Survivalist Forum banner

Large scale disasters becoming more common

3K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Sailorsam 
#1 ·
Just in the last month we've had a plane go missing with 200+ probably dead
South Korean ferry sunk 300 people probably dead.
Larger planes-ships-trains being used every day with larger and larger volumes of passengers being transported to save space and make more profit.
Do you risk getting on such transport as often or do you believe its a rare scenario and carry on as usual?
Personally I tend to risk assess my day to day travel/life more and more for exactly these reasons.
Rescue services can only do so much its down to yourself to save yourself if possible and thats the only way to think.
Assume no one is coming to help you in any event especially a mass scale disaster and if they do then great.

#2 ·
What did we have in the 12 months before that? How many planes went down? How many ships sank taking with them hundreds of passengers?

Your risk of these things is very low. That doesn't mean ignore safety concerns when you use such services, but I don't worry about that stuff and I don't think there's much profit in such worry.

Just be situationally-aware, and that's about what you need--and be clear on exits, emergency procedures, and so on.

#3 ·
Actually this topic had me thinking in terms of terrible weather. I would say yes to the fact that weather patterns have been worse then normal in the U.S. the past decade. We had the longest , coldest winter here in Michigan since 1979 and we just got pounded again by storms. Southern states have had more and more severe storms then I can remember and we face things like the Japanese reactor leaks and more and more accidents regarding things like oil spills and fracking. The world is entering into some perilous times (my opinion). Is it climate change? I don't know. I am not an expert on climate change and we have today one expert saying we are entering climate change and another saying its hogwash. Hard to know the truth about such things . I wish I had a better way of planning for what is coming. I wont be riding on any cargo ships or flying anywhere so that takes care of that.

It is my opinion that the world today is spitting out more strong storms then it has in my past. I don't remember storms like these when I was a kid. Then again is it really that much worse then 40 years ago? The question that evades me is are we at the peak of this harsh weather or is it going to get even worse? KF

#5 ·
Maybe also we have today better quicker real time news presentations.
I agree. The internet has made even small town news a big thing.

Today there was a small shooting incident in the Ukraine business. Not some large scale attack, but a short shootout between rival militia groups half the world away. But it was national news here.

Ferries loaded with people sink about every year in the Philippines but a ferry sinking is now big news in Korea?

Now I'm waiting on the horrific news of the Bangladesh cyclone. No, it hasn't happened yet but it happens just about every year there anyway. When the news comes out about it they will gin it up like it came out of the blue and the cause is surely global warming, even though it is all about the location and the fact that the country is too poor to invest in resistant infrastructure.

Tragedy hasn't really increased. News coverage has. It's always been a tough planet for most folks. Unless you are in a Western nation then disaster and war is always right around the corner.

#8 ·
It's a fair question as to whether there are more accidents, or the same amount with more dissemination. I read some nautical history and shipwrecks were sadly common in the past. The same with natural events (storms, quakes); are they increasing, or do we just do better noticing/reporting?
i worry about all the quakes off the Pacific here lately.

#9 ·
Having done search and rescue ,all similar events are of interest to me.
Also of interest is carrying appropriate gear and training to handle these situations.
In the lists of things people cary ,no one I see list leather gloves, because no one thinks of escaping tangled and shredded sheet metal.
Even though it's movie "Cast away "and "The edge" and "The Grey" have a lot of good lessons, I'm not sure others were sharp enough to pick up on.
It the mind set that is missing in folk, to think what should have been done .
How am I prepared, should I be put in the same situation?
Whether I use public transportation, or my own vehicle, I am scanning the country side to assess the survivability of having to walk home through that area.
What I've learned to watch for is the domino effect, what fallows after the initial event .

#10 ·
Having done search and rescue ,all similar events are of interest to me.
What I've learned to watch for is the domino effect, what fallows after the initial event .
LOOTING.

and your neighbors wanting you to 'share' everything. (see Sandy Hook)

#11 ·
Have a strict no share policy sign
A compromise with one begets a compromise with all .
You have/had as much opportunity as I, to prepare for possible disaster,knowing a disaster is eminent .
Choosing not to prepare, is choosing to die with the disaster .
That was your choice, not mine, do not blame me for your poor choices.
Do not attempt o guilt me into compromise I am not mean or selfish, i love my family rightfully, and more than you love yours.
As proof, you are up set reading this notification now.
Blame your self, and only your self .

#13 ·
Anyone get an email from FEMA for April 30?

"We invite you to register your participation in America’s PrepareAthon!, a nationwide campaign to improve the Nation’s resilience. This National Day of Action takes place on April 30, 2014.
By registering your participation in the first National Day of Action, you help build a stronger and more resilient Nation. Learn your risks and what to do before a Tornado, Wildfire, Flood, or Hurricane strikes your community. *Learn the actions to take how to prepare your family, community, and business. You will have access to these preparedness resources and more that can be customized to fit your needs:

• “How To” Guides*• Preparedness Playbooks• Promotional Materials• Events Calendar• Discussion Groups• Additional Resources tailored to specific hazards and audience "

#14 ·
I don't like flying but do not let it stop me from traveling. I have come to the conclusion when it is your time to go, it just is. If your plane, ferry , or bus is the one out of the millions that has an accident and you die, it was just your time to go. You could get into a wreck a mile from home and die, or a tree could fall on your house, or you could get a brain tumor. Life ends in death, always. Nothing new about that at all. Disasters have always happened to people. Only now we hear about it more, and there are way more ( too many) people, so of course, more people die, in disasters and otherwise

#17 ·
The perceived increase in disasters isn't the problem. They were there and will always be there. It's the now widespread use of media and information that wasn't there years prior. The use of information now makes it look like these accidents or disasters are more widespread than ever before.

Also, the planets population has exploded exponentially. As stated before, the planet will start to cleanse itself. It does with every other species. Look at the price of food right now. Multiple threads on the price of food climbing with no end in sight. The planet is starting to cleanse itself, and is using our economics to do so.

#18 ·
Also, the planets population has exploded exponentially. As stated before, the planet will start to cleanse itself. It does with every other species. Look at the price of food right now. Multiple threads on the price of food climbing with no end in sight. The planet is starting to cleanse itself, and is using our economics to do so.
I can agree with that 100 %. The planet will control its numbers or we could say the situations on the planet will control the numbers. If food runs out people will starve. If water is in short supply there will be lack of crops and people will starve. Yes. Agreed.

#19 ·
I agree with the others that we just hear more about them now because of 24/7 news.

But I don't travel much that's not in a car/truck. I would hate to live in a big city and have to take ferries and subways to get around. I haven't flown much since 9/11/02. We drive if we need to go far away now. No security check points, no layovers, no crying babies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.