Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-05-2008, 06:07 PM

Default Crossbow for self defense?

Advertise Here

Hello.
I live in the UK. The use of firearms is strictly prohibited. I am worried at the present economic climate and could see things getting a lot worse. (I hope I am wrong) If this happens i want to be able to defend my family the best way i can, that is why i am thinking of getting a cross bow. I dont have a lot of money to spend on it mabe a 100 or so. I am baffled at the array of crossbows on offer. Could someone please advise me on what type of crossbow would be best for defence. ie do i need a pistol or something that can move at 300fps and fire at 175ib.

Thank you

ken
Old 12-06-2008, 07:14 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,136 Times in 2,418 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Hi Ken, this is an American site and they have absolutely no qualms talking about self defense weapons. Steer well clear of using such words in the UK though, it doesn't matter if you're talking cricket bats, knives or crossbows. If you want to get a crossbow it's because you're a sportsman.

Have you tried joining a gun club and applying for a shotgun certificate?
Shotguns can cost a lot less than crossbows and you can hunt with a shotgun, something you can't (legally) do with a crossbow.

I would try and contact arrexian, as everyone here knows he's rather passionate about crossbows, but I would guess you get what you pay for, cheap might not be cheerful in regard to crossbows.

YB

Last edited by Yorkshire Boy; 12-06-2008 at 07:40 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yorkshire Boy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2008, 10:37 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,136 Times in 2,418 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member Outstanding Post 

Just as a side thought, have you thought about getting a couple of Black Widow catapults for you and your wife.

I've seen someone get shot by one on the shin(yes I shot him) and he was pretty much out of the game after that, he really didn't want to know anymore about it and could barely walk.

Stand at the top of your staircase, with a bucket of ball bearings and marbles and unless they had a gun (armed invasion is pretty rare in the UK, they know who you are and what you've got, i.e drugs and drug money), I reckon you and your missus could beat them back. At that kind of distance a body shot would absolutely floor them and I bet you can reload and fire a catapult much quicker than a crossbow.

Anyway, just a thought....

YB
Old 12-06-2008, 01:20 PM

Thats a good idea I will look into the Black Widows
tyvm :-)
Old 12-06-2008, 03:36 PM

Y'all need to stand up and get your rights back....
The Following User Says Thank You to pass-thru For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2008, 06:04 PM
tinfoil bandana

Quote:
Originally Posted by pass-thru View Post
I believe that may be easier said than done in the UK....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mongo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2008, 05:45 AM
Eat what you kill

This thread helps me too, cheers guys...

Yorkshire Boy - nice Pike !!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:27 AM
ruralist

purplemer the fellow who inherited Caburys switched to crossbow, after Tony Martin went down for property defence killing with a shotgun. Danny Collard a Liverpool lad defended his home with a crossbow however, killing the intruder after a shot to the heart and was found not guilty. He walked away from court. Many circumstances were different between their cases, but the most noticable IMO was the tool used in defence.

There's a reload issue certainly, so not missing would be a good idea. Yet, in the narrow halls of your own home (a good kill zone) it wouldn't be so hard. Reload time is not much greater than a break barrel shotgun come to think of it. Several tools could be better than crossbows under all manner of circumstances, but since you specify them, then to reduce the loading difference you could consider a model like the Barnett Commando 2. Frankly I'd advise Barnett since you want to be located in the same country as your model comes from (bolts [unless you are confident in making them]/repairs/recabling and more will just be easier). But I'd say the Commando 2 since that is a fast-cocking design, that operates like a break-barrel so you wouldn't need to drop it to use a foot stirrup etc. I think it does 280 fps. I would generally say go for the higher power full-sized, than a pistol. With the longer bolts you could pin an intruder against the wall were he against it, for one. And what if the intruder has a heavy coat with more layers? You want penetration that pistol might not provide. Heck with 300 or 350 fps you can even shoot through your room door, if he is behind it, something that would at least deter. Also strong models are capable of being left cocked ready to fire anyhow, so you could just leave that under your bedside like a shotgun. Note btw that the Commando 2 is a medium-sized crossbow. Finally I'd advise you get some broadheads to use with the bolts. Those would increase the wound trauma and your chances of hitting a vital organ, than would some standard target bolts.
The Following User Says Thank You to arrexian For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Prepared

I'll vouch for the black widow catas. They can do some serious flesh wounds. Shooting someone in the head with one would almost certainly end in a casualty. They're also less than a tenner!

Get some practice though - they aren't that easy to use and repetitive fire is very tiring. Single, more accurate shots are more viable.

Damn the situation in the UK. Air rifles are pretty much dead as well now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tentacle For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,510 Times in 4,382 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pass-thru View Post
Very helpful,Thanks
Old 12-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Doomsayer

Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,013 Posts

There is nothing wrong with having a crossbow, I wish I had one, but the rate of fire is low, about a third as fast as a regular bow.

Get a gun anyway.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:22 AM

What ever bow you get, make sure you get a repair kit and spare parts for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to kxx1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2008, 04:56 AM
Recent Blog:
Barbarian

crossbow, what is this, Road Warrior?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Hiker

Crossbow with mechanical broadhead at over +300 FPS can be very potent defense. Just make sure you don't miss your shot. You hit someone in the chest or thigh with the xbow in a range of 1ft to 150ft they are toast for sure.

If I were in your situation and got attacked in the UK, I would literally have a nice spear and a light weight shield (like a riot shield) with a knife on me as well. Use the xbow for 1 shot... if you miss prepare for close range hand to hand combat.
The Following User Says Thank You to nullzero For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 PM

I live in the UK, I have a cheap but reliable 150Ibs 220fps recurve crossbow that can shoot through a car door at 20yrds. 2 or 3 UK websites have them for 109.95. If you want more power you may have to spend 250-500. In my opinion pistol crossbow are a waste of time, they lack the power and accuracy for anything but shooting at dartboards. If law and order completely broke down a crossbow and a machete or two would be better than nothing.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:33 PM

Default Love mine

I have a compound x-bow and love shooting it. @20 yds if you shoot some one in the middle it will go through in to the 2nd person....while there screaming for mommie.... reload ....should take no more them 7 sec. Now thats with a good broad head... good wepon and silent.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Hiker

Excalibur xbows are nice . I have a Excalibur vortex 330fps its pricey though with a suggested retail price of $680 (however you can find them brand new closer to $500 or cheaper even slightly used on ebay). Excalibur makes some of the best xbows from what I have heard. I can say that the build quality and performance is amazing.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:36 PM
I love this forum

Are you gonna call the police before you waste some sucker defending your family, get a gun...... don't tell anyone.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Hiker

Bushwacker,

I already got some guns... I think this thread is mainly geared toward the poor U.K. guys where it is almost impossible to own a firearm. Xbow is a decent enough to use for defense where firearms are not in the picture.
The Following User Says Thank You to nullzero For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2009, 11:51 PM
I love this forum

No disrespect, I guess I'm not fully aware of how it is over there. A crossbow will definetly get it done,