Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 01:23 PM
boonduck63's Avatar
boonduck63 boonduck63 is offline
Honor and Action
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 45
Thanks: 86
Thanked 44 Times in 14 Posts
Default rice for dessicant?



Advertise Here

Can rice be used as a dessicant?
Old 12-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Humungus's Avatar
Humungus Humungus is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 816
Thanks: 363
Thanked 1,343 Times in 377 Posts
Default

as long as the item you are protecting with it doesn't absorb moisture as easily as rice.

The problem is that rice, if it does get most, can mold or spoil.
The Following User Says Thank You to Humungus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2008, 02:55 PM
RubberChickenGirl's Avatar
RubberChickenGirl RubberChickenGirl is offline
Recent Blog:
Now go refill your Zippo!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the Middle
Posts: 254
Thanks: 135
Thanked 72 Times in 44 Posts
Default

In New Zealand they put rice in the salt shakers to keep the salt clump-free. Dunno if it has other applications. I think Martha Stewart put it in cheesecloth saches in containers with opened seed packets.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RubberChickenGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2008, 03:15 PM
CornFedReb CornFedReb is offline
Deo Vindice
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Occupied North Florida
Posts: 138
Thanks: 38
Thanked 76 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonduck63 View Post
Can rice be used as a dessicant?
There are, of course, much better things than rice for use as a dessicant but I have used it effectively when I had nothing else.

I took some 3" x 5" clear zip lock bags like you can find at office supply stores, punched holes through both sides of them with an ice pick and put a handful of rice in them before sealing them up. I threw these in with some "metal items" and they seemed to do the trick in a sealed container.

Wiki article which includes mention of rice as a dessicant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccant

It's been a while since I read "No Surrender - My Thirty Year War" by Hiroo Onoda but I believe he used rice to perserve the ammunition for his rifle while it was stored in glass bottles.

Hiroo Onoda was a Japanese Army Lieutenant who survived and evaded search parties on the island of Lubang for 30 years after WWII. Lubang island was only 6 miles wide and 18 miles long. He killed 22 people during that time whom he considered "enemy combatants" so the search parties tried to do a pretty thorough job. Onoda proves it can be done.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Straight Razor's Avatar
Straight Razor Straight Razor is offline
Wild Edibles Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,169
Thanks: 850
Thanked 9,763 Times in 4,217 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3
Default

Rice in salt shakers is common in restaurants everywhere. As for Martha Stewart, like most men, I find her obnoxious.

Last edited by Straight Razor; 12-14-2008 at 08:15 PM..
Old 12-14-2008, 03:28 PM
TacomaJPP's Avatar
TacomaJPP TacomaJPP is offline
To secure peace is to...
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hills of East TN
Posts: 4,195
Thanks: 3,241
Thanked 6,471 Times in 2,151 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default

I know people who have thrown their cell phones into a container of rice to dry it out after an accidental swim in the lake. I baked mine out with radiant oil heater instead. My wife's friend used to work for a cell phone company and she told people to do it all of the itme. Apparently it works...
Old 12-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Straight Razor's Avatar
Straight Razor Straight Razor is offline
Wild Edibles Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,169
Thanks: 850
Thanked 9,763 Times in 4,217 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJPP View Post
I know people who have thrown their cell phones into a container of rice to dry it out after an accidental swim in the lake. I baked mine out with radiant oil heater instead. My wife's friend used to work for a cell phone company and she told people to do it all of the itme. Apparently it works...
I have dropped a cellphone that fell in a pool into alcohol and it continued to work after I drained it out.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Brimasmom's Avatar
Brimasmom Brimasmom is offline
Knocked Down But Up Again
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Next stop: Willoughby! This train stops at Willoughby!
Posts: 5,515
Thanks: 5,553
Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,347 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Razor View Post
Rice in salt shakers is common in restaurants everywhere. As for Martha Steward, like most men, I find her obnoxious.
Are there any women anywhere that you approve of in any fashion? Just curious; you never seem to have a good word for women in general. It's getting obnoxious.

Oh, and to keep this on topic: rice can definitely be used as a dessicant, but its uses are very limited.
__________________
A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions.
The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

Proverbs 27:12 New Living Translation

Help to keep this forum going by donating TODAY! http://www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brimasmom For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2008, 05:23 PM
RubberChickenGirl's Avatar
RubberChickenGirl RubberChickenGirl is offline
Recent Blog:
Now go refill your Zippo!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the Middle
Posts: 254
Thanks: 135
Thanked 72 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Razor View Post
Rice in salt shakers is common in restaurants everywhere. As for Martha Steward, like most men, I find her obnoxious.
Classy. This is the 2nd time you've tried to insult me unprovoked. Go away.

They don't use rice in shakers here nor in Reno, NV so , no, NOT "everywhere". Yes, in New Zealand. Did I mention I liked her personality or did I stay on topic with a tip? Did you get popular being such a jerk?
Old 12-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Texas mom Texas mom is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas. Where else?
Posts: 367
Thanks: 143
Thanked 213 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Ignore him. Some men are threatened by strong women, and disguise that threat to their masculinity as hate. You have to figure a certain percentage of Rambos here are using their guns to make up for something - ya' know?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas mom For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2008, 05:32 PM
RubberChickenGirl's Avatar
RubberChickenGirl RubberChickenGirl is offline
Recent Blog:
Now go refill your Zippo!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the Middle
Posts: 254
Thanks: 135
Thanked 72 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas mom View Post
Ignore him. Some men are threatened by strong women, and disguise that threat to their masculinity as hate. You have to figure a certain percentage of Rambos here are using their guns to make up for something - ya' know?
Is he *always* like that? Thank God for decent men like my dh. I so would NOT last with an abusive male.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:38 PM
dayliterun's Avatar
dayliterun dayliterun is offline
Deo VIndice
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southeast Georgia
Posts: 6,071
Thanks: 2,203
Thanked 4,063 Times in 2,354 Posts
Default

My grandmother, mother and now my generation has always used rice in the salt shakers here in the south to help it shake out better.
The Following User Says Thank You to dayliterun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Brimasmom's Avatar
Brimasmom Brimasmom is offline
Knocked Down But Up Again
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Next stop: Willoughby! This train stops at Willoughby!
Posts: 5,515
Thanks: 5,553
Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,347 Posts
Default

Ignore the troll, Rubberchickengirl. Once TEOTWAWKI arrives, men like that will see how much mileage that kind of attitude will get them with the strong women that will inherit the world. Where ever did they get the idea that we ladies - and I do mean LADIES - will just wilt and fade away without the presence of men?

Why, without being prompted by men we ladies knew that rice could be used as a weak dessicant, right?
__________________
A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions.
The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

Proverbs 27:12 New Living Translation

Help to keep this forum going by donating TODAY! http://www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brimasmom For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Straight Razor's Avatar
Straight Razor Straight Razor is offline
Wild Edibles Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,169
Thanks: 850
Thanked 9,763 Times in 4,217 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberChickenGirl View Post

They don't use rice in shakers here nor in Reno, NV so , no, NOT everywhere". Yes, in New Zealand.
Well... think about it. The reason why they don't have rice in salt shakers in Reno, Nevada, because there isn't much of a humidity issue in the desert. Where there are humidity issues you will find rice in salt shakers, around the world.

That said what I always found interesting is that Reno Nevada is farther west than Los Angeles, California.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Straight Razor's Avatar
Straight Razor Straight Razor is offline
Wild Edibles Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,169
Thanks: 850
Thanked 9,763 Times in 4,217 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimasmom View Post
Are there any women anywhere that you approve of in any fashion? Just curious.
Well, it is off topic, but yes... Katherine Hepburn was quite a woman, just about near perfect in my book; Audry too. Nana Visitor and Lexa Doleg steal my heart and the way Sandy Duncan moves... what a dancer... Professor Christina Hoff Summers. I interviewed her twice. What a brilliant, insightful woman. She was a delight to talk with. Rachel Ray seems like someone to have a great time with. I was quite depressed when I heard Ann Heche was gay. But now that she isn't life is better. Ayn Rand captured me for for a decade or so as did Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island. She was far more attractive than "Ginger." Jessica Savitch was a great journalist whose life ended way too soon. I miss her reporting. She was a classy lady and a penetrating mind. And while I disagree with her politics I met Hillary Clinton about a decade ago and she was an impressive woman in private. Much more personable than her public persona.

The only two positions I have taken to receive all this derision is 1) women should not be in combat and 2) their increased participation in journalism has lowered its standards. Both positions are well-supported by research and are reality whether the ladies here like it or not. Neither position is sexist as they are both are based in fact and reality. I don't go to the ladies section because I don't find it interesting, nor do I go to the knife section because I don't find it interesting either. Occasionally there is a new post that I respond to but that is not trolling. I don't contribute to either section and I don't read either. it just so happens that it crosses my path now and then.

