Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,682 Posts
Default When SHTF will "Wilderness" area or National parks" be a good place.

Advertise Here

When SHTF would Wilderness or National Parks or Monuments be a good place to go for unspoiled resources and abundant game ie using a motor vehicle to get there, or will you still recognize these places with their current restrictions..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greenhorn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Closed.

Thanked 26,128 Times in 10,995 Posts

Aye just you and roughly 3 million+ sheeple depending on your area, might make a good stopover on the way to somewhere more remote but all the sheeple passing through will surely drive the game deeper into the boonies.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Blackthorn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Keep Your Powder Dry!

Seems like more than half the people are Buging out to the woods. Depending on what has happened alot of them would be better off staying at home. The woods are going to be full of people with the Daniel Boone syndrome and don't know what to do once they are there. Then its going to get ugly!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Recent Blog:
Hiker

i would stay away from the parks and other area's like that if the SHTF.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sayter liften For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 12:43 PM
ruralist

I couldn't stay away from national parks come shtf, as I live in the centre of one, up a mountain range. As for restrictions, I barely recognise them right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arrexian For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,779 Times in 4,218 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
When SHTF would Wilderness or National Parks or Monuments be a good place to go for unspoiled resources and abundant game ie using a motor vehicle to get there, or will you still recognize these places with their current restrictions..
Motor vehicle...gasoline... traffic... roads you can be stopped on and guns taken away?
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 PM
*** Forgives, I don't

Thanked 2,041 Times in 657 Posts

As for most wilderness areas, roads are structured so that you won't be able to get far enough back with a vehicle, you'll be crammed in with alot of sheep that aren't really prepared for a long drawn out period. Thats if you are able to get past the check points.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Hunter

Most of the wilderness areas, parks and monuments are very hostile areas for human survival being either too cold, too hot, too dry, too rocky, etc. and in many places have relatively little wildlife. People have settled just about every spot in the United States that could be settled. The wild areas that remain are typically unsuitable for long term survival by humans.

Most people would die within weeks in such places depending on how much stuff they bring with them and even if you bring enough stuff, the stuff would be subject to being stolen by those other refuge seekers who did not bring enough stuff..

Last edited by hillsidedigger; 01-11-2009 at 01:57 PM..
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to hillsidedigger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 03:41 PM

There are a few National Monuments out there that are truely remote wilderness areas. I used to work for one and I'll exploit it if I have to because I know many people won't want to go there due to the extreme terrain. However other National parks and monuments that are "well Known" won't likely be good places to go becasue they are so well known and the terrain isn't always as challenging as the one I used to work at.
Quote:
If you believe that then you've never been in some of the wilderness areas or national parks and monuments. I spent 5 years fighting fires and 3 years before that working for a couple national parks. In my area both the designated wilderness areas and the national monuments were full of people and habitation and wildlife and food supplies right up until and on through when they became monuments. I sure can live in my local national monument and travel the rocky terrain and find food and shelter. Many of the local people here might also be able to survive and find food in those areas.

Quote:
Most of the wilderness areas, parks and monuments are very hostile areas for human survival being either too cold, too hot, too dry, too rocky, etc. and in many places have relatively little wildlife. People have settled just about every spot in the United States that could be settled. The wild areas that remain are typically unsuitable for long term survival by humans.
The Following User Says Thank You to hobo14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,729 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsidedigger View Post

Most people would die within weeks in such places depending on how much stuff they bring with them and even if you bring enough stuff, the stuff would be subject to being stolen by those other refuge seekers who did not bring enough stuff..
Wrong, wilderness areas are the best place for people, because there is abundant wildlife on federal and state reserves and parks because it is illegal to hunt on them, moreover the UNITED STATES has more unihabited land than it does inhabited land(per capita). The United States is still considered a rural country. Think of places like Idaho,wyoming,montana,nevada,utah,north dakota, south dakota. Humans can plan and adapt, therefore longterm survival is possible, almost every where.(Egypt,Alaska,The amazon basin)Trust me if you went out into the sierra nevada mountain range, there still lies abundant resources. The reason they have parks is to protect resources.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to voyuer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,232 Posts

The wilderness would be a great place *IF* you have the skills. The reason is that only those with real skills could get deep enough in to find the resources.

