Can we discuss single edge vs. double edge knives? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Edge brand knives TedP Knives, Swords & Axes 6 10-05-2016 08:06 AM
Sharpening Double Edge Safety Razor Blades? HeavyTakeMusic Knives, Swords & Axes 32 01-30-2014 09:59 AM
Stocking razors and double edge blades. BuellerBueller Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 01-23-2014 08:32 PM
Edge Company Knives Pen/knife okcmco Knives, Swords & Axes 0 01-02-2014 09:02 PM
Double edge axe vs. single edge? Burnzy Knives, Swords & Axes 7 08-08-2013 11:21 AM
Ordering from Cutting Edge knives Jaqhama Australia and New Zealand 20 08-08-2013 08:03 AM
Keen Edge Knives ActionJackson Knives, Swords & Axes 2 08-21-2011 10:14 PM
Dagger compared to Single Edge forrestdweller Knives, Swords & Axes 4 05-28-2010 03:13 AM
double edge razor army6972 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 09-08-2009 02:34 PM
single or double edge survivalistjc Knives, Swords & Axes 4 10-03-2008 12:04 AM

Old 04-13-2015, 04:19 PM

Default Can we discuss single edge vs. double edge knives?

Advertise Here

Just wondering what your thoughts are concerning general utility and self-defense without starting any brand wars, or which model is best. Please keep it general.

I have a Gerber Mark I and Mark II, both from the late 70's. I took the Mark II on a 5 week camping trip through Colorado and Utah as my general utility knife and it performed great. It did everything I asked it to. I never wished for a single edged knife to do any of the chores.

As far as self-defense, I have used the Mark I once. A drunk thought he was going to "cut me up" with his 2" pocket knife over some perceived slight on my part. When the Mark I came out of my boot and I said "Let's see what you got", he decided there was no problem to start with and went his merry way.

Since then, I have bought a couple K-Bars and have been equally impressed with them as utility knives, although (thankfully) have not needed them in a self-defense situation.

I can see advantages to both styles, and just wondered what other folks thought.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 28,866 Times in 9,565 Posts

double edge for saturday nite, ( Gerber MK series, EK, FS, among some ) single edge or partial doubles for workin all week. ( Busse, Esee, Buck Thug , among some) and for sunday go to meetin, the Greco or Buck Kalinga and dont forget the folders, emerson CQB and RAO from ER.... water work, stainless, (spyderco, collins) got a new one comin in, from Primal Gear, a HABss, se how it works out....
Old 04-13-2015, 04:47 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 19,474 Times in 6,416 Posts

Single edged knives are legal to carry, double edged knives aren't. Honestly, if you plan on doing some serious knife fighting (which I highly recommend to avoid), a single edge knife is the way to go because of the way you hold the knife. Even an amateur wielding a knife properly will have better control with a single edge knife.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,118 Times in 4,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Single edged knives USUALLY are legal to carry, double edged knives MAY NOT be.
Corrected it for you.

Check your local knife laws before carrying, especially concealed.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2015, 06:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,994 Posts

I am not a big fan of double edged knives. Not even false edged..
I have taken them in the woods with me, just to see how they operate(for me) as a Bush Knife.
I had a Benchmade Fecas Offsider, with about half the spine false edged ......you should have saw my baton sticks! And in the woods I want something Robust, for chopping, so no hatchet.
But Bro, if that's all I had, I would make it. And if they Work good for you, " Keep on Keeping On!"
Old 04-14-2015, 12:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,118 Times in 4,020 Posts

I use a caper that has a sharpened swadge--great for working around the nostrils and ears...That, other then for a pure fighting knife/dirk, is the only use for a sharpened spine.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:47 AM
Hiker

I use a tactical folder for my edc. Does everything I need a knife to do.If i was worried about self defense (with a blade); I'd be inclined to use a specially modded screwdriver.
The Following User Says Thank You to Longranger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2015, 12:23 AM
Target Shooter

Straighter edges cut better near the point when there is no belly near the point, all else being equal: Daggers usually have not only straight bellyless edges, but sharp points.

