Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,587 Times in 6,679 Posts
Default New File Added: Maverick (by Mossberg) Models 88 and 91

Advertise Here

Downloads: A new file has been added by kev:

Maverick (by Mossberg) Models 88 and 91

Owners manual for the Mossberg Maverick models 88 and 91.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Elitist Gun Snob

Excellent Kev! I'm thinking of picking up a model 88 from a pawn shop here. They have 3 of them on sale for $99 each. I hate mossberg but am tempted to go for these based on the excellent deal...
Old 10-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,587 Times in 6,679 Posts
Default mossberg

Ok, I'll bite - why dont you like mossberg.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:13 PM
I love this forum

I'm lovin' my 88! You can't beat a 12 ga under $200.00. So far I've shot around 200 rounds and haven't had a problem at all. One question I do have that concerns me is that on the Maverick web site it states that they're all chambered for 3'' shells, and does that mean I can't shoot 2 3/4 shells through it? Just wondering b/c my wife bought about 100 rounds of target rounds and they're all 2 3/4? Just wondering.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Funky Laughin' Monk

Quote:
You can't beat a 12 ga under $200.00
Mossbergs are nice, and cheap, but Remington beats them hands down at least in my opinion.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Airborne

I think im going to get a Mossberg 500 Field when i turn 18. I have access to an 870 Wingmaster, and it is much heavier then the Mossy i handled today, (Maybe more durable, but with a barrel that long it needs to be able to swing quickly). Also, Mossys seem to change barrels more easily, and i like how it pumps in comparison to the Remington, (feels like a shorter pump). One last thing is that the safety seems more practical then on the Remington. I really liked it. The place i went to also had Bushmaster ARs for $900, so i think i might get one of those when i can too!
Old 10-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,890 Times in 10,484 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

with the money i saved on my 88 i had the cash to mod it the way I want
Attached Thumbnails
mini-guns1-1.jpg  
Old 10-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Elitist Gun Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Ok, I'll bite - why dont you like mossberg.
Honestly, they feel cheap in my hands. And knowing that the receiver is aluminum and not steel reinforces this. The foregrip is able to be moved side to side just by turning the wrist while gripping it. I don't like parts on my guns to feel loose like that.

Mossberg's also have HORRIBLE amounts of malfunctions when feeding and ejecting shells. I have had one jam on me every third shot because it failed to eject correctly. Had another that would feed the shell right out the bottom of the receiver rather than into the chamber. Kev, you had the exact same problem in the video you made to compare the Mossberg to the Remington. BUT...I've had Mossberg's that operated perfectly without any problems whatsoever. Then again I've never personally seen nor heard of these problems with Remington.

And I know that these problems don't occur for every gun out there, but they are very prevalent for the company. When speaking with the owner of Dave's Gunshop here in Lafayette, he told me that he won't even carry mossberg, and most times won't take them in a trade deal just to avoid the hassle of having to eventually see it back in for repairs or replacement.

Sadly, the materials they're made from are cheap as well. Instead of Polymer, plastic. Instead of wood, composite (in some cases). Instead of steel receivers, aluminum. Now this can be said for Remington as well in their budget line guns, but not in their mid grade and higher end offerings, which is still the case when looking at Mossbergs (with the exception of their actual military and police contract weapons, which look to be nicely made).

However, I realize that this debate is as old as the hills and never goes anywhere due to blind brand loyalty. I know Remington fans that only swear by them because their daddy owned one, and can't tell me the first real reason as to why they're better.
I made my decision on which brand I prefer based off of experience with the guns in MY hands NOT based on what someone told me. I've asked opinions of people in the BUSINESS of dealing with them on a selling and MAINTENANCE level for insight into what makes them tick. And then I've owned both. After all of that I can honestly say that the only shotgun I'll buy (between the two...I'd really like an Ithaca over/under) is a Remington.

Last edited by DeadHorrorFan; 10-27-2007 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: Grammatical Error....
Old 10-28-2007, 08:31 PM

Awards Showcase

"Instead of Polymer, plastic".

what do you think Polymer is? I've never had a single feed failure either
Old 10-29-2007, 01:58 AM
Elitist Gun Snob

when I say plastic...i mean the stuff G.I. Joes are made out of. Not tightly woven synthetic materials like fiberglass. Sorry for not being clear enough.

Like I said....I don't expect EVERY gun to have feed failures. But it happens often enough with the brand that I'm willing to avoid it, unless it's just too cheap to pass up for a recreational piece.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:55 PM

My 500 is great no malfunctions when feeding and ejecting shells at all and thats after 200 rounds at once, and its a very sturdy gun, but everybody has there own opinion.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:38 PM
VIP Member

I have a 500. It's never failed to function. Just about anything you buy today is built as cheaply as possible and sold for as much as possible. I have purchased some more expensive guns before and had problems with them.
As previously stated everyone has their preferances but I have had good luck with these shotguns. Saw one configured bullpup style the other day at the gun store. Really short gun would work well in a dwelling.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:32 AM
ole punk from podunk

skeeter, the 3' means that that is the maximum length of shell you can shoot from your 88. the 2 3/4 will be ok, glad you like the maverick...pk
Old 01-20-2008, 11:43 AM

Awards Showcase

The 12-gauge shotgun is a manually operated (pump), repeating shotgun with a seven-round tubular magazine and a modified choke barrel. The Bullpup is the militarised version of the M500 sporting shotgun. The bullpup 12 can be retro-fitted to an conventional Model 500. It is equipped with a bayonet stud, sling swivels and a standard length military stock. This special-purpose weapon is used for guard duty, prisoner supervision, local security, riot control and situations that might require the use of weapons of limited range and penetration but maximum stopping power.

Manufacturer: OF Mossberg & Sons Inc.

Service: US police and military forces, foreign military forces

Calibre: 12 gauge, 2 or 3-inch cartridges

Length: 784 mm

Barrel length: 508 mm

Weight: 3.85 kg

Magazine capacity: 6 or 8 shots

Wonder what the recoil is like, and how much a conversion kit is (and if it'll work with a maverick 88)
Old 01-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Bushpuukko

I prefer the Winchester because the bolt is lugged. I shot Mossbergs in the military and they worked but felt cheap i.e. plastic safety switch. But when we brought out the old Ithaca Model 37's ( US Navy) that's when the real fun began. I agree, to each their own. Shoot what you have and shoot it well!
Old 03-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,315 Times in 2,678 Posts

well if you getting it to sit at the side of the bed and only useing it to shoot the rare goblin breaking into your home its fine for. because when the cops show up they are going to take your weapon (if not all weapons in the house)and in most cases it is rare you get your weapon back even if your in the right.(if its a really nice weapon say bye bye to your weapon it will never get turned in) cops is short for organized legal thieves, just go through a police road block with $1000 cash when you are going to the gunshow with.(what is your gut feeling?)
Old 03-29-2008, 01:56 AM

I find that with my mossberg the 3 inch shells do tend to get jammed in the ejection port, however the 2 3/4 inch shells seem to work just fine. I havent had much trouble with them.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:58 PM

i need a Maverick model 91 tear down manual
Old 10-01-2011, 11:51 PM
}:)~

Thanks for posting this kev. I know a lot of people buy the 88 from pawn shops and such that could use the manual.

Where I live they pretty much give mavericks away. Out the door here they are $180! For a brand new shotgun. That aint bad.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,673 Times in 2,236 Posts

its light and makes a great skeet shooter. no reliabilty problems. love my 88