Survivalist Forum banner

care of food grade hose

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  IamZeke 
#1 ·
Just got a food grade uvresistant 55 gal barrel(blue). Will be filling the barrel with a food grade hose, and treating the water as I have learned on this forum. I am assuming the residual water retained in it could grow things and don't want that. I will connect it to itself to seal it up.
My question is (have looked at other threads already): Once I use the food grade hose, how do I keep it clean and able to be used in the future? I can drain out residual water, but what will keep it sanitized for future use?
Your thoughts and guidance.

#3 ·
For the filling hose, I do as you do, drain the hose and reconnect it to itself.

For pumping drinking water from the water barrels, I grew tired of the siphon/pumps and purchased a couple EZI-ACTION® PLASTIC DRUM HAND PUMPS (15 oz. per Stroke), manufactured by New Zealand Pump Co, although I found them at a better price at US Plastics.

I then needed to attach a hose to these pumps, so I opted for 3/4" ID clear, food-grade vinyl tubing. Since this tubing is sold by the foot and has no connectors, after draining, I used corks on each end when storing the tubing.

HTH

Attachments

#4 ·
Simply connect the male end to the female end; voila! Nothing can get in, or out.

That's what I've done to mine.

#5 ·
Once clean and dry just store in a dark cool place. UV stabilizing helps but isn't perfect. Heat also no friend of plastic either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.