Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 01-21-2009, 04:06 PM
ruralist

Default Oregon, good or bad place to live?

Advertise Here

Out here I've been with a lady I met, whose home is in Oregon, since september. What's Oregon like? I had it down for a good state then someone today was posting it had bad politics, inflated land prices and so on. In her view it's warmer on the arid side of the mountains even in winter and there is definately seasonal change all over, with hot spring and summers, so it doesn't seem the icicle I had imagined from reading here. Is it really sparcely populated compared to most? What are the gun laws? Are jobs lacking even before the recession? Views of those who have at least stepped foot in it are most envied. And please do not suggest a preferential state instead, as if we could go anywhere straight away it would be Texas already.

thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to arrexian For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 10:30 PM

I live in McMinnville Oregon(in western oregon). As far as the politics your right. Our 2 biggest population centers are Portland and Eugene, both are very liberal, and by very I mean "VERY" and since those counties have the population they control the vote most of the time. Other than those 2 areas we are a pretty conservative state. As far as real estate values they are pretty high, but coming down some, because of the bubble bursting nationwide. Jobs are pretty scarce especially in the logging and construction sectors. East side of the state is definitely better unless you are waterproof. Gun laws, I don't know a whole lot about, but I believe they are pretty much the same as the rest of the western U.S. Hope this helps. Any other questions just ask......Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Dupree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,595 Times in 9,527 Posts

Oregon gun laws ...

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/
Old 06-22-2010, 11:04 PM

Politics sucks, very liberal in the city and they have enough population to control the state.
Taxes are going through the roof along with state fees, DMV etc.
Temps depend on where you are, I'm on the east side we haven't seen 80 degrees yet this year. Gun laws aren't too bad yet. Some areas are very sparcely populated, 40 to 60 miles between small towns. Jobs are hard to find, and starting your own business is tough, the state is very anti business.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Prepared

My in-laws live in southern Oregon outside Klamath Falls. I love it out there. Slower pace to life than in the liberal hippie cities like Portland, Salem, and Eugene. Steer clear of those cities and you should be able to find land for a decent price. Unfortunately anywhere you live in Oregon you can't get away from the terrible state politics.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Taoist

Thanked 2,219 Times in 886 Posts

Beautiful country in some places, but the politics blow totally.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,311 Times in 638 Posts

much like washington, liberal and crowded on the west side, conservative and open spaces on the east side. we all would be better off if salem north to canada was a state and all of the eastern parts of the states combined to form a state. never happen but a nice dream
Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks

Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,939 Posts

I love Oregon. Eugene and Portland are liberal, Salem is considered conservative.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:09 AM
I love this forum

Arrow Pacific NW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage0925 View Post
Beautiful country in some places, but the politics blow totally.
I agree. I spent about eight years in Washington and I liked it better; WA has no income tax just a high sales tax, at least it did when I was there. Idaho is nice too but got a bad rep as a Neo-Nazi hangout.

The entire Pacific Northwest is beautiful. I miss it!

Old 06-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,195 Times in 528 Posts

I live in Beaverton (Lower West Portland Metro) and I'm dealing. Both my wife and I prefer Salem, but the jobs are up here instead. Owning my own business, I can't just leave for a new job. Our plan is to expand down in Salem, live outside the city on some decent land. Eventually we'll make it, unless something crazy happens and we all have to use our 'l33t survival skillz'. (Sorry, I'm a computer guy)

The Oregon I-5 corridor is 2 hours from anywhere. Climbing, skiing, the ocean, desert, etc... Lots of land out East if you want privacy and cheaper prices, great climate.. Love it here, except for a few odds and ends. It is expensive in a lot of areas due to the damn Californians moving up and driving the prices up.
The Following User Says Thank You to doh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,292 Times in 3,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dupree View Post
I live in McMinnville Oregon(in western oregon). As far as the politics your right. Our 2 biggest population centers are Portland and Eugene, both are very liberal, and by very I mean "VERY" and since those counties have the population they control the vote most of the time. Other than those 2 areas we are a pretty conservative state. As far as real estate values they are pretty high, but coming down some, because of the bubble bursting nationwide. Jobs are pretty scarce especially in the logging and construction sectors. East side of the state is definitely better unless you are waterproof. Gun laws, I don't know a whole lot about, but I believe they are pretty much the same as the rest of the western U.S. Hope this helps. Any other questions just ask......Brian

Sounds much the same as Washington. Seattle pretty much does all the thinking for the rest of us due to their size

I'd add that the west side of both states may vote democrat, but that doesn't always translate to liberal. We have had some firebreathing Conservative Democrats go to both Olympia and Eugene that in many cases were more conservative than the Republicans.

Almost forgot Oregon is a damn fine place. Great fishing too.

Last edited by METALHEAD1; 06-23-2010 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: yup
Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 AM
Taoist

Thanked 2,219 Times in 886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrop View Post
I agree. I spent about eight years in Washington and I liked it better; WA has no income tax just a high sales tax, at least it did when I was there. Idaho is nice too but got a bad rep as a Neo-Nazi hangout.

The entire Pacific Northwest is beautiful. I miss it!

Well...I'm half Paki...I'll take my chances with the neo-nazis. Liberals make me more nervous, and my teeth can't take a whole lot more of me grinding them every time I read the news. The neo-nazis at least stay on their side of the state.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:06 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,449 Times in 941 Posts

I grew up in the I-5 corridor. All the little towns between Eugene and Roseburg, (Cottage Grove, Drain, Winston). Very very pretty country, wonderful soil for farming/ranching, the weather has season, but summers and winters are both fairly mild (very wet though). But (kicks dead horse) the blasted politics have ensured I will probably never go back. My folks tried to build a new home on our property (15 acres they'd bought for around 85K back in 91). Ended up having to put in a manufactured home, paying till they bled for the new driveway, septic system, etc...all thanks to the county gov't, and the inane land classifications.

OR economy has gone to pot, (in more ways than one), because all the hippies say logging and mining are bad. That's a HUGE part of OR economy. When logging and mining go out, so does the service industry, etc. There's a lot of drug issues in the Eugene area, and it's spreading out to the smaller towns too.

Most people are decent folks, fairly friendly. Lot of religious wackos, both from the Wicca/Pagan side, and the Christian side. I nearly got suspended in HS for listening to "satanic" music (was really a Christian-themed song, but since it was in Gaelic and Latin, it must be satanic). Cottage Grove area has a TON of churches, and of course each one is the right one. Had a science teacher once poll the class and subsequently skip the entire unit on EVILution. (*rolls eyes*).

I've only been out to the east side a couple times. Once wsa driving through on my way to points east, and the other was a dispatch to Fossil as part of a camp/support crew. Nice and empty, but I don't know enough about the local ecology to make a judgement on how it would be living out there.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:00 AM

I live in Eugene, OR now. I moved here from inner city Portland for school. Its pretty awsome besides all the liberal sheep(people still defend Obama here:/). You are allowed to open carry here in Lane county. CCW is "SHALL" issue. So much rain, finding a water source wouldn't be too difficult. And besides the valley and desert, very hilly. I would recommend this great state, hopefully I won't ever have to leave it.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Green Eggs and Spam

Thanked 7,354 Times in 1,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrexian View Post
Out here I've been with a lady I met, whose home is in Oregon, since september...
SEPTEMBER OF 2009!

Holy THREAD bring back from dead to life thing ...

Is Oregon even part of the Union yet?