Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 01-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Plinker

Default Vacuum sealing ammo

Advertise Here

I've been testing vacuum sealing my ammo at home. I think it's a great way to store, protect, and even waterproof your ammunition. I'm considering adding a dissecant gel cap to the package next time, although I not sure if it will cause any kind of problem such as corrosion to the ammo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sam43 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2009, 08:12 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,410 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Funny you should bring that up...I've been thinking of vacuum sealing ammunition and some loaded magazines, as well, to help keep them dry in my "squirrel away" spot.
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Good Bye

Thanked 1,374 Times in 662 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

you will get some air through the plastic, but hey, if you've got the spare vaccume bag material, good deal. I keep mine in ammo cans with dessicant in it, and it works quite well.

good Idea though, and I bet it would make it easier to pack into ammo cans. you could bag it in 100 round packs or whatever.

nice work. good test.
Good Bye

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

you will get some air through the plastic, but hey, if you've got the spare vaccume bag material, good deal. I keep mine in ammo cans with dessicant in it, and it works quite well.

good Idea though, and I bet it would make it easier to pack into ammo cans. you could bag it in 100 round packs or whatever.

nice work. good test.
Good Bye

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

nice work. good test.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Good Bye

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

also understand that what I meant about air through the plastic is only for looooong term storage, and it's very very little. when sealing meats and other spoilable type things, that tiny bit of air in may affect food, but with ammo, I bet that packaging it like you did would be one hell of a corrosion inhibitor as long as the brass was clean.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Plinker

I vacuumed sealed my 357mag also for the helluvit, it worked great, except it would help to cover the sharp edges, like the hammer spur.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,705 Posts

i dont understand why you would want to vaccum pack ammo? why not just buy some ammo cans its alot cheaper, is a proven method of storage, and its alot easier to stack?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Plinker

Simple...The vacuum sealer was already here, the only ammo can I have is an old 50cal one, I suspect all the ammo for all my weapons will fit in that one can. I don't have a military type rifle that will require several thousand rds of ammo.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:53 PM

Default Vaccum Packed Ammo

I was wondering what the effect would be on the ammo, would it pull the bullet etc.

So I sealed a new pack of .22LR ammo, I plan on burying this at the BOL early this year and will dig it up again in about 6 months. That should get it through the winter and also the summer heat and the monsoon season here in AZ.

I am glad I am not the only one that likes to experiment. I am thinking of sealing a .22 Rifle that I just got for SHTF and try that as well.

Martin
Old 01-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Plinker

It will be pricey proposition, since it will require a long piece of material, pad sharp edges. You could also vacuum pack a 50 rd box of 22 and submerge it in a bucket of water for several months for a test.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:13 PM
357 Mag, sex for the hand

Its a clever idea, but could you get to it fast enough in a pinch assuming you had no knife?

I have 2 .50-cal ammo cans, I bought the bulk moisture absorbing pellets, the kind you would use in your travel trailer. Works great, none of my ammo has signs of rust or corrosion.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Leave Me Alone

Folks! Any quality ammo will store for YEARS if you put it in a cool dry place. The small amount of moisture that might be in a sealed vaccum type bag would be so minimal that it wouldn't even be an issue. I have some WWII 45 ACP ammo stamped 1943 that has been stored in cardboard boxes in wooden crates in some warehouse since the war, then sent to me in the
1980's. I kept it in my closet in my storage room since then. I shoot some of it every now and then.
Last year, I found some handloaded ammo my Dad and I had loaded in 1985 and put in zip-lock sandwich bags and were in a butt pack survival kit he always carried while hunting. I shot every bit of it. It had been stored in my attic in the cold, heat, moisture, etc.
Ammo will outlast YOU, if you store it in a cool dry place. Longterm storage ammo, goes in sealed plastic bags or stays in the factory box and goes into an ammo can. I shot some old Hydra-shok 45 today that was at least 10 years old and had been in an ammo can in a closet. If you want to get down and dirty and squirrel hole it away, put it in vaccum sealed bags then in ammo cans. I have a few loaded mags in secret places outside, that are in vaccum bags and glass jars, incase I need to reload somewhere after getting out of the house. I have put loaded handguns in various places outdoors with nothing more than a good wipedown with Break-Free and placed in an ammo can. Stayed there for several years. I don't want to discourage anyone, but sometimes we go overboard with prepping and spend more than we need on these small things.
I read an article about 2 years ago, where some builders were clearing out some old houses in Normandy France. They found an old house that had an old German Schmeisser Sub Machine Gun, an old GI 45 Auto, and some cash stashed in the wall behind some paneling. It was said that some residents did this at times in anticipation of the Americans invading and they would help with the resistance against the Germans. They took both of these guns, that still had loaded mags and fired them both as they were. They functioned flawlessly as they emptied the mags at a target. Nuff said!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 1911HeadBanger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Plinker

A note about military ammo. I believe mil. ammo is also waterproofed, there is a way to do it for commercial ammo, using fingernail polish and painting around the primer an neck, although it also increases pressure in the chamber. I would do more reading on it before I tried it.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:45 PM

Ive recently sealed a bunch of loose rnds in storage bags. Oriented them very neatly and sealed them up. I was thinking it would be easier to pack in my BOB as they are all in single layers and dont take up much space. This is kind of an experiment although I really dont anticipate any problems. As for a vacuum unseating primers or bullets I just dont think it would be possible to do so with the pressures generated by a consumer grade food sealer.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84tecate View Post
Its a clever idea, but could you get to it fast enough in a pinch assuming you had no knife?
I am never without a knife. I keep knives in range bags, gun cases, ammo boxes...pretty much everywhere. If I don't have at least one on my person, there is one within reach. In my cars, on my bike, in the tent...I feel like I'm telling a Dr. Seuss story now.

Plus, the foodsaver bags I have tear pretty easily, especially with longer/sharper ammo in them, like .223. I sealed some just for kicks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Southern Man

Ammo will last over 50 years without a problem if you just keep it in a relatively cool, dry spot. If you're doing this just for fun, that's cool.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,116 Times in 499 Posts

don't vacuum seal 22's,it wil suck the bullet out of the shell.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrandall View Post
don't vacuum seal 22's,it wil suck the bullet out of the shell.
You're kidding, right? I have never had any problem vacuum sealing any kind of ammo.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Fishing on a river

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,440 Posts

I've been keeping amoo in freezer zip locks for year with never a problem. I find that I can get about 1/3 more into an ammo can than if I left them in the box.

Last winter I vac packed a box of 40's to try it out and it seemed to work ok. Never got back to it.