Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 01-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Civilian Warrior

Default Penetration of different 12 gauge slugs?

Advertise Here

I have a 12 gauge 870 Express with an 18 inch barrel that is my HD long gun, and right now, I keep it loaded with Winchester 2 3/4" copper plated 00 Buck. The thing is, I'd like to keep it loaded it with either 2 3/4" Brenneke 1 ounce KO slugs, or 2 3/4" Remington 1 ounce Slugger slugs. Does anybody know anything about the penetration characteristics of these two loads on the human body? I know they'll penetrate plenty deep enough, but what I'm concerned about is over-penetration. Considering that they're all lead, I would think that over-penetration wouldn't be too much of a concern (they'll flatten out), but I'd like to know for sure. I've heard some people say that they usually exit the body and then drop to the ground a few meters later. Can anyone confirm that, or is it BS? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:09 PM

Well I have not shot a person with a slug but I have shot through the metal tubing part of the target stands were I do my three gun shooting. The slug past thru the both side of the metal tube and wood stake and proceed in to the dirt berm.

I would think that a slug would easily over penatrate and could still do damage to anybody behind the person that was shot.

Another reason not to use slug would be that they would easily go through walls which means you could hit innocent people if you missed your target.

Last edited by cavegeo; 01-25-2009 at 06:14 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cavegeo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,626 Times in 832 Posts

I agree with the above post about a warning of overpenetraion for in house use.

However, I will tell you this, the Brenneke will penetrate much farther in my personal experience than a regular rifled slug from Remmington, Federal, or Winchester. They are designed with a slug that is much less soft and with deeper penetration ability. Still, sometimes the Remmington, ect are better for expansion because of the softer lead.

I've personally seen a Brenneke go through the hind end of a 8 point buck and come out the neck (length wise through a grown deer). Brenneke's are brutal.

One thing EVERYONE should keep in mind, is that with a slug, yes, it will penetrate great distances and possibly cause harm to someone or somehting behind the intended target, but you are only responsible for one projectile. With Buckshot you are responisble for 9 to 41 projectiles (depending on buckshot pellet size)...just somehting to think about. (besides the fact buck severly limits range and does not penetrate well at all)

The whole just falling out a few meters beyond the body? Sounds like a urban myth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ls1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Civilian Warrior

Thanks to both of you. I don't think I'll be using slugs in my shotgun for HD, unless I'm out at my Grandparent's place in the country, and even then, I've got an SKS handy for a long arm. Good point about "what if I miss." I'll also keep in mind that Brennekes penetrate much deeper than Sluggers. I did take a large doe in 2002 on Pearl Harbor day with my 20 gauge 870 using 2 3/4" Federal foster-style slugs, but I can't remember whether the slug exited the body or not. Either way, I think that would be an apples and oranges comparison.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Grey Ghost, Spirit of '76

I've hit half inch steel plates at 25 yards with 12 ga. Remington 3 inch 1 ounce Sluggers and made perfect holes through them. I hate to think how easily they would penetrate a person! Waaaaay too much over-penetration for home defense!!! I'd go with something like: Hornady TAP 2 3/4 in. 00 Buck FPD (For Personal Denfense) shell for home defense!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Unrepentant Sinner

Any 12 gauge slug can be expected to cause a perforating wound (all the way through) in the human body. Even larger buckshot sizes (OOO and OO) may exit the body from a front-to-back angle. The Brenneke slug will penetrate more than the Foster type slugs due to their being usually made from harder lead alloy and being solid rather than hollow based.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:59 AM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,272 Times in 1,579 Posts

Brenneke's have greater sectional density causing them to penetrate deeper.

here's a visual aid:

For HD, buckshot will penetrate less in building materials.
Smaller sizes like #4 buck may be better suited for these close distances.
00 and 000 reduced recoil buckshot have 8 and 9 pellets, penetrate deeper, and may be less of a liability due to having better patterns and lower pellet count, reducing the chance of a stray pellet.

If they pattern well, i may go with S&B 21-pellet #4 buckshot @ an advertised 1210 fps for my HD shotguns
Old 03-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Prepared

I had slugs in my 870 but changed to buckshot because of penetration concerns.

As I understand it, the buckshot will flatten much quicker than a slug. So, if you miss the buckshot will not keep on truckin' as much.

As was rightly said, there are more of them. However, they are smaller and don't have the composition to do as much damage individually.