Granted, a straight single edge is just as good or better, for point slicing at full extension, however...:

Another advantage of daggers is that, being double ground, they are less heavy than any other type of knife for a similar blade length and thickness: That is why heavy handles are a huge waste on a dagger...: My Junglee Waterloo is a full 3/16" thick, and a largeish 6.9" in blade length, with no fragility in the blade's tip strength: Weight in ounces is actually lower than the blade length in inches: 6.8 ounces...: I think for lightness/size it almost can't be beat, and with shoulder, leg or boot carry that is priceless...

Gaston
Old 04-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,472 Times in 672 Posts

It's pretty much personal preference vs what your task is. I guess you could have a double edge defensive knife and a pocket knife for carving/whittling. I personally own a few double edged and they are not my cup of tea, the tip can break much more easily and they are hard to keep even over the years of sharpening, especially if you get a chip on one side, then you get into the legality, which I've actually only lived in states where they are legal so that's not an issue. I don't think of a knife as a weapon so much as a tool and a double edged I would put as a weapon and not much of a tool. That and if I were to know for a fact I would be knife fighting the way I've been taught I would end up with one edge against my skin and I'm not comfortable like that, that said I never want to be in a real knife fight.

Like I began with it's all about personal preference.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,564 Times in 5,424 Posts

I love the scene where Dundee pulls out the Bowie against the kids switch blade ,and says "That's a knife"
The opposition only needs the incentive NOT to fight, with out actually having to use it.
If you whip out a bowie,
and I whip out a katina,
your going to think twice about starting an argument.
"Usually", some one that carries something more formidable ,get's the respect.
Though one may not need a dagger , having one and knowing how to use it, can appear more formidable, than some one attempting to threaten with something less professional.
As for the legalities, that is a personal decision .
Because of my size and looks , no one much bothers me, so the knife I cary in the city, is a pouch held folder.
Other segments of the pouch, hold my cell phone, and flash light.
It is for utilitarian purposes. A tool .
Old 04-20-2016, 02:27 PM

Single edge for day to day.
Daggers when fighting wizards, dragons or trolls.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pastor Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,994 Times in 5,197 Posts

I've got two Western double edged boot knives in two sizes, they don't get much use, but they are very functional knives, also have a double edged gerber that has a retention sheath that is from the 80's. Also have an Old Hickory double edged knife that I use out in the yard often for various tasks.

This is the gerber
https://www.google.com/search?q=gerb...WuPKGbGyRLM%3A
Old 04-20-2016, 05:45 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,954 Times in 596 Posts

I live in Israel where single edged knives are just as illegal as double edged knives - but I'm going to go on a long hike (7 days, ALONE) and due to the security situation in Israel I decided to take a fixed blade knife with me (which I usually do not).

Since that knife will be for "oh crap, I'm about to be lynched" situation only - I don't really care about its' utility or camp chores - for that I have my SAK. That double edged knife (Cold Steel OSS since we're sharing) has great penetration, cuts deep and allows great handle control due to the sub hilt feature. It is also light and allows for quick motion, so I couldn't be happier with it.

All in all - when it's about self defence - I prefer the double edges. When it's for camping - I prefer the single edges.

Obviously to each his own though...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BadExample For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2016, 11:58 PM
swamp rat

Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,245 Posts

The only double edged blade I own is a push dagger and it only up has one use. I also have an original RTAK That has a false edge about 4 " on the back from the tip. But I don't think I understand why it was designed that way. Looks pretty cool tho.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:20 AM
Front Towards Enemy

Thanked 1,286 Times in 343 Posts

I only own one good quality double-edged knife, and it stays on my bug out gear unless I'm practicing with it (about once a week). They have their niche, and it's not bushcraft or utility work. Nor is it to fight orcs in Middle Earth.

