Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Allergic to Bull****

Thanked 15,069 Times in 5,347 Posts
Default Basmati rice VS. generic white rice

Advertise Here

If you have ever had Basmati rice you would know that it has an incredible flavor and a great smell.

Both are visually "white rice". Would basmati last longer or shorter? Anyone have any experience or data?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:18 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 7,744 Times in 2,366 Posts

Basmatti is great and lasts a long, long time in those burlap zippered, plastic lined bags it comes in.

As for the white rice--get Japanese varities. The sticky stuff, not Uncle Ben's.
More nutritional value.

And learn to like "nori" (seaweed paper).
Wrap a rice ball in nori and it's great.

500 million Asians can't be wrong.

T

Last edited by TAKEZO; 12-28-2008 at 12:46 AM..
Old 12-28-2008, 12:23 AM
RockOut w/ your GlockOut

We have only stored Basmati, so I could not compare.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,832 Times in 815 Posts

The folks at Kusha Rice say:

What is the shelf life of Royal Basmati Rice?

Approximately two (2) years if kept at a cool even temperature, such as the refrigerator. Food storage companies offer air tight food containers and nitrogen packets to extract out the air, therefore insects cannot live in the environment. Stored under these conditions the rice can last indefinitely.

I personally like jasmine better, or Niko Niko brand short grain rice [best for sushi].
Old 12-28-2008, 12:37 AM
You're no daisy

Thanked 1,798 Times in 680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowserCat View Post
The folks at Kusha Rice say:

What is the shelf life of Royal Basmati Rice?

Approximately two (2) years if kept at a cool even temperature, such as the refrigerator. Food storage companies offer air tight food containers and nitrogen packets to extract out the air, therefore insects cannot live in the environment. Stored under these conditions the rice can last indefinitely.

I personally like jasmine better, or Niko Niko brand short grain rice [best for sushi].
I have two 20lb bags of basmati rice in the plastic lined burlap sacks they came in.. is that good enough for two years or should I repackage it? These are kept in plastic storage bins with lids that fold shut... I wonder if it is thick enough to keep mice out.

Maybe I'll just adopt a good cat for mousing purposes...
Old 12-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Hiker

When storing food in large quantities, I would consider a cat a really good pet to have. Mine caught 4 field mice this fall when they tried to spend the winter in our basement. I also have sone glue traps for where she can't reach, but the problem with them is you find out they've worked by the smell. My cat eats the bodies, so no smell problem.

I also try to mice proof my foods, but they will do things like chew their way into your TP. Who needs that?

Thanks for the Basmati information. I've been buying long grained enriched stuff because it is cheaper. I'll start adding Basmati to the mix now.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Hunter

I just bought 50lbs of Adolphus long grain enriched rice for $20.99 at Sams. Is this a good food source to put by? It is going in mylar bags with oxy absorbers.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:06 AM

Rice is great and there are so many varieties. I use Japanese short grain rice as my go to rice but also have Jasmine and Basmati on hand as well. I do not use Cal rose rice which is really sticky and high in starch. I find it hard to make fried rice the day after with it, I have a rice cooker and it is a no brainier to make rice in about 45 min. I buy rice in 20 lb bags and will always have at lease 60 lb on hand. We eat allot of rice 3 to 4 times a week.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Target Shooter

Default Royal Basmati

According to Wikipedia, Basmati rice can come in either white or brown varieties.

The general rule is that white rice stores longer than brown.

Browsrcat is correct about "Royal Basmati" in his post above, it is the variety imported through Kusha, in Irvine CA, and sold in the zippered burlap "Hippie purse" bags at places like Sams clubs and others. The FAQ posted at the Kusha web site says Royal Basmati is white rice. I thought it was interesting that Royal Basmati is "aged", one year before shipment.

Note, the Kusha web site FAQ also recommended freezing the rice for a few days before storage, (this is a pretty common method to kill any remaining insects, or eggs that might have gained access to the bag), other brands and types may actually need this process, and a week is better to cold soak the package. First I have to say, I have never found anything but rice in Royal Basmati, its been absolutely clean, exceptional. Second, my advice is that if you use the (freezer) method, keep the rice in the plastic bag, or repackage the rice such that it is in plastic for freezing. After removal from the freezer, allow the rice to come up to room temperature before opening the bag to keep moisture from condensing on the cold rice. Last, if you plan to use the bucket-bag and absorber method for long term storage, you can skip the freezer altogether because the removing the oxygen is more effective than freezing.

I have enjoyed Royal Basmati for years, and have not noticed any difference in its characteristics when stored a few years just in a bucket. As for long term storage, I am using the "buckets-bags-and absorber" method, but haven't opened any yet, so assume I am good to go. I really recommend Royal Basmai.

I agree with Takezo, Asian sticky rice is excellent. If you haven't tried this you are missing out. If you think rice means "Uncle Ben's", I am not sure there is hope for your recovery, but try it anyway. I don't know how long stick rice will store, but I am putting up some just the same. I expect it is likely I will be opening my long term food reserves in more difficult times, and think sticky rice will probably seem like a dessert
Old 12-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Target Shooter

I read somewhere(possibly here) yesterday that the Mormons say that many dried foods, including rice, have a shelf life of 30 years when properly stored. Is this so?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Hunter

I went to a different Sams Club today and found Royal Basmati Rice, 15lbs at $16.77. Is it worth the extra cost in taste difference from Adolphus long grain enriched rice?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Target Shooter

Default probably

You can download the "LDS preparedness" handbook, available in the download section, and look through their recommendations. LDS groups have been storing food a long time, so collectively they have some good recommendations about food storage. The handbook is not perfect but a good place to start your research.

I feel confident that some grains will be good for 20-25 years with bucket-bags and absorber storage methods. Grain has been stored for years in grain silos with little more attention than keeping the moisture content down and keeping out the rats, so they may be correct about 30 years with proper methods.

Oxygen absorbers are a relatively new item for home use, but they appear to be a magic bullet for long term storage of dry items. Picking the right item to store, removing the moisture, oxygen, light, and providing a cool storage place will probably get you there.

I don't think any of us has the time to wait for an exact answer, to know if the process works "perfectly". I plan to open some of my stored items periodically and check for freshness, and will be pleased if I get 15-20 years, good enough for me.

Hmmm, in another 30, 40 years I probably wont care.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Allergic to Bull****

Thanked 15,069 Times in 5,347 Posts

Now the question is, these oxygen absorbers, do they have any long term negative effects? Because i has metal shavings/powder in them that oxidize.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Target Shooter

Default rust

The packets contain Iron, which oxidizes to lock up the oxygen, read that as rust. The permeable packages essentially act like a one way valve, gasses can penetrate, the oxygen stays chemically locked up inside with the iron as rust. No downside, unless you eat too many packets, ha. If so, you wont need any iron supplements in your vitamins, ha.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken For This Useful Post: