tube magazine.
I believe those are semi-autos though ,not pumps.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:06 AM
This is a great survival forum

One can get a Reminton 870 Express to do double duty. It takes a little work with the gunsmith. The most important mods are to remove the "Dimples" from the magazine tube (so you can install a extended mag tube) and have the forcing cone reamed to prevent jamming with some styles of roll crimped shells.

After the above is done. One can install the extended mag tube at will so to be in compliance with game regs and common sense. And when defending the home put on the extra length tube.

Then as far as barrel configurations one barrel is an upland (bird) barrel with interchangeable choaks. and the other a rifle sighted, smooth bore slug barrel.

So in the field one can have the flexability of differant barrels for differant game. But for home one can have the SMOOTHBORE (not rifled bore) slug barrel to shoot both shot and slugs for home defense.

Rifleman 336

Last edited by Rifleman336; 02-05-2009 at 08:40 PM..
Old 02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,517 Times in 944 Posts

I've been wanting to do exactly this but with the price of barrels, hell i'll just save and buy 500 round for the SKS and save for my pistol...

The shottys great but i personaly would rather have a nice pistol.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:47 PM

Cpl BS 88 the man lives in Canada and pistols for the most part are out of reach and more trouble than there worth for average Canadian. So thats a non issue as far as SKS, I don't know if there legal under there "assualt weapons law". Also as far as over penitration is concerned Buckshot is better than a high power rifle rounds. It will stop sooner than rifle bulliet.

Rifleman 336
Old 02-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman336 View Post
Cpl BS 88 the man lives in Canada and pistols for the most part are out of reach and more trouble than there worth for average Canadian. So thats a non issue as far as SKS, I don't know if there legal under there "assualt weapons law". Also as far as over penitration is concerned Buckshot is better than a high power rifle rounds. It will stop sooner than rifle bulliet.

Rifleman 336

what on earth are you talking about and where did you get your information from?

the only extra stipulation to handgun ownership in canada is that, besides your restricted license, you have to be a member of a gun club or shooting range.

i just put money down on an enfield mk2 no1 revolver today

there is also no assault weapon ban in canada. you can buy an SKS or AR15 (when in stock) from any of these shops

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/default.asp?Pg=3

http://www.ellwoodepps.com/

http://www.milarm.com/specials/specials.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to DiSmAnTLeR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSmAnTLeR View Post
what on earth are you talking about and where did you get your information from?

the only extra stipulation to handgun ownership in canada is that, besides your restricted license, you have to be a member of a gun club or shooting range.

i just put money down on an enfield mk2 no1 revolver today

there is also no assault weapon ban in canada. you can buy an SKS or AR15 (when in stock) from any of these shops

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/default.asp?Pg=3

http://www.ellwoodepps.com/

http://www.milarm.com/specials/specials.htm

Ok, my understanding from other Canadian posters taking about the outlawing of the AK47 and I think FN FAL/L1A1 (?). I was under the impression there were other military pattern semi auto rifles on the big no-no list. That and mag capacity has been restricted, has it not. That and isn't it VERY HARD to get that restricted licence for a pistol than for that of a long gun? That and how does Caniadian law treat a citizen that uses a pistol in self defense in the home?

Here in the states in places like New York it's easier to get a rifle or shotgun than it is to get a pistol. They (the liberal politicians)figure one is going to use the long gun for hunting (even though they're are trying to take that justafication away) and that there is no justafication for a pistol other than to kill another human being. Ofcourse there trying to go after "Assualt" rifles and shotguns before they go after the hunting weapons.

In a self defense shooting, depending on what weapon is used, the prosecuter will try to portray villify you to the jury as cold blooded killer with a handgun. But if you use a rifle or shotgun (thats not a military looking weapon) the defense attorney will try to potray you as a person that pressed a hunting weapon in to a means of defense.

What I'm trying to say is the impression I got from the poster that he like other Candians don't want to jump through the hoops to get the restricted licence that and with the outlawing of the AK and other battle pattern semi auto rifles I was under the impression you firearms laws were much "further along" in it's restrictons. Not that our country isn't being force down the same path to evential total firearms prohibition.

Now I do know the law says you have to keep you weapons unloaded and locked up in home at all times. So it's bad enough that your response to a life threating emergancy is hindered in this manner. But the I guess the next question is what happens to the Canadian citizen that uses a firearm in general to defend ones self? Do they (the prosecution) try to come down harder depending on how you defeneded yourself? Like using a hand gun or military pattern weapon Vs. a Hunting shotgun or rifle? I hope it isn't like England and Australia where more or less that "right" has in all sense of the word has been outlawed.

I was trying to work with in the frame work of the laws and common sense. If one isn't allowed to own or will to go through the hoops to get a pistol that avenue is closed to him. Using a SKS or any miltary pattern rifle might make you look worse in court. And then using any high power rifle in general (especially in urban areas) may not be the best idea to be shooting rounds that could shoot through several exterior walls, nevermind interior ones. Granted with certain calibers and in some cases certain loads/special ammunition can lessen the liability if one misses.

But in general buckshot from a shotgun is easier to stop than rifle bulliet, and thus a better choice is you don't want to kill your neighbour, when defending youself from the badguy.

Rifleman 336