Survivalist Forum banner

What do you think about my next chick order?

8K views 35 replies 22 participants last post by  62bravo 
#1 ·
My wife and I are planning on ordering some chicks friday August 1st.

Breed / Quantity

Australorp - 5
Barred Rock - 5
Buff Orpington - 10
Dominicker - 5
Rhode Island Red - 5

Plus the 17 or so we have left after the dogs, fox and chicken hawk got finished.

47 hens with 3 roosters.

My Rhode Island Red rooster is on loan to my cousin right now.

#2 ·
Looks like a good order. I like all the breeds except the RIR...mine where always high strung/jumpy.

I've always wanted to put in a diverse order like yours and get various breeds, but I'm in love with Barred Rocks. So when I pull the trigger it always ends up being 25 barred rocks. (only reason I've had RIR's is because I've bought grown pullets from individuals)

Is there any particular reason why you order such a variety?

#3 ·
I've always wanted to put in a diverse order like yours and get various breeds, but I'm in love with Barred Rocks.

Is there any particular reason why you order such a variety?
Barred rocks are great, but I have not seen a single one go broody.

The reason why my wife and I want a variety is for various traits. The Buff and Dominicker are supposed to sit on eggs.

One of my current Australorps will go broody at least once a year.

#5 ·
I've seen Barred Rocks go broody many times. Maybe it is the place you are getting them from.

I've bought from here: http://townlinehatchery.com/shop/chicks/brown-egg-layers/

and when I lived in Iowa I bought from here http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/barred_rocks.html

could be the stock you are getting from.

One Barred Rock would fly over the fence every day. We would watch her go into the barn. We discovered where she was laying her eggs. When she had about 11 or so she started sitting. I took her food and water so she wouldn't ever leave her nest long and I made sure I shut the barn door.

Another that I remember...she started sitting on a bunch of eggs...not even sure they were all hers! She hatched out around 10-12...

#6 ·
I regularly have broody hens, but I have found that every one is either a bantam or a bantam mix. Of all the breeds I have/have had, they always have bantam in them and they will brood 365 days a year once they start, if I let them. The last hatch from my broody hen, she successfully hatched 12 out of 15 eggs. I was happy with that!

#13 ·
I usually order a mixture. I like the variety. I'm not a fan of RIR. I get a straight run mix or all pullets. I have roosters. Last two years I just hatched eggs. I turn the roosters loose and let them scratch in the sheep and goat pen. I try and keep hens which either show Ancona or have feathers on their legs. I find the cochins are good setters. The Ancona's are flighty but are egg machines. I raise ducks in the chicken pen. They are mixed now. I do get three from the feed store each year so as to get new blood and attempt to keep the breeds that I like.

#16 ·
I have RIR's 'lorps, and rocks. The lorps are great birds but the RIR's hen peck and mount the heck out of 'em, to the point they are losing lots of neck and back feathers. Free-ranging does not solve this problem. Why do hens mount other hens anyways? Is it hormones? Also, I've raised several muscovies with chickens and never again. Muscovie hens are mean as can be, and had to have a seperate coop so as not to tear the heck outa my hens.

#29 ·
My RIR's do the same thing, and they are almost completely bald on their backs. No pick spray doesn't work, ichthammol doesn't work, blukote doesn't work, neither does more roosting space, coop space, run space, more protein, nothing! They ride each other and pick and pluck feathers. Only 11 of them and they have a 40'x150' run with grass and stuff to do.

I wont get RIR's next time around. Had lots of frostbite last winter, to boot!

#21 ·
The order was revised a little and has been placed. Shipping date is August 13th.

The final order was :

Buff Orpington - 10
Australorp - 5
Dominique - 5

This will give my wife and I around 37 hens + 2 roosters. One rooster is on loan to my cousin, so really 3 roosters.

#28 ·
Kev. Have you look into Araucana (not Ameraucana or easter eggers). True Araucana.

I have been thinking about them. It seems they would be ideal for a Free range flock. Preditor resistant, okay egg layers, good brooders & mothers. In addiction, being a south american breed you would get a gentic diversity not otherwise available.

The down sides seem to be they are somewhat rare, and pricer (if bred true the tuffs cause a 25% in egg fataility rate).

http://www.ameraucana.org/index.html

In addition, I just found this great PDF that provides a wonderful side by side comparison/history of chickens from The Livestock Conservatory

http://albc-usa.etapwss.com/images/uploads/docs/pickachicken.pdf

The note about the Buckeye really caught my attention: Excellent broilers; Best ranger of the American class;
exceedingly protective mother.

As did the Dominique: "Excellent forager and homestead fowl; primarily a laying fowl, but has nice breast proportions for meat"

Holland: "Top-notch foragers; good homestead fowl"

Java: Premier homestead fowl; excellent forager

Lakenvelder: Excellent foragers; very predator-savvy

And the list goes on. WE may have all been getting the wrong birds....

Langshan: not likely good for us...but plum colored eggs.......

#35 ·
The new chicks arrived at the post office this morning. I made a trip over there, picked them up, brought them back to where I work, cut the bottom out of a solo cup so they can get water.

Ideal Poultry called yesterday said there were not enough australorps to fill my order, asked if I wanted to substitute with something else.

I substituted the 5 Australorps with 5 Barred Rocks.

None of my barred rocks ever go broody, but at least one of my Australorps goes broody every spring.

Even though the Barred Rock is an old time favorite, their urge to go broody has been bred out of them. It has gotten to the point where those old time favorite chicken breeds need modern day incubators to sustain their populations.

The broodiness is ok though, as this gives my wife and I an even dozen Buff Orpingtons. As long as the barred rocks lay eggs either my Buffs or Australorps will sit on them.

The order ended up being:

10 Buffs
5 Dominickers
5 Barred Rocks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.