Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Ladies Section
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 01-10-2009, 04:48 PM

Default Best All Around Survival Weapon

Advertise Here

This has been discussed numerous times on this board and others. But for an average woman, what would you suggest as the best all around survival firearm?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK8139 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Young Blood

Thanked 1,606 Times in 731 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

a 20 gauge shotgun ( semi or pump)
or a 10/22 or a hand gun TOO MANY OPTIONS!!!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 05:07 PM

Smile

Thanks for your reply. I have been considering a 20 gauge. My only concern is in regards to ammunition. Do you think 20 gauge shells will be readily available for the next 5-10 years? In other words, do you think the popularity of the 12 gauge will render the 20 obsolete in the foreseeable future?

Also, What do you think about the Remington 870 Wingmaster in 20?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK8139 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2009, 05:08 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,552 Posts

If you're talking about a survival weapon, I would say a .22 carbine, bolt action or semi if you prefer (I'd go for bolt).
Old 01-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Young Blood

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

naw the 20 is second most popular less selection than the 12 yes but dissapearing no,
i would recomend the browning gold, the remington870
and the browning auto 5
The Following User Says Thank You to Brother Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2009, 05:34 PM
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!

Thanked 1,332 Times in 703 Posts

What purposes does a gun serve if the SHTF?:

1. hunting
2. dispatching vermin
3. self-defense (really an extension of #2 )

I definitely don't think that 20 gauge is rare enough to be nonexistant. Now, a 16-gauge on the other hand...

As Wolfe said, a .22 bolt action is pretty darn simple and effective for small game- and it's the cheapest and most plentiful ammo around. While I wouldn't want to use one for defense, most criminals will turn tail and run if they see ANY gun pointed their way.

I don't own one, but I always hear good things about the Remington 870- its known as a quintessential shotgun, along with the Mossberg 500.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d3athp3nguin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Young Blood

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

yes 16 is pretty rare we have one lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brother Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,204 Posts

As popular as the 20 gauge is ammo will be available almost as readily as the 12 guage. It might not be quiet as plentiful or there be quiet the variety of loads available but 20 gauge is not going into obscurity any time soon.

That being said...

I too think the 22 would be the optimal general purpose weapon at the moment. They are reasonably priced still even in the current market rush for guns. The ammo is still pretty cheap and you can buy a gang of it for minimal out lay of fun dollars.

A better option that may give you a lot of bang for the buck if you have no guns at all might be a pistol capable of using a conversion kit for 22 rim fire ammo. These are available for the Glock, Beretta 92 and 1911 style pistols and run about 200 bucks. This would give you the flexibility of having a defensive side arm to protect yourself with on a daily basis and the ability to convert over to 22 rim fire and take small game and practice on the cheap too! If I was starting with nothing gun wise this is the route I would go for economy and covering some of the basis quick!
The Following User Says Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2009, 05:54 PM
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!

Thanked 1,332 Times in 703 Posts

Oh oh almost forgot, since you said survival weapon and not survival gun:

A hatchet and/or machete isn't a bad idea. I would not want to use one for self-defense, but many natural disasters involve fallen trees and limbs. If part of your house gets caved in, you would want to be able to hack those suckers up. Also useful for gathering firewood.

Another alternative is a nice beefy ka-bar. I'm not a knife aficionado, but I'm sure others here could recommend one.
The Following User Says Thank You to d3athp3nguin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsrok View Post
a 20 gauge shotgun ( semi or pump)
or a 10/22 or a hand gun TOO MANY OPTIONS!!!!!
even though 12 gauge is more bulky its much better in terms of shotguns. more badguys are gonna use 12 gauge and more ammo is avaiilable plus more power

get a buttpad for a 12 gauge iif recoil is what makes you worry.also there are some speacial stocks that rid you of most recoil
The Following User Says Thank You to X9ballX For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2009, 06:17 PM

The best survival weapon is your head. Next, a really good knife. As for firearms, there are so many varialbles to pick the perfect one for everyone, everywhere. A combo rifle in .410/.22lr is one of the most handy tools out there. One person could carry 1000+ rounds of 22lr and 100+ rounds of .410. You could hunt fur and feather, and keep someone at bay if needed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colorado For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,685 Times in 2,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK8139 View Post
This has been discussed numerous times on this board and others. But for an average woman, what would you suggest as the best all around survival firearm?
there really is no 1 weapon will do it all survival, each has its plus and negative. that why your getting mixed answers
to answer your question several things must be considered. first,how much do you want/can to spend? do you plan on staying in your home or are you doing backpack survival? what terrain do you live in plains ,dessert,forrest? have you fired a weapon before? what type of disaster do you think is most likly to happen to you economic, natural disaster (local/earth changeing), goblin attack (war invasion)?

let see if i can give you the postive and negetive thing about each

#1 a shotgun: very good home def. good all around hunting with the right ammo. bad thing is you must have a large assortment of ammo to cover everything. there is certain ammo for hunting deer-man, another type for birds, another type for bear,another type for rabbit & squirrel. so you see to stock up on all the ammo to cover it all you will need a large storage closet. which makes it not the weapon of choice for backpack survival.must be kept at home or out in the woods hunting, cannot keep with you at all times.ammo can be a bit pricey

#2 .22 rifle: poor home def., but could scare ppl off just small chance on killing any1. its VERY light recoil makes it easy to shoot. great beginning weapon. ammo is very cheap,small and light so in a backpack survival you can carry ALOT of ammo to survive on and not take up alot of room or break your back from the weight. most common to hunt with for rabbit and squirrel but with shot placement you can kill a deer or a small boar.but if your doing a backpack survival it would be a good idea to have a large caliber pistol to take down large animals that may attack (bear,mountain lion). must be kept at home or out in the woods hunting.

