Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-12-2009, 02:24 AM
Prepared

Default 9mm shotshells for pistol?

Advertise Here

I have never really thought about this before. My brother, dad and I all use 9mm's, and my brother just brought up the thought of using 9mm shotshells in our glocks. I know nothing about using pistol shotshells, do any of you? Not for defense of course. It would be more geared towards a round used for grouse or something like that while hiking. Keep the pistol loaded with our regular ammo, but carry a magazine with the shotshell in it for bird, or rodents, etc.

Let me know what you know about 9mm shotshells, I've looked a little on line, I'm thinking about just getting some and trying it out.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,664 Posts

Okay for things you can take a bead on, like snakes, mice/rats when they pause. But you still have to be fairly precise, as the shot doesn't pattern out as far as you might think. For a fast moving rat, say, you'll need to be almost as good a shot as with bullet. Advantage is less damage to structure, if you're shooting inside something.

For birds on the wing, I don't think you'll find much joy; just not enough shot in a 9mm for the distances you need to shoot to get a reliable killing pattern.

Disadvantage in both cases: $1+ per shot.
Certainly, for birds on the wing, it doesn't pay, even if you're good enough to play.

(to be perfectly honest, I've only shot them in .38 revo, but that should be close enough to same for valid opinion on 9mm)

- OS
Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Dangerous Old Man

Thanked 1,176 Times in 523 Posts

1 shot deal...feed probs w/plastic bullets, busts the shell.
I've used ratshot in revolvers extensively, tried it in a .44 auto,bad deal.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 19,778 Times in 7,083 Posts

Very little range from a short pistol barrel, don't waste your money unless you are using it for snake shot. It's not worth a squat for man or animal.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
The Following User Says Thank You to madcritter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 AM
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)

Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,239 Posts

won't function in a auto properly, don't waste your time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to murderface8 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2009, 02:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,325 Times in 2,508 Posts

In .45, my Glock 21 and 30, and the Colt Commander all function fine with the CCI load as well as the long unavailable Remington crimped load.

In 9mm, my Glock 19, H&K P-7 and Smith 39 all function fine with the CCI loading.

The polygonal rifling disturbs the pattern less than conventional rifling and shoots a tighter pattern. This is one time I prefer a Glock. I keep a full 10 round mag of the CCI .45 loading in the door of my patrol car, they work fine on snakes but that's about it except maybe rabbits at short range.

Also, the shorter barrels normally work better, they don't seem to impart as much pattern disturbing spin on the shot load.

You will be able to load the round into the chamber generally only once or twice at best from the magazine.

Grouse tend to shrug off most of the small shot found in the pistol shotshells, the exception is the .410 revolvers/derringers out there loaded with #6 shot.

If you want to take a grouse with a handgun, stick with a jacketed flatnose or semi-wadcutter profile bullet. Hollow points do too much damage but the others just punch a pencil sized hole in them.

Al Miller and Mike Venturino have both done excellent articles on handgun shotshells in Handloader and Rifle Magazines. They're worth searching for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,606 Times in 1,276 Posts

Not real good for your barrels either. Don't go there.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:50 PM
I feel good.... . . .

About the only real use for these are when you are out shooting with your buddies and you want to pull one over on them. Take an asprin out of your pocket and bet them you can shoot it mid air, toss it up and bang...... . . you are the sharpest shooter in the bunch, might even put some money on it to make it really interesting.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woody Creature For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Redneck

i have killed alot of upland game and small game with them in .22 and .38 revolvers, but when i put it in my kimber .45 it jamms so i wouldnt usr it in an autoloader, just my recremendation
Old 01-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnan Barrett View Post
Not real good for your barrels either. Don't go there.
I got some .22LR shotshell but I just saw it in 9mm.
So, shotshell will ruin your pistol barrel?
Is that with consistant shooting of it or just a few rounds?
I'd hate to mess up my barrel.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 104,583 Times in 33,527 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Martian View Post
I got some .22LR shotshell but I just saw it in 9mm.
So, shotshell will ruin your pistol barrel?
Is that with consistant shooting of it or just a few rounds?
I'd hate to mess up my barrel.
It won't damage your barrel. Lead is softer than steel. And the CCI with the plastic capsule certainly isn't going to hurt it any either. They do foul the barrel a little quicker if you shoot a bunch of them. The problem is that they're almost worthless other than as snake rounds at close range.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,259 Times in 750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
It won't damage your barrel. Lead is softer than steel. And the CCI with the plastic capsule certainly isn't going to hurt it any either. They do foul the barrel a little quicker if you shoot a bunch of them. The problem is that they're almost worthless other than as snake rounds at close range.
I agree with this point. At the cost, and IMO, for the return, it's simply not worth it, and in 9 you very nearly might as well shoot standard bullets.

