Survivalist Forum banner

Stockpile Tamiflu?

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Brew 
#1 ·
#7 ·
From a Medical Person -

Tamiflu is given to millions of people yearly without ill side effects, I'm not saying that there are none, they're just rare. It is an inactive virus and WILL NOT cause you to get the flu. Side effects are mostly pain and/or redness at the local injection site. A NASAL spray version is available as well. benefits FAR outweigh any potential side effects. If you're healthy even if u get the flu, you will feel like dirt, making hard to prep/postprep, but you will most likely recover. You will however be infectious to others, potentially causing the elderly, pregnant women, the very young and the chronically ill much more harm then you yourself are at risk for. These groups are at the most risk for experiencing severe illness or even death from it.

The best way to avoid it is avoiding those who may or do have it, even to the extent of avoiding shaking hands in the winter months/flu season, liberal use of hand sanitizers and even wearing simple mask around those who do have it or having them wear one. I hope this helps to clear up any questions or confusion on this topic. If we all "stockpile" Tamiflu, it causes a shortage and those who truly need it, won't get it.

BE SAFE, Prep well, educate others

Dan

#10 ·
You state that Tamiflu is given to millions of people annually. Is this in the US? Worldwide? Is it effective?

The article has several points that you do not address:

Professor Carl Heneghan said side effects included serious "psychiatric adverse events, renal adverse events and metabolic adverse events"
That sounds pretty serious if Tamiflu is ineffective.

Hundreds of millions of pounds may have been wasted on a drug for flu that works no better than paracetamol, a landmark analysis has said.

The Cochrane Collaboration claimed the drug did not prevent the spread of flu or reduce dangerous complications, and only slightly helped symptoms.

It concluded that the drug reduced the persistence of flu symptoms from seven days to 6.3 days in adults and to 5.8 days in children. But the report's authors said drugs such as paracetamol could have a similar impact.

#9 ·
Flu vaccines trigger a metabolic response. That's what they are designed to do. Your body rushes to counteract it and build antibodies. The issue here is that your body is busy on that and anything else you currently have or get right about might get put on the back burner.

Getting a severe cold is very common after getting a flu vaccine. Your body ignores the cold virus while it deals with the inactive flu virus you have just been given. Most folks simply shrug off a cold normally with a few shiffles and such, but when allowed to go unchecked because your immune system is busy elsewhere then you get the full force of the cold. Because a severe cold and a flu give almost identical symptoms most folks think the flu vaccine just gave them the flu.

Forget the Tamaflu. Tamaflu doesn't change but the flu virus does every year. Get the basic vaccine every fall and you should avoid a real flu most years if the CDC picked the right trio of strains to vaccinate against.

Reactions: NoMoSTi
#11 ·
I won't disregard something that has been proven effective at least a portion of the time. I stock it and plan to stock the elderberry remedies as well.

Reactions: siege571 and Brew
#13 ·
OP google for the Israeli study. Elderberry extract, the very strong commercial one made by dehydrating rather than boiling. (after the first cook)

"An Israeli study used Tamiflu, Relenza and Sambucol to treat flu, and turned up surpising results. Sambucol or extract of Elderberries was equally as effective as both commercial drugs as long as it was administered at the first sign of symptoms in the same way the drugs were."

The most valuable med will be:

"Number one: Anti diarrhea tablets

The number one killer can be prevented with a simple pill. The human body is capable of losing 32 liters of fluids in 24 hrs. Aside from lung infection this is a common killer. Dont wait till the shelves are empty. boxes of store brand pills can be bought 48 for around 10 bucks. Unless you have a spare 32 liters of fluids every day, then you probably dont need them."

#17 ·
OP google for the Israeli study. Elderberry extract, the very strong commercial one made by dehydrating rather than boiling. (after the first cook)

"An Israeli study used Tamiflu, Relenza and Sambucol to treat flu, and turned up surpising results. Sambucol or extract of Elderberries was equally as effective as both commercial drugs as long as it was administered at the first sign of symptoms in the same way the drugs were."

I totally agree with you about the elderberry extract. I've seen it work amazingly quickly on people, and it has kept this asthmatic old woman relatively healthy.

Randomized study of the efficacy and safety of oral elderberry extract in the treatment of influenza A and B virus infections.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15080016

Inhibition of several strains of influenza virus in vitro and reduction of symptoms by an elderberry extract (Sambucus ***** L.) during an outbreak of influenza B Panama.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9395631

Every year I got a flu vaccine I would get the flu. I don't know if it was because of sheer bad luck or just a crappy immune system. Since I have been taking Sambucol, I haven't caught the flu. Six years now.

I'll stick with elderberry extract. (I now have five young black elderberry bushes - I hope I can keep them alive.)

By the way, the Sambucol syrup totally rocks on pancakes.:D:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.