Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 PM
JLB's Avatar
JLB JLB is offline
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 256
Thanks: 3
Thanked 206 Times in 72 Posts
Default The best survival rifle you probably never heard of



Advertise Here

The Rossi matched set.

I have one of the earlier Youth Matched Sets with .22 LR barrel and .410 shotgun barrel that I purchased for my son. The shotgun also can shoot slugs, so would be better than a sharp stick if something big and hairy had you up a tree.

They have since added another barrel, in .45 muzzle loader.



These break down in half and come in a small case that holds the receiver and the extra barrels in sleeves. It would be easily packable, or could be attached to a pack.



If you could pick one rifle/shotgun, this would be a great choice, similar to a Thompson Contender concept. It's light, and breaks open just like a shotgun to load a single shot. Reloads are fast, with auto ejection when you break it open. It takes about a minute to switch out barrels by unscrewing the front swivel and screwing in the other barrel. That is all there is to it.

Best of all, mine came in stainless, and are amazingly inexpensive, but of a very high quality.

Now they are making a three barrel matched set in some more serious calibers.

---------------------


Three Guns In One - The Trifecta
The Trifecta three-barrel youth gun is an extremely versatile shooting system that combines the three best selling calibers in the Rossi line. The set includes either a .243 Win. or 44 Mag. barrel with fiber optic sights, .22 Long Rifle barrel with adjustable fiber optic sights and 20-gauge shotgun barrel with brass bead front sight.

The set also includes a black synthetic stock with removable cheek piece that allows the gun to be adjusted for proper fit with the various barrels. Remove the cheek piece when using the shotgun barrel and its traditional front bead. With the cheek piece in place, the stock is just right for using the rimfire barrel’s fiber optic sights. When using the centerfire barrel either with the included open sights, or with a riflescope, the cheek piece maintains the correct comb height for proper shooting form—a scope mount base that accepts any standard Weaver-style rings is included.

Trifecta specifications:

Item number: S2022243YBS (Matched Set 20-gauge/.22 LR/.243 Win. Youth Size)
Item number: S202244YBS (Matched Set 20-gauge/.22 LR/.44 Mag. Youth Size)
Barrel length: 22”/18˝”/22”
Finish: Matte Blue
Weight (with each barrel): 6.3 LBS
Overall length: 35”/31˝”/35”
Stock: Black Synthetic
MSRP $299.00 to $329.00
--------------------------

They also have a full sized set with a 12 gauge barrel, a .243 barrel, and a .50 muzzle loader barrel. I think the best survival set is the .44 mag, .22LR, and 20 gauge. It says "youth size", but it is easily used by an adult, and the larger 12 gauge set loses some of the portability. With the .44 barrel to back up a .44 mag revolver, you gain muzzle velocity and accuracy, and could take any game animal in North America.



http://www.rossiusa.com/products/matchedsets.cfm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLB For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 09:34 PM
madcritter's Avatar
madcritter madcritter is offline
Here's my safety Sir
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SE Coastal NC
Posts: 13,948
Thanks: 11,235
Thanked 18,192 Times in 6,609 Posts
Default

The best Survival rifle: M14 with Art Leather wood 3X9
__________________
Ride hard you can rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
Old 12-18-2008, 09:39 PM
S.James S.James is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: State of Grace
Posts: 1,533
Thanks: 425
Thanked 1,209 Times in 528 Posts
Default

I've seen them . I would not contaminate my safe with one .

BUT a single shot for your kid , it is a fine first rifle .
Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 PM
JLB's Avatar
JLB JLB is offline
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 256
Thanks: 3
Thanked 206 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcritter View Post
The best Survival rifle: M14 with Art Leather wood 3X9
A fine rifle for defending the hacienda, but not very effective for small game or birds.
The Following User Says Thank You to JLB For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 10:40 PM
madcritter's Avatar
madcritter madcritter is offline
Here's my safety Sir
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SE Coastal NC
Posts: 13,948
Thanks: 11,235
Thanked 18,192 Times in 6,609 Posts
Default

a 22 for birds ? thats why I own 5 12 gauge shotguns.
__________________
Ride hard you can rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
Old 12-18-2008, 10:41 PM
magfed556 magfed556 is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: West of everyone East
Posts: 2,076
Thanks: 1,122
Thanked 2,212 Times in 872 Posts
Default

Here we go again, and for the last time..............MINE is the best survival rifle.LOL
Old 12-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Brother Buck Brother Buck is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Banifornia
Posts: 7,233
Thanks: 1,675
Thanked 7,019 Times in 3,311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magfed556 View Post
Here we go again, and for the last time..............MINE is the best survival rifle.LOL
So is mine.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:52 PM
madcritter's Avatar
madcritter madcritter is offline
Here's my safety Sir
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SE Coastal NC
Posts: 13,948
Thanks: 11,235
Thanked 18,192 Times in 6,609 Posts
Default

An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.
Will Rogers
US humorist & showman (1879 - 1935)
__________________
Ride hard you can rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
Old 12-18-2008, 11:04 PM
JLB's Avatar
JLB JLB is offline
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 256
Thanks: 3
Thanked 206 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.James View Post
I've seen them . I would not contaminate my safe with one .

BUT a single shot for your kid , it is a fine first rifle .
You should shoot one before passing judgement. Taurus owns Rossi, and they make quality firearms. They are plenty accurate for their intended use, and the versitility is second only to a Contender.

I don't have an ordinary kid, I guess. My kid's first rifle was a Chipmunk, at age 5. By age 7 he was shooting a 10-22, and by 9 he was shooting my AR-15 quite well.

His first pistol was at age 8, and was a S&W Model 34-1 made in 1976. By age 10 he was shooting my model 66 with magnum loads. He shoots double action, because that is the way I taught him.







He had also logged over 200 miles on the Appalachian Trail by age 10.





He's now 12, and just started shooting my Uzi sub-gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to JLB For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 11:10 PM
JLB's Avatar
JLB JLB is offline
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 256
Thanks: 3
Thanked 206 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcritter View Post
a 22 for birds ? thats why I own 5 12 gauge shotguns.

No, a .22 with an interchangeble .410 spare barrel. That's why it is called a Matched Set.

Now you can get a .22 and a 20 gauge, with a .44 magnum or .243 barrel, all in one package, for around $300.

You can also get a 12 gauge, a .243, and a .50 muzzle loader, all in one.

Five 12 gauges is nice, but you can only carry one, so you may need to get a 6th, with a nice .243 and .50 to go along with it.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:23 PM
S.James S.James is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: State of Grace
Posts: 1,533
Thanks: 425
Thanked 1,209 Times in 528 Posts
Default

JLB ,
I rarely backpedal , but in this case I will , kind of , .................Looks like your kid is on the right track !!! Nice S&W ya got him shoot'n . A kid that shoots like that need s better weapon than a Rossie ................


Ya ever make it to Wyoming we'll get him behind an M14 .
Old 12-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Bobjr59 Bobjr59 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Covington Georgia
Age: 55
Posts: 91
Thanks: 370
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB View Post
The Rossi matched set.

I have one of the earlier Youth Matched Sets with .22 LR barrel and .410 shotgun barrel that I purchased for my son. The shotgun also can shoot slugs, so would be better than a sharp stick if something big and hairy had you up a tree.

They have since added another barrel, in .45 muzzle loader.



These break down in half and come in a small case that holds the receiver and the extra barrels in sleeves. It would be easily packable, or could be attached to a pack.



If you could pick one rifle/shotgun, this would be a great choice, similar to a Thompson Contender concept. It's light, and breaks open just like a shotgun to load a single shot. Reloads are fast, with auto ejection when you break it open. It takes about a minute to switch out barrels by unscrewing the front swivel and screwing in the other barrel. That is all there is to it.

Best of all, mine came in stainless, and are amazingly inexpensive, but of a very high quality.

Now they are making a three barrel matched set in some more serious calibers.

---------------------


Three Guns In One - The Trifecta
The Trifecta three-barrel youth gun is an extremely versatile shooting system that combines the three best selling calibers in the Rossi line. The set includes either a .243 Win. or 44 Mag. barrel with fiber optic sights, .22 Long Rifle barrel with adjustable fiber optic sights and 20-gauge shotgun barrel with brass bead front sight.