The sheeple who think they can will head for the wilderness, and begin hunting where the roads end. They will drive all the game deep in, but not be able to live off the land well enough to follow. They may get 20, 30 miles in from the roads before they either strip the land of it's resources and die or kill themselves off trying.

They type that can hike the Appalachian trail end to end would be the one who can get in deep enough in to survive. This is because they would have the endurance, knowledge, and skill to survive where roads fear to tread. Everyone else are just prolonging the inevitable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Remember the ala mode!

Thanked 4,274 Times in 1,683 Posts

Everybody who has no plan but who has transportation and who has ever visted a national park or seen one on TV or who has read a map will decide to go to a national park.

And they'll all be there having only the few pounds of the wrong things that they thought to take with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to bowman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,506 Times in 2,780 Posts

Quote:
you should get the gear and go hunting next year. i go hunting in 2 national forrest 1 north of me 1 south of me. together they make up over 3 million acres of forrest land. and i dont think there is 10 acres that is unspoiled in it .the lumber industry has destroyed our nation forest. they may clear cut 500 acres then that late winter early spring plant new trees and move on to the next 500 acres there are SEVERAL companies doing this. the problem is they dont let the trees get big they let them get to about 8-12 years old they are NOT as big around as you torso. what this does is it makes for ALOT of under growth to develop so it makes the forrest extremely thick some areas so thick you cant see but 25 yards or less and it will be thick like this until the trees get big enough to produce enough shade that the under grow will not grow any more so it dies off and you can see a long ways 100yrs problem is the lumber company comes back before the trees are that big and clear cuts the land again. so an adverage good spot you might have a shot at 50yrds and can see maybe at most 75 yards is about the best you got.and they have roads cut in all over the nation forrest that are not on any map even typo maps will not show them either.

in my area a few friends and i have noticed a decline in the wild live population not just deer but in all aspects birds, rabbit, squirrel not a drastict reduction but it is noticable compared to what it was like as a kid.

in the last great depression wild life got so scarced that it was hard to find a possum. i would think most of the wild life in order for the species to survive will have to move in to deeper forrest areas. most ppl dont go no farther than 100 yrds from their truck when hunting so you may have to go deeper in the woods. but i really dont think if that many ppl are out in the woods there will not be many places for them to hid.

most ppl are creatures of habbit. even if it is dangerous liveing in the city / town they will stay there and learn to survive. most ppl in times of strief will return to what is familar it make them feel safe even if they arnt.it will take a feeling of extreme danger, many would have to be forced out of the cities like a fire or flood or 2 armise battleing in the city might make them leave. most ppl dont like the unknown they will want to go back to what they know they fear the unkown more that what is familar and have gotten use to the danger.

so mostly ppl and their friend/family who have the gear and do go hunting/camping will be the ones that will head for the hills. it will be a bit crowded but i wouldnt expect an extreme amount i dont see hordes of ppl moveing to the forests.i defeantly cant see any gangbangers living in the woods they would be scared there might be a snake out there hiding in the snow

Last edited by Cryptkeeper; 01-11-2009 at 10:02 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 05:29 PM
VIP Member

Today when I went to our little town , I saw 3 moose within a mile and a half from my house. But I can tell you that if times get tough I wouldn't have seen them, maybe a bloody spot on the snow and some drag marks.
We are surrounded by National Forests here with very little access other than by boat or hiking trails or the ocassional horse trail, if your lucky enough to own a horse.
Most of the trails are blocked to where riding a ATV is next to impossible.
I sure the areas with roads into lakes and such would have a small community at the end of the road , with their back packing tents , 3-4 days of food and a hatchet ready to brave the wilds.
Where my son lives up north, there is good hunting and fishing, but getting a couple of hundred more people trying to feed themselfs with a rifle and fishing pole it wouldn't take long to strip the area of all fish and wild life.
Just my thoughts.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alaskan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,729 Posts

