Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-18-2009, 02:13 AM
Yeoman Agrarian

Default Military training for civilians

Advertise Here

Do any of you know of anybody(ex-military) who offers training similar to what soldiers receive? Shooting, tracking, basic first aid, survival skills?

ETA: Please dont say boy scouts.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:19 AM

I do believe that the Australian police and park services train in all the area's you’re interested in. They are non military.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:25 AM
Yeoman Agrarian

Thats a little far for me.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,343 Times in 377 Posts

I can say from personal experience that the military training in all these areas is overrated. All they offer is a venue for practice. The actual training methodology is nothing different than you would get anywhere else, or couldn't do yourself. Time spent practicing is the most important part. they don't do it any special way. In fact, in many ways its very watered down due to the logistics, bureaucracy, and safety issues associated with running training for large groups of people.

I can honestly say, in the areas of unarmed combatives, rifle marksmanship, wilderness survival, and even physical fitness, I have spent more personal time training in these things (by a factor of at least 10) than I have in the military. And it shows when i have to measure my skills in these areas against other soliders.

For example, at the last training school i had to go to, we did one week of combatives, for 1 hour a day. To get level one certified in combatives takes 40 hours of training. There were only 3 level one people in the entire platoon, and one level 2 (80 hours). Personally, I have spent 8-10 hours a week for a year training combatives on my own time, and it showed, as I easily outmatched everyone I faced.

Same thing with rifle marksmanship. An entire day of range operations will consist of you shooting approx 50 rounds. These range days aren't even once a month. On my own time I have spent countless hours at the range and shot thousands of rounds of ammo. This doesn't even include the fact the military range time is EXTREMELY regimented in its format. On your own you can introduce any number of training techniques and scenarios.

so the bottom line is, just train. time spent practicing is the key. you can use the goal of military training to guide your efforts, but don't worry too much about the actual training programs they use, because they are one-size-fits-all programs designed to minimize cost and maximize safety, and only exist in their current form after being filtered through many layers of government bureaucracy.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Humungus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2009, 02:37 AM
15T :)

well if you figure out a place tell me, I need a refresher before I ship to AIT
Old 01-18-2009, 02:38 AM
Yeoman Agrarian

Good points.

The main reason I would want to go to a survival camp or something like that is for instruction. How to make traps, alternative fishing methods, how to make a fire in wet conditions, finding edible plants, etc. I already know more than the average person about surviving in the wilderness, but I can always learn more and I want to. I can read it from a book but seeing it first hand and having instruction makes it much easier to learn.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 AM
John Has a Long Moustache

Google is your friend...mostly.
http://www.indianamilitia.org/
Check their training toward the bottom of the page.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wulf23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2009, 01:44 PM

I am ex military and have some of this knowledge, but being brutaly honest here I have found that youtube.com has awesome instructional videos on a lot of stuff that you wouldnt normally think would be there. Look it up. If you find something you do want to learn watch the vid and then practice what you saw on a family member or whatever meets the criteria of what you are trying to learn.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:13 PM

Default I donít know what region youíre in

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehaw View Post
Do any of you know of anybody(ex-military) who offers training similar to what soldiers receive? Shooting, tracking, basic first aid, survival skills?

If you are serious about learning some pretty advanced survival skills I would get in touch with Ron Hood of Hoods Woods. He is one of the best survival experts that I have met and listen to. He is goofy at times but he knows what he is doing and talking about. He takes a group up in the hills in Idaho for a fee of course. I hope he still does his private education classes. Anyhow you can get in touch with him about one on one lessons or advice by email at [email protected]
Old 01-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Mountain Critter

Thanked 17,434 Times in 779 Posts

Ron Hood is great; if you can't attend classes, at least look at his videos.

Also take a look at the courses offered by Kevin Reeve and the other folks at On Point Tactical:

http://onpointtactical.com/
Old 01-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomoftheHills View Post
Ron Hood is great; if you can't attend classes, at least look at his videos.

Also take a look at the courses offered by Kevin Reeve and the other folks at On Point Tactical:

http://onpointtactical.com/

I have taken classes from all over the world and Hood is the best hands down. You couldn't get a better instructor than him. He has a sense of humor, he can help everyone from the beginner to the most experienced, he has more patence than I could ever have in dealing with people who "know it all". He's not going to get all spiritual on you and you'll have a good time. He seems to have the ability to read his students and know who needs to be eased into things and who needs to be thrown in to the deep end. I have never had a better teacher than Ron Hood and I've been taught by many different people.

blt
The Following User Says Thank You to Swamp Shuck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Eyes Wide Open!

Good info, thanks everyone!
Old 01-18-2009, 04:04 PM

This is what you want.
http://www.usrsog.org/
Old 01-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehaw View Post

Old 07-29-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socom2173 View Post
This is what you want.
http://www.usrsog.org/
Do these guys train civilians?
Old 07-29-2009, 05:41 PM

Just my two cents, but try Myke Hawke at his website www.mykehawke.com. He is ex military and has been fetured on the Discovery Channel. Also appeard on an episode of Andrew Zimmermans Bizzar Foods. His website is very interesting and I am considering attending one of his classes.
The Following User Says Thank You to robbo1103 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2009, 07:02 PM

For what you want try a wilderness survival school there are sveral for 1 week to over a year in length from a couple hundred bucks to several thousand dollars also some colleges/universities offer classes as well. Check Google for "survival schools:
Old 07-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tito48 View Post
Do these guys train civilians?
It's meant for people already in the military, but for those who aren't in special forces.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Numquam Succumbe

Thanked 4,917 Times in 2,037 Posts

I don't know if you've ever heard of him, but Ray Mears is a premier popular culture survivalist. He doesn't offer any classes, but he has a LOT of GREAT information on the subjects you inquired about.

Anyways, if you don't know about him: Ray Mears. There are a nice variety of youtube video's about him.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Really?

Thanked 10,063 Times in 4,908 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

The Boy Sc.........oh, never mind.