Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-31-2008, 04:22 PM

Default home defense ideas

Advertise Here

i'm trying to think of some ideas that would provide my home with defense against intruders. i don't really want to use anything electrical in case of power outtages. though using cctv will be something i do anyways.

i have already researched some thorny plants to grow underneath windows. i'm currently trying to find some type of perimeter fencing as well. i would love to have some type of metal fencing surrounding my home. but intruders can get past razor wire and underneath pretty much any type of fencing in a matter of hours. and a car can drive through any gated entrance.

even if i have perimeter fencing, 4 well trained dogs, plant barriers, several guns and ammo what more can i do to protect my home from a group of very determined intruders?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Hitch Hiking Guide

I'd say you are on the right track and have mentioned all of the basics, however, if someone wants in your home bad enough, they will get in your home... you just have to make sure they know that it will not be worth it, which I think you are doing rather well, I wouldn't mess with ya lol
Old 12-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,585 Posts

Signs that say "Brink's home security" or "___-Security" strategically placed in locations on yer property and visibly planted on yer lawn

They also make fake cctv cameras that are battery-operated and have a blinking red light. Those are usually placed somewhere easily seen by would-be intruders.

Other signs of interest:

"Beware of Dog"
"Beware of Owner"
"NO TRESPASSING"
"armed homeowner"

Get a shotgun - for real...
Old 12-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Last of the First Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by badasscass View Post
even if i have perimeter fencing, 4 well trained dogs, plant barriers, several guns and ammo what more can i do to protect my home from a group of very determined intruders?
Nothing.

But it's been said about a million times before, and will be said a million times again (and not just on this forum)... and I know I'm stealing this from Tom Clancy, but... Who is a bad guy more likely to mug - a little old lady that just cashed her social security cheque, or a cop who just cashed his paycheque?

If your home looks (and is) well defended, a group of marauders (I love that word!) is likely to move on to something easier. They want to live just as much as you do.
The Following User Says Thank You to HammerHand For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Last of the First Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy_McNasty View Post
Signs that say "Brink's home security" or "___-Security" strategically placed in locations on yer property and visibly planted on yer lawn

They also make fake cctv cameras that are battery-operated and have a blinking red light. Those are usually placed somewhere easily seen by would-be intruders.
If you actually have Brinks or whatever home security or nothing at all - DO NOT use signs that say "Brinks" or whatever company. Use generic signs - that way you don't tip off the "bad guys" as to which type of alarm system you're using (or pretending to use).

And fake CCTV cameras are about as good as rubber guns... They're no good.
The Following User Says Thank You to HammerHand For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2008, 04:56 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 42,535 Times in 5,841 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

A safe room, preferably with an escape tunnel, as a last ditch getaway if the intruders get past the primary defenses.

Anything that slows the intruders down increases their risk, and most know that. The fences and other barriers are worth it to buy time for an official response, or MAG response if you are in one, and time to get family to the safe room.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:59 PM
Grouchy Infidel

Thanked 3,175 Times in 888 Posts

If you have not reviewed this you should.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/dow...do=file&id=311
Old 12-31-2008, 06:10 PM
To secure peace is to...

Thanked 6,486 Times in 2,154 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

I think everyone has pretty much hit every major thing you can do. At the end of the day, if some hopped-up-crack-head wants in your house, they are coming in. The won't stop and read "Brinks" signs, they'll fight through thorny bushes, it doesn't matter.

To protect your home, you can't beat dogs and guns, PERIOD.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:11 PM
To secure peace is to...

Thanked 6,486 Times in 2,154 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
A safe room, preferably with an escape tunnel, as a last ditch getaway if the intruders get past the primary defenses.

Anything that slows the intruders down increases their risk, and most know that. The fences and other barriers are worth it to buy time for an official response, or MAG response if you are in one, and time to get family to the safe room.
Forget a $20,000 escape tunnel. My 12 gauge will screaming if my door becomes unhinged...
The Following User Says Thank You to TacomaJPP For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJPP View Post
Forget a $20,000 escape tunnel. My 12 gauge will screaming if my door becomes unhinged...
I agree with you about the 12 ga. but I'm not always home and my family is. My wife can shoot but I know that she and the kids may need a fall back option. If it was just me I would say grab the 12 ga. and come what may but I have to plan for them not just me. Safe rooms are not cheap but if you have the money and space it is a reasonable consideration.
The Following User Says Thank You to pftw-pftb For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Keep Your Powder Dry!

For your perimeter fence plant Running Roses and let it grow. They may get through Razor wire. They want with Running Roses if they do make it through them they will be so week from blood loss they want be able to do anything.
If you have ever got hung up in them you will understand. Plus they are pretty too.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:37 PM

those ideas are all good and i've thought of them too. i would love to have an escape tunnel/safe room but the cost isn't in the cards. i agree tho, that if a thief wants in they'll find a way. i was thinking of protection from gang/zombie attacks in a shtf scenario; where they would do anything they can to get what you have. i guess even if you have your bases covered your ass can still be on the line. keep the ideas coming tho!
Old 12-31-2008, 06:59 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,922 Times in 10,488 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

heres an idea. load it with LTL pepperballs and youre good to go

Old 12-31-2008, 07:03 PM

Water.

Anyone with a quart of kerosene and a match can play hell on the average homeowner who is trying to hunker down.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:51 PM

Find out if you have or don't have the castle law in your town if so have planty of ammo but make sure you don't shoot through the house next door and remember if you shoot at someone who's brakeing in you HOME shoot to kill or you may be the one being KILLED and your FAMILY or RAPE'D.
"ask no questions take no prisoner and shoot to kill or be killed"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to czbohunk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2008, 09:30 PM

however you go about making a clear visual confirmation that attack or interaction will be violent and dangerous to their health. block driveway with cars/spikestrip, razor wire, zone alarms, cctv, warning signs etc whatever you need
Old 12-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Plinker

It depends on a number of things. Is you home in a housing tract with wall to wall neighbors, or are you sitting on some acreage with some distance from your neighbor? If in a tract home I would be having a little meeting, maybe over snacks, with all my immediate neighbors (front, back,sides) to discuss a mutual home defense pact (Strength in Numbers). If on acreage......"Fortify" your home and still make a pact with any nearby neighbors. Unfortunately not enough time to elaborate plans.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:49 AM
Suspect Everyone

I don't know how pleasing to the eye you want it, but I have seen and interesting style in Mexico, Russia, and New Orleans, La. The homeowners typically have tall walls around their property, but you wouldn't have to. They spread a good 2-3 inch layer of cement on top of the wall, wait for it to tack up, and then stick broken glass bottles in it. When it dries, nobody wants to jump up and grab it. Could be modified in many ways.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustNoOne View Post
I don't know how pleasing to the eye you want it, but I have seen and interesting style in Mexico, Russia, and New Orleans, La. The homeowners typically have tall walls around their property, but you wouldn't have to. They spread a good 2-3 inch layer of cement on top of the wall, wait for it to tack up, and then stick broken glass bottles in it. When it dries, nobody wants to jump up and grab it. Could be modified in many ways.
yet another thing against the law in the UK
Old 01-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,216 Times in 2,979 Posts

Why not real Brinks or CCTV? What's the assumpption, to expensive? It's not. I put in my alarm system the first week we bought our house, before I changed the doormat.