The set also includes a black synthetic stock with removable cheek piece that allows the gun to be adjusted for proper fit with the various barrels. Remove the cheek piece when using the shotgun barrel and its traditional front bead. With the cheek piece in place, the stock is just right for using the rimfire barrel’s fiber optic sights. When using the centerfire barrel either with the included open sights, or with a riflescope, the cheek piece maintains the correct comb height for proper shooting form—a scope mount base that accepts any standard Weaver-style rings is included.

Trifecta specifications:

Item number: S2022243YBS (Matched Set 20-gauge/.22 LR/.243 Win. Youth Size)
Item number: S202244YBS (Matched Set 20-gauge/.22 LR/.44 Mag. Youth Size)
Barrel length: 22”/18˝”/22”
Finish: Matte Blue
Weight (with each barrel): 6.3 LBS
Overall length: 35”/31˝”/35”
Stock: Black Synthetic
MSRP $299.00 to $329.00
--------------------------

They also have a full sized set with a 12 gauge barrel, a .243 barrel, and a .50 muzzle loader barrel. I think the best survival set is the .44 mag, .22LR, and 20 gauge. It says "youth size", but it is easily used by an adult, and the larger 12 gauge set loses some of the portability. With the .44 barrel to back up a .44 mag revolver, you gain muzzle velocity and accuracy, and could take any game animal in North America.



http://www.rossiusa.com/products/matchedsets.cfm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB View Post
No, a .22 with an interchangeble .410 spare barrel. That's why it is called a Matched Set.

Now you can get a .22 and a 20 gauge, with a .44 magnum or .243 barrel, all in one package, for around $300.

You can also get a 12 gauge, a .243, and a .50 muzzle loader, all in one.

Five 12 gauges is nice, but you can only carry one, so you may need to get a 6th, with a nice .243 and .50 to go along with it.
I have the 22/410 I got from wally world about 3 weeks ago I would like to get a 223 or 308 Barrel to go with the kit even a 30/06 would work
Old 12-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Freerunner Freerunner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 52
Thanks: 31
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Looks like a pretty cool rifle. I would like to shoot one and see how they work and feel. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:44 PM
JLB's Avatar
JLB JLB is offline
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 256
Thanks: 3
Thanked 206 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.James View Post
JLB ,
I rarely backpedal , but in this case I will , kind of , .................Looks like your kid is on the right track !!! Nice S&W ya got him shoot'n . A kid that shoots like that need s better weapon than a Rossie ................


Ya ever make it to Wyoming we'll get him behind an M14 .
Hey, there is nothing wrong with a Rossi. Let me ask you this...

If I dropped you 200 miles in the middle of nowhere like Les Stroud, would you rather hump out with an 11.5 lb M-14, plus an 8 lb Remington 870, and a 6 lb Ruger 10-22 (plus ammo...), or this .308 with spare 12 gauge barrel @ just over 6 lbs? Add another 2-3 lbs for a .22 barrel...



If I had a porter, I'd take my FAL, my 11-87, and my 10-22. If it were my own ass humpin through the boonies eating various critters, I'd take that Rossi.

My kid has already tried shooting my FAL, and he needs a little more meat on his bones before he steps up to that. He did shoot my friend's Serbu .50 BMG with me bracing him, but once was enough.



Btw, I love Wyoming, and used to work summers at Yellowstone at Mammoth Hot Springs near Gardner.

It must be cold there now, eh?
Old 12-18-2008, 11:59 PM
JLB's Avatar
JLB JLB is offline
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 256
Thanks: 3
Thanked 206 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobjr59 View Post
I have the 22/410 I got from wally world about 3 weeks ago I would like to get a 223 or 308 Barrel to go with the kit even a 30/06 would work
I know you can get the .223 on the smaller youth size, but I'm not sure about the .308 on the smaller frame.

Pick up some slugs for that .410, and you can throw a surpisingly large hunk of lead out of that small shotgun barrel.