All I can absolutley predict is that if shtf, it's going to bring a new meaning to hunter/gatherer.
The Following User Says Thank You to voyuer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Facin' Long,Personal SHTF

Going to the "New Commons" wouldn't be such a wise idea, in my opinion; too many people scuttling about, stripping all the resources etc. Nothing that hasn't already been said here, so I'll bow out.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyuer1 View Post
Wrong, wilderness areas are the best place for people, because there is abundant wildlife on federal and state reserves and parks because it is illegal to hunt on them, moreover the UNITED STATES has more unihabited land than it does inhabited land(per capita). The United States is still considered a rural country. Think of places like Idaho,wyoming,montana,nevada,utah,north dakota, south dakota. Humans can plan and adapt, therefore longterm survival is possible, almost every where.(Egypt,Alaska,The amazon basin)Trust me if you went out into the sierra nevada mountain range, there still lies abundant resources. The reason they have parks is to protect resources.
It seems the Donner Party (cannibalism within 3 months) incident occurred in the Sierra Nevada mountains. True, a few, skilled and equipped people could get by in a lot of places but not hordes of unskilled, unequipped people.

Those states you mention are largely vacant of people and wildlife over large areas for a very good reason (too cold and too dry for too long each year) and there's no getting around the fact that there's over 110 people per square mile in the lower 48 states. You might call that rural, I don't.

Last edited by hillsidedigger; 01-11-2009 at 08:30 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hillsidedigger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Trapper

Any national or State park has staff who upon your attempt to enter will direct you to the tent city they are "developing" and you will be a refugee not a survalist..

You will be stripped of your firearms and told to stay wherever they put you and then you will wait in vain for a supply truck to feed you... if it shows up at all.

Get used to wiping your ass with your hand, they will run of TP fast; last I heard national parks do not store food for visitors so whatever you bring along will become the property of your new neighbors in tent city..

You would do better to hang out in a sports stadium.

Since nobody can predict WHEN the SHTF please consider how the heck you are going to eat and stay warm anywhere in the woods; native americans spent the entire year preparing for winter; you may only have a few hours..

My suggestion is to find a freind who has a good warm BOL & wouldn't mind a few guests for mutual protection/survival and share in the preps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raptor45 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,506 Times in 2,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor45 View Post
Any national or State park has staff who upon your attempt to enter will direct you to the tent city they are "developing" and you will be a refugee not a survalist..

You will be stripped of your firearms and told to stay wherever they put you and then you will wait in vain for a supply truck to feed you... if it shows up at all.

Get used to wiping your ass with your hand, they will run of TP fast; last I heard national parks do not store food for visitors so whatever you bring along will become the property of your new neighbors in tent city..

You would do better to hang out in a sports stadium.

Since nobody can predict WHEN the SHTF please consider how the heck you are going to eat and stay warm anywhere in the woods; native americans spent the entire year preparing for winter; you may only have a few hours..

My suggestion is to find a freind who has a good warm BOL & wouldn't mind a few guests for mutual protection/survival and share in the preps.
yea if you go to a park he is probably right they will go through every1 trying to disarm every1. thats why you DO NOT GO TO A PARK. go to a national forrest where you are free to camp anywhere as long as your not in the way of loggers. forrest rangers may stop by your camp just to see who is there in a normal situation but in a SHTF i doubt they will be out. i would think most forrest rangers and the like will be worried about their own familes and many of them maybe bugging out.i mean if it is bad enough for you to bug out wouldnt be bad enough for them to also.

Last edited by Cryptkeeper; 01-13-2009 at 08:01 PM..
Old 01-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Zombnado3:cats,chickens

Thanked 12,248 Times in 3,286 Posts

Wilderness is for trappers, loggers and those with the skills to handle the day to day needs without outside medical or other help. It is not the place to bug out to, and the folks that have the skills don't want the stink of bodies in their woods.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brew For This Useful Post: