Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 10-23-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Rice storage

Advertise Here

Ok, I just received my oxygen absorbers yesterday. I have my white containers for long term storage. What kind of rice should I get for survival? I was thinking of getting instant rice because it would take less fuel to cook it. However I haven't seen any instant rice sold in bulk. What is the best type of rice and beans and flour for long term storage?
Thanks
Patrick
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WalkingDead For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,509 Times in 2,125 Posts

The regular non-instant rice. Why its a heck of a lot cheaper and can be purchased for about 10.00 for a 25 lbs bag. It taste better too! The down side like you said is it has to cook longer. But hay 10 billion Japanese can be wrong, right? Dont know how long it last but I have had mine stored as long as about a year to a year and a half. But then I eat rice with some other dish I have cooked at almost every meal, so I eat a lot of rice.

For the Beans, Pinto Beans are hard to beat. With the huge influx of Illegal aliens its starting to be a lot easier to buy this in 20-25 lbs bags just about any store you go in to buy groceries thse days

Cant say too much about the flour. I dont have that much and I dont use that much anymore these days

Hopefully one of the more knowledgable food storage gurus can get on here and give you much better storage info than I gave. I use a lot of my stocks so it gets rotated fairly quickly unlike most peoples stores.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2007, 07:07 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,572 Times in 6,677 Posts
Default long term storage of rice

To be honest, my rice stocks rarley last more then a a few months. We eat rice on a semi-regular basis around here.

Years ago I used to store rice by the 20 pound bags. There is an ammo storage box called MTM case gaurd. I had a couple of the large MTM ammo boxes, and they would stay full of rice. The ammo boxes I had, a 20# bag would fill them up just right.

Recently my wife and I have started buying the all natural, brown (but not organic) rice. Most rice on the market is enriched and sometimes bleached. The enriched rice is white.

I do not know if the natural, non-bleached rice (brown) will store longer the the enriched rice (white).

Next time you are at the store, look at the bags of white rice, most of them will say "enriched" meaning the rice has been processed somehow.

Most health experts and doctors will tell you not to eat anything that says "enriched". My wife and I are trying to remove "enriched" foods from our diet, so white rice is off limits.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2007, 07:19 AM

Lightbulb

You can buy white rice by the 20 lb bag pretty cheap. I just put them in the freezer for a couple of weeks (at least) to kill any egss that might be in them. Then transfer them to 2 liter soda bottles and hide them away. The bottles I have stored like this (you can get almost 3 lb rice in a 2 liter bottle) keep very well without having to be vacuum packed. The sides of the bottles 'suck in' indicating to me that there is a vacuum inside the bottle and the rice is safe even without oxygen absorbers. Rice is cheap, easy to cook, very flexible in adaptability to various meals and in combination with virtually all vegetables and meats.

I personally like red beans but pinto beans, blackeye peas, black beans, lima beans and just about any other dry bean that your family likes can be stored long term. Take a look around your area at what's available and try some 1 lb bags out with your family to see what they like. If you start making the transition to healthy eating now, it will decrease the 'shock' of the change down the road.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Screaming Eagle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Mmmm red beans & Rice are great together, especially with a little hot sauce and sausage!

Like Kev, my wife and I are trying to steer clear of "enriched stuff" We try to eat the brown rice and we have even taken it a step further by trying to eat only organic. It costs a little more, but for a little piece of mind about what it has been sprayed with makes me feel better. Not sure about the storing process though. I know alot of people freeze the rice and one video I have seen shows a lady putting in bay leaves with it to keep bugs out of it once you store it. Supposedly the bay leaves don't leave an after taste although I can not confirm this (yet)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scarcherpilot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2007, 09:29 AM
VIP Member

Brown rice is supposed to have more oils and moisture content, and will not store as long. Oriental peasant people store their white rice in baskets, but I bet they eat a lot of critters along with their rice.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Txkstew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Mmmmm...critter Protien!
The Following User Says Thank You to scarcherpilot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Txkstew is correct in that brown rice does not store as long a white rice.
Personally I am experimenting with a different way to store rice. I put it in baggies usually a cup so it is premeasured and freeze to for a couple of weeks than take it out and thaw for a week them refreeze for a couple more then put in a 5 gal homedepot bucket with some dry ice, let the dry ice melt and put the lid on and caulk. I do put a container of salt in to absorb any moisture and for later seasoning. Works for about a 50 pounds of rice.
I know many say rice has little to add to the diet and why bother with it.
Reasoning is that if I have a filler starch on hand I can focus on the protien and not have to extend my efforts on protien and carbs. If I happen to find carbs in a protien finding all the better. It saves time and effort and allows focus on other important pursiuts. If your budget id tight it may be a better allocation of resources to stock up on a years worth of wheat, rice, oatmeal and then get into the protiens. You can streach out a squirrel further with a side of rice than just a squirrel and parched acorns.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to forrestdweller For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2007, 07:14 PM

I have been grtting my rice at CostCo for 15.00 for 50 lbs. I then vaccum seal it in about 3 lbs bas and store in a water tight plastic barrels. As far as beans go I feel what ever you like. I get reds, navy. great northerns, lima, black eyed peas, pintos, just about any I like them all. But the best way I found is a good vaccum sealer for everything,
The Following User Says Thank You to TxIronWolf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2007, 12:24 AM
Wherever I may Roam

Forestdweller...can you explain the use of dry ice? I read a post here somewhere about putting rice in glass jars with dry ice..when you put the dry ice in, is the jar immediately capped?
The Following User Says Thank You to sixpack110 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2007, 08:03 PM

Hi Sixpack110,
This basically is it.
1. Put small pieces of the dry ice in the bottom of the bucket. Some people put a paper towel over the dry ice.

2. Next put the food in the bucket all the way to the top.

3. As the Dry Ice evaporates it releases Carbon Dioxide thus pushing the oxygen out of the bucket.

4. Wait until the dry ice has finished releasing the carbon dioxide and quickly secure the lid.

Here is a more detailed website for doing this kind of stuff.
http://waltonfeed.com/self/upack/dryice.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WalkingDead For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Sorry for the delay! The reason for using dry ice is it is frozen carbon dioxide gas and is heavier than oxygen laden air so pusdes it out of a container. Carbon Dioxide is an enviroment most bacteria and fungus can not live in so the useful life of food like rice is extended.
DO LET THE DRY ICE EVAPORATE TO THE POINT THAT THE GAS IS ALL THAT IS LEFT IN THE CONTAINER. IF YOU LEAVE UNEVAPORATED DRY ICE AND SEAL YOU MAY HAVE A OVERPRESSURIZED CONTAINER AND BOOOMMMM!!!! can occur sort of like shaking a warm soda can. I generally put a 1 pound container of unidionized salt in the rice to absorb moisture and use later for seasoning. I then seal the lid with a waterproof caulk.
Walkingdead posted the correct method for doing this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to forrestdweller For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2007, 10:07 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 4,271 Times in 2,523 Posts

Last edited by Firebird; 04-04-2008 at 11:48 PM..
Old 11-13-2007, 06:29 PM

I buy rice in bulk at Sam's. I have eaten rice stored since '99 and it was still good. We used mylar bags and then throw the o2 absorbers in it. As long as you keep it in a DRY place your not gonna have any problems. Needless to say, I also have a truck load of spices to go with it b/c plain rice gets old after awhile. Pinto beans are definitely the way to go. BTW there are a lot of good cook books out there on ebay dealing with rice and beans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 76211teen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Target Shooter

i have rice that my family eats that is the leftovers from what i call KY2(or y2k) there is no color change or bugaboos, but hey all they will have been eating is rice.the rice was packed in homer style buckets and sealed and stored in a temperture stable and cool area.
The Following User Says Thank You to ssonb For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,172 Times in 605 Posts

There are alot of possibilities with rice and beans. I don't store enough yet to take any special precautions. I maybe have 6 or 7 months worth, under normal conditions.
The Following User Says Thank You to riverrat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2008, 12:04 PM

what about tinned goods? Is it possible to store them for long periods of time? Such as tinned soups, peaches, tomatoes etc?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:45 PM
comfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
what about tinned goods? Is it possible to store them for long periods of time? Such as tinned soups, peaches, tomatoes etc?
Can't add too much about the storage of rice that hasn't already been said. If you store uncooked rice properly, it'll keep for years. Rice is the survivalist's best friend. Over half the Earth's population live off it as their staple food and have done so for eons...so it's a safe bet that you can, too.

Canned foods are another thing. Although I'm no expert on them, my understanding that they do indeed go bad. My grandmother has some canned goods in her basement from the late '80's....needless to say, they didn't keep.

My question: what about freezing them? I recall watching a documentary a few years ago about Arctic exploration and how a crew found a tinned can in the ice that was nearly a 100 years old that was perfectly preserved, even edible.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Target Shooter

there was a post on another site where i believe dept of ag did some tests on can of food some that were almost 100 years old the cans had no rust thru or buldging besides some color change there was almost no loss in the food nutrent value.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Barefoot Hillbilly

One thing I was thinking of was along with dried beans, is dried corn and bell peppers. Does anyone know how those holds up?