What is your purpose or intention? Is this sort of for plinking fun or actual Survival?

If the latter, for the cost of stocking up enough of the ammo to have decent amount you could get a new or used single shot in .410 or .12 and ammo that would be perhaps $200 (or even less) that would do 10X the job of these, plus you can use it for a lot of other functions.

If it's all about size, I'm not a fan personally but a hot item now is the Taurus Judge type .410/.45 combo for this type of thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to BurntEyes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Shotshell penetration in the Judge is abysmal and the patterns aren't that great either. Which essentially makes it an overweight, overly large, .45LC. Great range toy, novelty and conversation piece. Box of Truth has some interesting testing of the gun and several loads.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Shotshell penetration in the Judge is abysmal and the patterns aren't that great either. Which essentially makes it an overweight, overly large, .45LC. Great range toy, novelty and conversation piece. Box of Truth has some interesting testing of the gun and several loads.
Yeah, I've seen reviews, not much of a fan.

Though, if this is for plinking a sorta goofing around, might work for OP. I wouldn't mind dorking around with one, though I wouldn't purchase one.
The Following User Says Thank You to BurntEyes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlibird View Post
In .45, my Glock 21 and 30, and the Colt Commander all function fine with the CCI load as well as the long unavailable Remington crimped load.

In 9mm, my Glock 19, H&K P-7 and Smith 39 all function fine with the CCI loading.

The polygonal rifling disturbs the pattern less than conventional rifling and shoots a tighter pattern. This is one time I prefer a Glock. I keep a full 10 round mag of the CCI .45 loading in the door of my patrol car, they work fine on snakes but that's about it except maybe rabbits at short range.

Also, the shorter barrels normally work better, they don't seem to impart as much pattern disturbing spin on the shot load.

You will be able to load the round into the chamber generally only once or twice at best from the magazine.

Grouse tend to shrug off most of the small shot found in the pistol shotshells, the exception is the .410 revolvers/derringers out there loaded with #6 shot.

If you want to take a grouse with a handgun, stick with a jacketed flatnose or semi-wadcutter profile bullet. Hollow points do too much damage but the others just punch a pencil sized hole in them.

Al Miller and Mike Venturino have both done excellent articles on handgun shotshells in Handloader and Rifle Magazines. They're worth searching for.
Missed this post, good info, thanks.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEyes View Post
Yeah, I've seen reviews, not much of a fan.

Though, if this is for plinking a sorta goofing around, might work for OP. I wouldn't mind dorking around with one, though I wouldn't purchase one.
I guess I shouldn't complain. It outperforms my cheapie Cobray .410/.45 derringer somewhat. But I only bought that thing for close range snake use because it fits my pocket.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,279 Times in 1,142 Posts

The last CCI 9MM shot shells I bought were $1.80 ea. I think the CCI .22 mag work just as well for snakes. Like others have said, I think snakes would be the only feasible use for them.
I really like the .410 RIO for snakes. They will get the job done.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 PM

Here is a good review on 9mm shotshells.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JoeBobRedneck007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2013, 08:55 AM
I love this forum

Seems it would be good for rabbit and squirrel. i dunno. maybe not. would have to be dang close
Old 09-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 17,640 Times in 4,924 Posts

I reload 44 mag brass with #9 shot. I use Styrofoam for the wad and then a little Elmers over the top.

They work well for snake and mice at close ranges. I've used them inside my barn.

The 44 case holds more shot and the gun has a longer barrel than the 9mm

I could see where the 9mm would be "iffy" with these.

I certainly wouldn't pay the prices they have at the stores for these.
The Following User Says Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post: