Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-21-2008, 04:34 PM

Default Vacuum Sealing

Advertise Here

Does anyone here know how long childrens breakfast cereal will last if you vacuum seal it? I've been looking online, but can't find any real answers. I notice that the expiration date is about a year or so, I didn't know if vacuum sealing would make it last 3 years or more? It seems they say that storing this way will prolong life sometimes 2-3x the normal time. Thanks for any info!
Old 12-21-2008, 04:42 PM
All bark, no bite

The DW and I have tried this a few times. It seems to keep considerably longer but the vacuuming process tends turn your cereal to crumbles and dust.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Small Game

Perhaps it'd make it last longer vacuumed out. I dont see why it wouldnt. Try it out and see if it does.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:00 PM

Some folks are wrapping are things ...

Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to dolmen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Gettin' there

Thanked 1,114 Times in 349 Posts

I vacuum seal everything from flour, rice, sugar, pasta, cookies etc. Even cheese nips & bugles! They pop & crackle a bit but so far, have all kept their shape and not broken up.
The Following User Says Thank You to sportzkardnutt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Target Shooter

It will work to an extent. You get a shelf life of at least a year based on the best-by-dates marked on the boxes, and that is without doing anything. The factory packaging is pretty bad, and your sealer would be better. Some kids cereal is over 50 percent sugar, pretty hard to spoil with that much sugar unless you add moisture.

There are some questionable sealers on the market, some don't work very well, others seem to go a good job. The other factor will be the contents of the cereal, breakfast cereal that has semi-dry fruit (anything with any moisture) may not work as well for longer term, dryer cereal has a better chance to last.

In my opinion, I don't think any of us has the time to wait, to do complete testing, before beginning to store food. We need to do something now even if it is not perfect. I personally think you will get your 3 year shelf life if not more. Don't wait.

Think about this as a way to proceed if you don't already have a plan.
Pack a number of boxes of cereal every 6 months or so, you pick the period and quantity to fit your needs. Continue packing to your schedule. Open a test package at a fixed period after the best-by-date from the original box, maybe 6mo or a year later than that date. If it is still fresh, repeat the test on another package from your original batch after another equal period of time until you find questionable cereal. Now, you will know the "preservation factor" for your process and that particular cereal. You could then go back and mark your sealed bags with your own best by dates based on your test. If you already have a better plan then post it.

I am also packaging cereal, but using one gallon bags and oxygen absorbers in hopes of adding a number of years to the shelf life. The point to me would be to go ahead and do it, will surely be better than factory packaging.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:02 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll be getting started this week.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:37 PM

Question id like that same anser

I was wondering the same thing so i still would like to know what the shelf life of vacuum sealed cereal is but i to have had no luck finding the answer myself
Old 08-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,672 Times in 6,113 Posts

You will probably be better off getting Mylar bags and O2 absorbers. It may be cheaper for you. Those vacuum seal bags can get a little expensive. For things like meat, chicken and steak is one thing... but for boxes of cereal, the cost might run high as you are using large amounts of vacuum bags.

Part of the efficiency of vacuum seal bags is that you can re-use them over and over. But if you have it locked up for years for things like cereal you will have years before you can re-use them.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,811 Times in 31,350 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_little_critter View Post
I was wondering the same thing so i still would like to know what the shelf life of vacuum sealed cereal is but i to have had no luck finding the answer myself
The downside to vacuum sealing is that first off, it doesn't remove as much O2 as an O2 absorber would, so it's not a great solution for long term storage. And secondly, the vacuum sealer bags are not a true air barrier and over time, they let air back in again. It's ideal for shorter term storage, and especially for freezing meats without freezer burn. Also good for waterproofing important documents and such.

But for long term storage, it's hard to beat mylar bags and O2 absorbers.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Prepared

If I was doing this just for hubby and me, I'd use quart jars and the jar sealer attachment. Won't crush the cereal. I don't have any 1/2 gallon jars so don't know if they use the same wide mouth lids as quarts, but I do have an old quart and a half jar that does. I keep my every day dried beans in it. Seal it up again every time I use some out of it and haven't had any problems re-using the lid yet. The only downside I can see is the mass quantity of jars you'd have to have to do this on any big scale. You might just be better off storing the stuff to make your own granola cereal as you need it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TXbookworm For This Useful Post: