Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Recent Blog: Starting a new career
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,949 Times in 6,851 Posts
Default savage model 11 field report

Advertise Here

Does anyone here own a savage model 11? If so, how about a short review or field report?

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,753 Posts

I had a savage 110 in 30-06 for several years. I never had any problems with it. Fairly accurate. While sitting on a bench, it made a widen hole or close to it at 100 yards with basic factory ammo. Kicked a bit too much for my liking. The bolt action wasn't the smoothest as well as the trigger, but it did the job fine. The bolt being a bit sticky might been because of lack of freqeunt cleaning.

I didn't take the best of care with the barrel and remained to shoot ok. Was my farm rifle. I got rid of it because I am left handed and the rifle was right handed. Was too much gun for what I needed anyways. Replaced it with a marlin 336. I would reccomend it. Would also consider purchasing a .243 or 22-250 model. Not sure of the new ones, this one was made in New haven, CT before it closed.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,325 Times in 2,508 Posts

Haven't had a 11 but did have a 10 FP (police) model that would consistently out-shoot the competition's tricked out Remington 700's.
Dollar for dollar you'll have to search long and hard to find a more accurate weapon for the dollar.
Still not a fan of the accu-trigger's but they do give a decent trigger from the factory without spending any additional money and they're safe.
They're not "pretty" but they are functional and that's what counts.

Buy the Savage and spend any extra money on ammunition for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Recent Blog:

kev,
The only Savage & Stevens centerfires I own are Savage 99 in .300 Savage and then a Stevens 200 in .270Win.,the 200 is basically a model 110 in the economical line and for $289 new in Dec. 06,it has been a great little rifle,the pillar bedding and freefloated barrel makes a great difference,topped of with a set of Leupold dual dovetail bases and lowmount rings and 2-7x33 Vari-XII it's a real shooter with 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips and 140 grain Failsafes,and for coyotes the Hornady 110grain BTHP(for the 6.8SPC) on top of a heavy dose of Rl-19 and a magnum primer is pretty amazing.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Super Fun Guy

I know this is an old thread but I've got a .308 Savage Model 11. It's custom built with a sniper stock, a 50x18 scope and a muzzle break and it's accurate. I've had the opportunity to fire it one day and had it dialed in very quickly. It is heavy so not something to take on long hunts but the stock adds a lot of weight. I only was shooting at 100+ yards. I could be a better shot with more practice but I'm impressed with the rifle. The ammo I was using was a mixed bag I bought from a friend. It also has a very light and short trigger pull. For the money it's an amazing shot!
Old 12-26-2011, 03:30 AM

I have an older MDL 112 long action in 270win with the cheap plastic stock.
Out of the box with a 10X sope from a shaky rest and factory ammo this rifle will shoot sub MOA@100 yards.
After I adjusted the trigger (not an Accu-Trigger) and with a side focus scope and a Save-a-Limb muzzel damper the rifle will shoot 3 shot 1 hole groups @200 yards w/factory ammo, and do it from a red-neck shooting bench (PU Truck).
The triggers on the older rifles are not the best but can be replaced for around $100, The actions are a bit rough but will smooth out with time and a bit of oil or light grease along the action rails.
Due to thier ease of barrel swaping, increased accessories, and a price that is now lower than a Howa 1500 a Savage is hard to beat for a very accurate bargain rifle.
I am now looking for a savage 111 in 308
Old 12-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Crusty Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,509 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurdne View Post
I am now looking for a savage 111 in 308
That would be the Model 11 (or 10). The 111 is the long action.

If you find one, invest in a barrel nut tool and an action wrench. These two inexpensive tools will enable you to do a couple of things:

1. Switch barrels. With the short action Model 10 in 308 Win, you can rebarrel to anything based on the 308 Win case, including 243 Win, 7mm-08, 22-250, etc. The platform is quite versatile in this respect. New barrels will cost anywhere between $165 and $500, depending on a variety of factors. I find that in many cases, the cheap barrels shoot as well as the more expensive ones.

2. Set the headspace for your rifle where you want it. Since I only shoot handloads out of my bolt guns, I make up a headspace gage from an empty brass case. I find that Savages shoot most accurately with minimum headspace. So, I size to almost minimum on my press and fill up the case with epoxy. This is my headspacing gage. When I rebarrel, I screw the barrel halfway in, chamber the headspace gage, then screw the barrel as far as it will go onto the gage, and tighten up the barrel nut.