Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 01:24 AM
DaggerD DaggerD is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 315
Thanks: 82
Thanked 320 Times in 117 Posts
Default 9mm shotshells for pistol?



Advertise Here

I have never really thought about this before. My brother, dad and I all use 9mm's, and my brother just brought up the thought of using 9mm shotshells in our glocks. I know nothing about using pistol shotshells, do any of you? Not for defense of course. It would be more geared towards a round used for grouse or something like that while hiking. Keep the pistol loaded with our regular ammo, but carry a magazine with the shotshell in it for bird, or rodents, etc.

Let me know what you know about 9mm shotshells, I've looked a little on line, I'm thinking about just getting some and trying it out.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:02 AM
Oh Shoot's Avatar
Oh Shoot Oh Shoot is offline
Doubts Most Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: East Tennersee
Age: 65
Posts: 3,554
Thanks: 247
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,377 Posts
Default

Okay for things you can take a bead on, like snakes, mice/rats when they pause. But you still have to be fairly precise, as the shot doesn't pattern out as far as you might think. For a fast moving rat, say, you'll need to be almost as good a shot as with bullet. Advantage is less damage to structure, if you're shooting inside something.

For birds on the wing, I don't think you'll find much joy; just not enough shot in a 9mm for the distances you need to shoot to get a reliable killing pattern.

Disadvantage in both cases: $1+ per shot.
Certainly, for birds on the wing, it doesn't pay, even if you're good enough to play.

(to be perfectly honest, I've only shot them in .38 revo, but that should be close enough to same for valid opinion on 9mm)

- OS
Old 01-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Grumpy's Avatar
Grumpy Grumpy is offline
Dangerous Old Man
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 995
Thanks: 9
Thanked 1,172 Times in 522 Posts
Default

1 shot deal...feed probs w/plastic bullets, busts the shell.
I've used ratshot in revolvers extensively, tried it in a .44 auto,bad deal.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:42 PM
madcritter's Avatar
madcritter madcritter is offline
Here's my safety Sir
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SE Coastal NC
Posts: 13,520
Thanks: 10,486
Thanked 16,939 Times in 6,274 Posts
Default

Very little range from a short pistol barrel, don't waste your money unless you are using it for snake shot. It's not worth a squat for man or animal.
__________________
Ride hard you can rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
The Following User Says Thank You to madcritter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 PM
murderface8's Avatar
murderface8 murderface8 is offline
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Land of the fooled
Posts: 3,307
Thanks: 5,930
Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,237 Posts
Default

won't function in a auto properly, don't waste your time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to murderface8 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2009, 01:17 AM
whirlibird whirlibird is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SW Wyoming
Posts: 4,410
Thanks: 763
Thanked 4,481 Times in 2,244 Posts
Default

In .45, my Glock 21 and 30, and the Colt Commander all function fine with the CCI load as well as the long unavailable Remington crimped load.

In 9mm, my Glock 19, H&K P-7 and Smith 39 all function fine with the CCI loading.

The polygonal rifling disturbs the pattern less than conventional rifling and shoots a tighter pattern. This is one time I prefer a Glock. I keep a full 10 round mag of the CCI .45 loading in the door of my patrol car, they work fine on snakes but that's about it except maybe rabbits at short range.

Also, the shorter barrels normally work better, they don't seem to impart as much pattern disturbing spin on the shot load.

You will be able to load the round into the chamber generally only once or twice at best from the magazine.

Grouse tend to shrug off most of the small shot found in the pistol shotshells, the exception is the .410 revolvers/derringers out there loaded with #6 shot.

If you want to take a grouse with a handgun, stick with a jacketed flatnose or semi-wadcutter profile bullet. Hollow points do too much damage but the others just punch a pencil sized hole in them.

Al Miller and Mike Venturino have both done excellent articles on handgun shotshells in Handloader and Rifle Magazines. They're worth searching for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Grinnan Barrett's Avatar
Grinnan Barrett Grinnan Barrett is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northeast Texas
Posts: 3,372
Thanks: 492
Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,270 Posts
Default

Not real good for your barrels either. Don't go there.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Woody Creature's Avatar
Woody Creature Woody Creature is offline
I feel good.... . . .
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The greatest country on Earth
Posts: 488
Thanks: 159
Thanked 425 Times in 210 Posts
Default

About the only real use for these are when you are out shooting with your buddies and you want to pull one over on them. Take an asprin out of your pocket and bet them you can shoot it mid air, toss it up and bang...... . . you are the sharpest shooter in the bunch, might even put some money on it to make it really interesting.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woody Creature For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2009, 04:10 PM
hicktown1861 hicktown1861 is offline
Redneck
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: born and raised tennessee hillbilly
Age: 29
Posts: 189
Thanks: 1
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Default