Last edited by Straight Razor; 12-14-2008 at 09:17 PM..
Old 12-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Straight Razor's Avatar
Straight Razor Straight Razor is offline
Wild Edibles Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,169
Thanks: 850
Thanked 9,763 Times in 4,217 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3
Default

As for Martha Stewart.... most men don't care for her because she would be impossible to live with. She's extremely picky and whether the person is male or female a picky person doth not a good mate make.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Tugger's Avatar
Tugger Tugger is offline
CHEERS :p
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,945
Thanks: 1,543
Thanked 1,787 Times in 752 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Razor View Post
I have dropped a cellphone that fell in a pool into alcohol and it continued to work after I drained it out.
unfourtunatly he can never use his phone because its always at the AA meetings :D
Old 12-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Brimasmom's Avatar
Brimasmom Brimasmom is offline
Knocked Down But Up Again
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Next stop: Willoughby! This train stops at Willoughby!
Posts: 5,515
Thanks: 5,553
Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,347 Posts
Default

[quote=Straight Razor;394701]Well, it is off topic, but yes... Katherine Hepburn was quite a woman, just about near perfect in my book

Katherine Hepburn a great woman? What??? I am related to the late Spencer Tracy, and it might not shock you to hear that our family thinks the "fabulous Kate" is little better than a whore. A talented whore with a great job, but an adulterous whore nonetheless. I cannot fathom why you would find her to be "perfect".

[I]The only two positions I have taken to receive all this derision is 1) women should not be in combat and 2) their increased participation in journalism has lowered its standards. Both positions are well-supported by research and are reality whether the ladies here like it or not. Neither position is sexist as they are both are based in fact and reality.[/I]

Well-supported by WHAT research? Cite your sources and make sure they're legitimate, thorough and credible. We ladies will be checking, I assure you.

I don't go to the ladies section because I don't find it interesting, nor do I go to the knife section because I don't find it interesting either. Occasionally there is a new post that I respond to but that is not trolling. I don't contribute to either section and I don't read either. it just so happens that it crosses my path now and then.[/quote]

Now you really have me rolling, Zorba. Your chauvinistic thoughts are in the Ladies Section so often that you should be awarded an honorary vagina! Who are you trying to BS??? My word, man, you are throughly pathetic! It is my belief that you hate women so much because you spend most of your life alternating between being afraid of women and secretly wanting to be one.

Go away little troll boy...you bore me.
__________________
A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions.
The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

Proverbs 27:12 New Living Translation

Help to keep this forum going by donating TODAY! http://www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brimasmom For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Straight Razor's Avatar
Straight Razor Straight Razor is offline
Wild Edibles Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,169
Thanks: 850
Thanked 9,763 Times in 4,217 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3
Default

[quote=Brimasmom;395925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Razor View Post
[I][B]

Your chauvinistic thoughts are in the Ladies Section so often that you should be awarded an honorary vagina! Who are you trying to BS???
I am fast approaching 5,000 posts (4,964) with only a few dozen in the ladies section at most. That is not a lot of presence. I almost never go there because I don't find it interesting, just as I don't find the knife section interesting. I only look at new posts and occasionally one in those sections is interesting. In fact, I don't even look at who writes the posts.

As far as my posts being boring... people ignore boring posts. They respond to posts that motivate them for better or worse. Either way, that is not boring.

Re Spencer and Katherine... it was he who pursued her and he who refused to marry her, not the other way around. She was in love with him all a her life. I think calling her a whore is conveniently ignoring his poor behavior and his crass use of her. Who was trashing who's heart in that relationship?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Brimasmom's Avatar
Brimasmom Brimasmom is offline
Knocked Down But Up Again
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Next stop: Willoughby! This train stops at Willoughby!
Posts: 5,515
Thanks: 5,553
Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,347 Posts
Default

[quote=Straight Razor;396233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimasmom View Post
Re Spencer and Katherine... it was he who pursued her and he who refused to marry her, not the other way around. She was in love with him all a her life. I think calling her a whore is conveniently ignoring his poor behavior and his crass use of her. Who was trashing who's heart in that relationship?
As usual, you speak as if you know what you are talking about. Your "facts" are completely incorrect. I'm a family member and I am privy to inarguably more insight into that relationship than you can ever hope to know. Not for a minute do I excuse Spencer's behavior, but you can be sure that Kate KNEW full well that he was married and would never be available to marry her. But, we are off topic.

With the utmost respect to you, sir...stop your hating of women. Oh, and don't forget that we ladies are still waiting for you to disclose your sources and for you also to cite concrete examples regarding the way women have ruined journalism amongst other things. The funny thing is, though, I don't think you'll be able to find them. BECAUSE THEY DON'T EXIST.

Enjoy your Monday evening to its fullest.
__________________
A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions.
The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

Proverbs 27:12 New Living Translation

Help to keep this forum going by donating TODAY! http://www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net