#3 pistol: pending on caliber good home def. if your planning for an economic collapse as the most probable and you are liveing in the city it a good weapon to have because you can keep it consealed as you travel to the store and such. it is a personnel carry weapon and is with you at all times(i personnely think its the 1st weapon everyone should get). some ppl do hunt with pistols but its not common and not easy to do. good for a 2nd weapon in a backpack survival. ammo is smaller and lighter than rifle/shotgun ammo,but heavier than .22 ammo

#2 rifle large caliber: good home def, pending on caliber will kill anything in the woods or in the city. good hunting weapon or killing goblins. must keep at home or in the woods while hunting. some weapons are a bit on the heavy side as well as the ammo so it can be a bit of a burdun to carry ALOT of ammo and the weapon in backpack survival. good weapon to have if your preparing for a madmax/war.pending on caliber and weapon can have a heavey recoil or it can have a light recoil.ammo is expensive

i perfered if economic collapse 9mm, if backpack survival a combo .22 (ruger 10/22) and a 1911 .45 pistol , home def 12ga pump

just some of the plus and minus of the weapons that i could thing of. im sure others can come up with more.

hope this helps

Last edited by Cryptkeeper; 01-11-2009 at 03:10 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2009, 10:06 PM

Awesome! Thanks for everyone's help. If only money wasn't an object I would be convinced to buy one of everything suggested!
The Following User Says Thank You to AK8139 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Liberty or Death

Where will you be surviving? Forrest, swap, desert, urban?
The Following User Says Thank You to wengo1776 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 PM

Smile

Urban at first. Then probably backpacking mountain/forest.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK8139 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2009, 10:54 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,415 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK8139 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I have been considering a 20 gauge. My only concern is in regards to ammunition. Do you think 20 gauge shells will be readily available for the next 5-10 years? In other words, do you think the popularity of the 12 gauge will render the 20 obsolete in the foreseeable future?

Also, What do you think about the Remington 870 Wingmaster in 20?
Ammunition for a 20-gauge should not be a problem--one of the 2 20-gauge shotties that I have was my Dad's--made in 1926. My other is a Winchester 1300. I think ithat 20-gauge shells are going to be around for quite a while, still.

The Remington should be fine. Nice thing about shotties--the range of loads for the shells should cover any type of shooting--rifled slugs (for REALLY big critters), 000 buck, smaller shot for turkey, pheasant, waterfowl, various other edible birds, rabbits, squirrels, varmints...the possibilities are almost endless.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2009, 11:05 PM

Wilderness survival and self defense are extremely different. Buying one gun to do both would significantly compromise efficiency on both fronts. If your in the wilderness, a bolt action .22lr would probably be best. Itll last FOREVER, and ammo is cheap. Plus you can store thousands of rounds(and 1 round can = a meal) in a simply coffee tin. For all around self-defense, id go with a small-med sized pistol. If the economy were to collapse you could bring it with you wherever you go for security. Obviously a carbine or shotgun would be better in many situations, but it will be a LONG time after the entire country collapses before its acceptable for people to walk around in public with long guns. My picks:

Wilderness - .22 bolt action
Urban - compact glock .380 through .45
The Following User Says Thank You to Bennayboi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Liberty or Death

What type of build are you because you might be able to handle more than a 20 gauge.
The Following User Says Thank You to wengo1776 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 01:22 AM
FIRE!

rem 1100 12ga. w/ choate extd tube

http://www.survivalistboards.com/arm...t&uniqueid=464
The Following User Says Thank You to ohms For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,638 Times in 1,453 Posts

i say for personal defense a small mid wieght handgun like a sw revolver 38.cal loaded with hollowpoints for self defense with speed loaders for use as a basic weapon ..
for the person that is not weapon savy..

get you a set of dummy rounds with a couple of speed loaders to pratice speed reloading of the revolver as need with a good belt holster along with a couple speed loader ammo belt pouchs with a long with a good belt knife and a set of skinning knifes to dress out game as need ..

the girls in my group seam to like cross draws belt holster with thumbsnap for basic holster ..it seams to fit there bodys better than a strong side hip holster

hunting i would go with a small 22.lr bolt action rifle with scope for small game hunting
with a 20.ga shotgun for all around hunting with diff barrels for diff game as need
The Following User Says Thank You to hank2222 For This Useful Post: