Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 11-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Trapper

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1
Default blackhawk Tatang knife

Advertise Here

Anyone here have any info on this knife? Like to know how the quality is and how good it keeps an edge . Any info on this product would be great.

http://www.uscalvary.com/Productinfo...0584&TabID=548
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soldier506 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2009, 11:46 AM

Yea just got this knife has not come but from the looks to be a good chooper nutnfancy as one but has not done a review on it but not sure yet.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:58 AM
BEEN HERE TO LONG

looks like it would be a good camp knife it would be to heavy for anything else.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:04 PM

Default It's crap.

I think that Tatang Ilustrisimo RIP, if he were alive, would laugh his ass off at a knife that small.

Tatang fought with these:
Moreover, in their camping videos even Nut'n and Buggetnuster would tell you that Blackhawk knife is too small for camp duty. MAYBE a daypack knife...but you aint 'processing wood' like they do in their videos. Nothing LESS than 9 inches will do at a camp . I keep telling people your camp knife better have a 12-15 inch blade and a 1/4 inch spine. People have processed game with that barong for CENTURIES. Yes you can always carry a small knife for other things.....

It's really more of a badly designed 'fighting' knife. I'd take a German chef knife to a fight LONG before I'd take one of those.
Attached Thumbnails
barong_01.jpg  

Last edited by BladeGuru; 07-30-2009 at 11:10 PM..
Old 07-31-2009, 05:47 AM
Closed.

Thanked 26,136 Times in 10,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeGuru View Post
Nothing LESS than 9 inches will do at a camp . I keep telling people your camp knife better have a 12-15 inch blade and a 1/4 inch spine.
I must be doing something wrong then my main beater being the 7inch MOD knife and Ive had no problems
Old 07-31-2009, 07:00 AM

Default Hey to each their own.

I personally say that its too much work but if it works for you.....

I couldn't imagine building shelter or baton-ing logs with 7 inches.

BG
Old 07-31-2009, 07:08 AM
Optimism is Cowardice

Thanked 16,942 Times in 4,463 Posts

It looks kind of like a chef's knife...
Still say a modernized kukri beats it in all departments.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:59 AM

I guess only time will tell how good it handles in the woods.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 PM

happens to be featured in Modern Warfare 2. other than that i havent seen or heard anything about it. i just stick with my Ka-Bar
Old 08-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Go to guy

Looks like a nice pig sticker. An Arkansas toothpick with a modern twist
Old 06-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Recent Blog: Glock Parts List
Survival Nerd

I just received mine. Its one helluva solid knife. I didn't like the handle so I removed and replaced with custom wrapped paracord. The only aspect I really hated was the sheath it came with. It had a retention snap that was too short to actually close, and the sheath itself doesn't look like it was designed for the knife. It really looks like a basic universal sheath that could fit pretty much any knife that length. I would really like to get a custom sheath made for it. Any suggestions?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:02 AM
shottist. Brit spelling.

Thanked 7,571 Times in 3,859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPrepper View Post
I just received mine. Its one helluva solid knife. I didn't like the handle so I removed and replaced with custom wrapped paracord. The only aspect I really hated was the sheath it came with. It had a retention snap that was too short to actually close, and the sheath itself doesn't look like it was designed for the knife. It really looks like a basic universal sheath that could fit pretty much any knife that length. I would really like to get a custom sheath made for it. Any suggestions?
Get yourself a piece of oak-tanned horsehide leather about 12"x24", 12 oz....
Old 07-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Professional Knife Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER5051 View Post
happens to be featured in Modern Warfare 2. other than that i havent seen or heard anything about it. i just stick with my Ka-Bar
I was just about to say :D

Quote:
I hate how some of my favorite knives are just totally defamed by the sheaths that came with it. The Gerber Silver Trident I own was one of them. Call Chest Nut Ridge Knife Shop and speak to Tim. He made mine out of Kydex and I couldn't of been happier.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:31 PM
The European Outdoorsman

I think is is 1080C steel, so it will be so similar to the 1095 that Ka-bar uses, that you probably won't be able to tell by use.

The sheath looks like total junk, but you could make a kydex sheath for cheap and pick up a tech lock for multi-mounting purposes...
Old 07-03-2011, 12:57 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
I think that Tatang Ilustrisimo RIP, if he were alive, would laugh his ass off at a knife that small.

Tatang fought with these:
Moreover, in their camping videos even Nut'n and Buggetnuster would tell you that Blackhawk knife is too small for camp duty. MAYBE a daypack knife...but you aint 'processing wood' like they do in their videos. Nothing LESS than 9 inches will do at a camp . I keep telling people your camp knife better have a 12-15 inch blade and a 1/4 inch spine. People have processed game with that barong for CENTURIES. Yes you can always carry a small knife for other things.....

It's really more of a badly designed 'fighting' knife. I'd take a German chef knife to a fight LONG before I'd take one of those.
Quote:
I personally say that its too much work but if it works for you.....

I couldn't imagine building shelter or baton-ing logs with 7 inches.

BG
I still fail to see why people want something thats that big

my main knife is 4 in blade and battoning woods silly i can get a fire started with some fingerlings and a pencil sharpener a hell of alot faster than splitting little pieces of wood if i need to chop or split wood im bringing a axe or hatchet to the fray same with building a shelter if i am building a shelter and planning on being there for any length of time a axe will be the name of the game and if it comes down to it my etool makes a decent hatchet for sapplings but the ops knife looks interesting would be interested in hearing more about its specs
Old 07-03-2011, 01:55 PM

Ive been eyeing this for a long time. I think I may want to pick one up for an impression review.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:26 PM
The European Outdoorsman

A large 1/4" thick knife has it's place, but it is in a totally different class than the Blackhawk Tatang. The Tatang looks like a fighter and probably won't bode well for batoning, if you're into that. Even better, for skinning game, a smaller, lighter, CHEAPER, yet reliable folder like the RAT 1 or Buck 110 probably would be better for skinning most game.

The tatang is a military fighter knife and it screams it. If that is what you do, I'd say it is a nice hunk of steel, minus the sheath!

The Following User Says Thank You to kingpin44 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2011, 01:58 PM
The European Outdoorsman

Quote:
KYDEX...It is better than leather! I know I am going to get a lot of heat for that, but for utility, kydex, for looks, leather. Kydex will resist elements better and will last longer, if you get some good strong stuff! Plus, there are free vids on youtube that show you how to make your own kydex sheath AND you can customize it for a belt or MOLLE system. You probably could make a nice custom sheath YOURSELF for $30 or less and it can be done with the tools you already have!
The Following User Says Thank You to kingpin44 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Does anyone here know if this knife was made in the USA?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:14 AM
The European Outdoorsman

If you click on the image, it clearly shows "Taiwan" printed above the choil. I think that for what it is worth, it isn't coming from a reputable manufacturer of knives, but Blackhawk's stuff is top notch!

Do you guys want me to pick this and the night edge up and do tests and reviews on them and get back to you?!