i have killed alot of upland game and small game with them in .22 and .38 revolvers, but when i put it in my kimber .45 it jamms so i wouldnt usr it in an autoloader, just my recremendation
Old 01-13-2012, 02:25 PM
MN_Martian MN_Martian is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 303
Thanks: 159
Thanked 124 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnan Barrett View Post
Not real good for your barrels either. Don't go there.
I got some .22LR shotshell but I just saw it in 9mm.
So, shotshell will ruin your pistol barrel?
Is that with consistant shooting of it or just a few rounds?
I'd hate to mess up my barrel.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:45 PM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 51
Posts: 44,929
Thanks: 76,821
Thanked 83,202 Times in 28,543 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Martian View Post
I got some .22LR shotshell but I just saw it in 9mm.
So, shotshell will ruin your pistol barrel?
Is that with consistant shooting of it or just a few rounds?
I'd hate to mess up my barrel.
It won't damage your barrel. Lead is softer than steel. And the CCI with the plastic capsule certainly isn't going to hurt it any either. They do foul the barrel a little quicker if you shoot a bunch of them. The problem is that they're almost worthless other than as snake rounds at close range.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 03:28 PM
BurntEyes BurntEyes is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,689
Thanks: 593
Thanked 1,194 Times in 713 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
It won't damage your barrel. Lead is softer than steel. And the CCI with the plastic capsule certainly isn't going to hurt it any either. They do foul the barrel a little quicker if you shoot a bunch of them. The problem is that they're almost worthless other than as snake rounds at close range.
I agree with this point. At the cost, and IMO, for the return, it's simply not worth it, and in 9 you very nearly might as well shoot standard bullets.

What is your purpose or intention? Is this sort of for plinking fun or actual Survival?

If the latter, for the cost of stocking up enough of the ammo to have decent amount you could get a new or used single shot in .410 or .12 and ammo that would be perhaps $200 (or even less) that would do 10X the job of these, plus you can use it for a lot of other functions.

If it's all about size, I'm not a fan personally but a hot item now is the Taurus Judge type .410/.45 combo for this type of thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to BurntEyes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 04:05 PM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 51
Posts: 44,929
Thanks: 76,821
Thanked 83,202 Times in 28,543 Posts
Default

Shotshell penetration in the Judge is abysmal and the patterns aren't that great either. Which essentially makes it an overweight, overly large, .45LC. Great range toy, novelty and conversation piece. Box of Truth has some interesting testing of the gun and several loads.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 04:41 PM
BurntEyes BurntEyes is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,689
Thanks: 593
Thanked 1,194 Times in 713 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Shotshell penetration in the Judge is abysmal and the patterns aren't that great either. Which essentially makes it an overweight, overly large, .45LC. Great range toy, novelty and conversation piece. Box of Truth has some interesting testing of the gun and several loads.
Yeah, I've seen reviews, not much of a fan.

Though, if this is for plinking a sorta goofing around, might work for OP. I wouldn't mind dorking around with one, though I wouldn't purchase one.
The Following User Says Thank You to BurntEyes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 04:50 PM
BurntEyes BurntEyes is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,689
Thanks: 593
Thanked 1,194 Times in 713 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlibird View Post
In .45, my Glock 21 and 30, and the Colt Commander all function fine with the CCI load as well as the long unavailable Remington crimped load.

In 9mm, my Glock 19, H&K P-7 and Smith 39 all function fine with the CCI loading.

The polygonal rifling disturbs the pattern less than conventional rifling and shoots a tighter pattern. This is one time I prefer a Glock. I keep a full 10 round mag of the CCI .45 loading in the door of my patrol car, they work fine on snakes but that's about it except maybe rabbits at short range.

Also, the shorter barrels normally work better, they don't seem to impart as much pattern disturbing spin on the shot load.

You will be able to load the round into the chamber generally only once or twice at best from the magazine.

Grouse tend to shrug off most of the small shot found in the pistol shotshells, the exception is the .410 revolvers/derringers out there loaded with #6 shot.

If you want to take a grouse with a handgun, stick with a jacketed flatnose or semi-wadcutter profile bullet. Hollow points do too much damage but the others just punch a pencil sized hole in them.

Al Miller and Mike Venturino have both done excellent articles on handgun shotshells in Handloader and Rifle Magazines. They're worth searching for.
Missed this post, good info, thanks.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:12 PM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 51
Posts: 44,929
Thanks: 76,821
Thanked 83,202 Times in 28,543 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEyes View Post
Yeah, I've seen reviews, not much of a fan.

Though, if this is for plinking a sorta goofing around, might work for OP. I wouldn't mind dorking around with one, though I wouldn't purchase one.
I guess I shouldn't complain. It outperforms my cheapie Cobray .410/.45 derringer somewhat. But I only bought that thing for close range snake use because it fits my pocket.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Meat Guy Meat Guy is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Midwest U.S.A.
Posts: 2,201
Thanks: 3,443
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,141 Posts
Default

The last CCI 9MM shot shells I bought were $1.80 ea. I think the CCI .22 mag work just as well for snakes. Like others have said, I think snakes would be the only feasible use for them.
I really like the .410 RIO for snakes. They will get the job done.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:32 PM
JoeBobRedneck007 JoeBobRedneck007 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 76
Thanks: 76
Thanked 176 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Here is a good review on 9mm shotshells.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JoeBobRedneck007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2013, 07:55 AM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 559
Thanks: 8
Thanked 99 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Seems it would be good for rabbit and squirrel. i dunno. maybe not. would have to be dang close
Old 09-28-2013, 08:11 AM
ManyFeathers's Avatar
ManyFeathers ManyFeathers is offline
Firewater with a Cohiba
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Republic of Texas
Age: 55
Posts: 4,664
Thanks: 5,536
Thanked 10,562 Times in 3,256 Posts
Default

I reload 44 mag brass with #9 shot. I use Styrofoam for the wad and then a little Elmers over the top.

They work well for snake and mice at close ranges. I've used them inside my barn.

The 44 case holds more shot and the gun has a longer barrel than the 9mm

I could see where the 9mm would be "iffy" with these.

I certainly wouldn't pay the prices they have at the stores for these.
The Following User Says Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net


This site is Gunny Approved