Check this:

http://www.remington.com/AMMO/PAGES/Ammofr.htm

.410 Ga
2 1/2"
1/5 Oz load
1830 MV
651 ft lbs of energy

This is very close to the .41 Mag in both slug size, velocity, and energy.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Kalifornia Guy's Avatar
Kalifornia Guy Kalifornia Guy is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kalifornia
Posts: 2,197
Thanks: 2,078
Thanked 2,036 Times in 973 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcritter View Post
The best Survival rifle: M14 with Art Leather wood 3X9
The best Survival rifle: It was the rifle you left home , So now the rifle in your hands is the best Survival rifle.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:26 AM
TBULL55's Avatar
TBULL55 TBULL55 is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 649
Thanks: 297
Thanked 215 Times in 138 Posts
Default

I picked up the Rossi Tri-Fecta in OD green the day after thanksgiving at ****s. I thought it was on sale, turns out it wasn't. Picked it up for about 300. I got the youth model, nice rifle system to keep in the truck.

oh yeah, it's .22LR, 20Ga.& .243

I have not shot it yet, but look forward to it.

Tbull
Old 12-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Decker Decker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 82
Thanks: 24
Thanked 72 Times in 27 Posts
Default

If I wanted to would it be possible to get a .308, 22lr, and 12g shotgun combo? Or do only some barrels fit with some actions.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:29 AM
JLB's Avatar
JLB JLB is offline
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 256
Thanks: 3
Thanked 206 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
If I wanted to would it be possible to get a .308, 22lr, and 12g shotgun combo? Or do only some barrels fit with some actions.
You can geta matched pair in .308 and 12 gauge, or you can get a matched pair in .22 and 12 gauge, so you could probably buy the .22 barrel seperately.


The Rossi Matched Pair is already a classic firearm. Our rimfire models are available in .22LR,. 22 Magnum and.17 HMR and come with either a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun barrel to make it the perfect field gun. The rifle barrels are drilled and tapped to accept Weaver-style scope mount bases and feature adjustable sights. Rossi adds in transfer bar technology to help prevent accidental discharges. Changing from rifle to shotgun or back is as easy as 1-2-3.

SPECIFICATIONS
Model: S121280RS
Caliber/Gauge: .22 LR Length of Pull: 14.25" Wood Finish: WALNUT FINISH
Capacity: SINGLE SHOT Barrel Length: 23" Stock Config: FULL SIZE STANDARD
Action: BREAK OPEN Overall Length: 38" x BUTT PLATE
Choke: N/A Weight: 6.22 lbs Soft Case Inc: NO
Chamber: N/A Finish: BLUE UPC: 6-62205-21281-9
Rate of Twist: 1:16.5" Drilled & Tapped: YES Status: AVAILABLE NOW
Drop at Heel: 2.83" Front Sight: ADJUSTABLE Manual: Click Here
Drop at Pull: 1.93" Rear Sight: ADJUSTABLE MSRP: $160.00
Extractor/Ejector: EXTRACTOR Sling Swivels : YES Buy Now :





The Rossi Matched Pair is already a classic firearm. Our centerfire models are available in today's most popular hunting calibers and come with either a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun barrel to make it the perfect field gun. The rifle barrels are drilled and tapped to accept Weaver-style scope mount bases and feature adjustable sights and a manual safety. Changing from rifle to shotgun or back is as easy as 1-2-3.

SPECIFICATIONS
Model: S12-308RS
Caliber/Gauge: .308 WIN Length of Pull: 14.25" Wood Finish: WALNUT FINISH
Capacity: SINGLE SHOT Barrel Length: 23" Stock Config: FULL SIZE STANDARD
Action: BREAK OPEN Overall Length: 38" x RECOIL PAD
Choke: N/A Weight: 6.22 lbs Soft Case Inc: YES
Chamber: N/A Finish: BLUE UPC: 6-62205-46205-4
Rate of Twist: 1:12" Drilled & Tapped: YES Status: AVAILABLE NOW
Drop at Heel: 2.83" Front Sight: ADJUSTABLE Manual: Click Here
Drop at Pull: 1.93" Rear Sight: ADJUSTABLE MSRP: $271.95
Extractor/Ejector: EXTRACTOR Sling Swivels : YES Buy Now :
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net