Dagger-type knives like the Fairbairn-Sykes are made for quickly and quietly taking out opponents with lethal stabs to certain areas of the human anatomy. That's exactly why they're illegal in many jurisdictions. They're a proven combat and assassination tool. If you're not dropping sentries in enemy territory, you probably don't need one. If part of your SHTF plan involves the need to do so, get a good one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lt. Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 05:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,472 Times in 672 Posts

The ones I have are boot daggers, which I've had one since I was 12 because I thought it was cool, another one I got at a flea market for $1 and wanted to use it as a thrower and my Infidel which is probably one of my few safe queen knives, it is awesome but it serves no real purpose except to look cool. FYI a good sharpened double edge does not make a good thrower the point is to thin and sharp and will bend/break off real easy. I've got some shovel head throwers that are considered double edged but they aren't sharpened to as fine a point and they do well.

As stated above, they serve a specific purpose and in most peoples preps it is definitely not needed. And as always personal preference, don't let someone tell you what you can and can't have or do, but listen to advice and take it for what it's worth, another persons opinion or experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolfSpring For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 08:42 AM
Immer Im Einsatz

Thanked 2,534 Times in 1,154 Posts

I carry both types daily. The double edge, and one single edge knife are weapons, the others are utility/daily use type knives.

Ive never understood how you could just carry one knife for all uses. At least I never have.

I have Gerber MK I's and II's, and used to carry one of the II's daily, but due to their on going, upward collector status (that, and the fact the new ones are nothing like the older, non serated "wasp waisted" models), Ive pretty much retired them. These days, a British issue F&S has taken their place.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadExample View Post
I live in Israel where single edged knives are just as illegal as double edged knives - but I'm going to go on a long hike (7 days, ALONE) and due to the security situation in Israel I decided to take a fixed blade knife with me (which I usually do not).

Since that knife will be for "oh crap, I'm about to be lynched" situation only - I don't really care about its' utility or camp chores - for that I have my SAK. That double edged knife (Cold Steel OSS since we're sharing) has great penetration, cuts deep and allows great handle control due to the sub hilt feature. It is also light and allows for quick motion, so I couldn't be happier with it.

All in all - when it's about self defence - I prefer the double edges. When it's for camping - I prefer the single edges.

Obviously to each his own though...
Hey Brother, that's just unreal that knives are illegal in Israel. And if I was with you, I'd grab whatever I could, right along beside you, on Carrying anyway. In the end, protecting love ones, and self override everything else. I always wanted an "OSS", or the " Big Bear" ( price was a little much, for appearance, when the OSS, can do the same thing, for less money). You have a good one Bro, I enjoyed our talks on defense knives. Stay safe Bro

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2016, 10:22 PM
Target Shooter

NO! with every thing that will happen and every thing that could happen in this world
the edges on your knife is unimportant.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,858 Times in 1,317 Posts

The whole concept of knife fighting is a totally frightening and gruesome and something no sane individual would ever wish to engage in, but that being said I believe nothing is more effective in a close in grappleing type of fighting for your life than a knife, especially a double edged knife. I look at it this way, I believe a double edged knife would be about the hardest weapon, in even a novices hand to fight against, cutting in both directions with a really sharp point.

But at the end of the day double edged knives are not the best choice for just about any other task you might use a knife for except as a weapon. A double edged knife is probably about the most politically incorrect weapon you could carry as virtually every body identifies it as a weapon and nothing else. My circumstances dictate that I would never even consider carrying a double edged knife unless there is absolutely no rule of law and the world has become a very violent place, then (and only then) I would be carrying a FS dagger, pistol and rifle or shotgun.

As an aside the only legitimate reasons for a double bladed knife I can think of off hand besides actual combat is as a sticking knife, many hunters who hunt pigs with dogs use a large double sided knife for pig sticking but I'm not really sure how big of an advantage 2 cutting edges would be over a regular single bladed knife. I have also heard that some sky divers carry a double bladed knife as they believe they are quicker to cut away a tangled shoot if the need arises as you can hack away in both directions and there is no risk of holding the knife the wrong way round when seconds count. Some diveing knives are double edged for the same reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to dillin For This Useful Post: