Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 04-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,035 Times in 6,738 Posts
Default Halo or red dot?

Advertise Here

Do we have any halo or red dot fans? I have never fired a weapon with a halo scope. A few months ago I did get a chance to look though one and hold a weapon that had one installed, I was not impressed. Red dot seems easier to see during the day but is not very accurate.

So maybe someone can give some feed back as to how accurate a halo scope is?

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:18 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,900 Times in 810 Posts

All right. I'm ignorant. I've heard halo mentioned in a bunch of places - but I'm not familiar with it. Is it a laser sight of some sort?

Cheers,
-Per
Old 04-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Loup-Garou

I'm a red dot fan (Aimpoint, really). With one, I get faster, and tighter shots then without. Also, unlike other scopes, I can keep both eyes open, and get a wide field of vision.

Red Dot= I337!

Kev, when you say "halo sight" are you referring to the Eotech hologram sights?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Da BADDEST MoFo!!

red dot is like a scope with a projected red dot contained inside the optic. A "HALO" sight has only one "glass" and the aiming point is projected onto that glass, they useually come with about 4 diff objectives to choose from. The halos are said to be a little more accurate but for the price $100-$800 diff in price i will go with a $40-$80 bushnell RedDot NEday. Its what i sport on my AR-15 and on my plink time 22lr Buckmark.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,035 Times in 6,738 Posts

Example of a halo scope http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:PS90_sky.jpg

taken from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_P90

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Target Shooter

i have a red dot (pro-point) it is mounted in front of the carry handle and the dot is co-witnesed on top of the front post sight so even if batteries go dead or you ferget to turn it on or the light adjustment is to low for bright sunlight you can still keep both eyes open to make a shot.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Kilo Delta

I fired a shotgun with a halo mounted, it was nice for close-quarter work, beyond that I didn't like it.

Red dots are my preferred choice.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Hooligan on Holiday

Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,453 Posts

I have an ACOG on my main AR but they are not very affordable, at the time I had the funds to aquire mine but I do have a few reddot sights on some of my other rifles. I would take the reddot over the halo anyday just for the brute abuse factor alone, halo's are fragile IMO.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Pastor

Thanked 1,474 Times in 573 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

I now use Mil-Dot on everything with an optic.
I like the hologram images, but for overall, I prefer the Mil-Dot, so I do not need to reconfigure my brain.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:56 PM

Default Busnell Halo Red dots

I have two Busnell Halo sights, one on a CX4 storm 9mm and just mounting one on my AR15. At 50yds, I have 2-3 inch groups on both weapons, at 100yds, I have 4-5 inch groups which is still well on target. I am very happy with both and find them both very fun too shoot. I have no doubt that I can drop whatever I am shooting at up to and beyond 100 yrds.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Recent Blog:
reading since 2008

The Eotech holographic patterns have been designed to be instantly visible in any light, instinctive to center regardless of shooting angle, and to remain in view while sweeping the engagement zone. Reticles of EOTech HOLOgraphic Weapon Sights are designed as large, see-through patterns to achieve lightning quick reticle to target acquisition without covering or obscuring the point of aim.

Heads Up, Full View
The Eo Tech Holographic Weapon Sight (HWS) employs a true Heads-Up Display that eliminates blind spots, constricted vision, or the tunnel vision associated with tubed sights. All user controls are flush to the Eotech Holographic Weapon Sight's streamline housing with no protruding knobs, battery compartments or mounting rings blocking vision at the target area. True, 2 eyes open shooting is realized with EOTech HWS. Instant threat identification is achieved by maximizing the operator's peripheral vision and ultimately gaining greater control of the engagement zone.

The Magic of Holography
In holography, all the information required to reconstruct the reticle image is recorded everywhere in the Heads-Up display window. If the window is obstructed by mud, snow, rain, etc., the Holographic Weapon Sight HWS remains fully operational , with point of aim/impact being maintained. Even in such extreme cases where the laminated window is shattered, the Eotech Holographic Weapon Scope is fully functional! As long as the operator can see through any portion of the window, the entire reticle pattern is visible on target...the operator can still engage with confidence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xm193 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Recent Blog:
reading since 2008

very accurate and rugged
Old 06-19-2009, 09:20 PM
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW

Thanked 1,963 Times in 900 Posts

I have the Russian Eotech, a Kobra. It is very fast, accurate and easy to see in all light conditions.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:53 PM
American Infidel

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,339 Posts

I can't decide...

I have an Aimpoint on one AR, an EOTech on an other AR and I'm putting an ACOG on my SOCOM II.

I got too many toys.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:33 AM
11B20 - Status Inactive

Thanked 4,930 Times in 2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Do we have any halo or red dot fans? I have never fired a weapon with a halo scope. A few months ago I did get a chance to look though one and hold a weapon that had one installed, I was not impressed. Red dot seems easier to see during the day but is not very accurate.

So maybe someone can give some feed back as to how accurate a halo scope is?
Kev, Halographic scopes are actually supperior to red dots. Halo scopes, mainly EoTech, use a halographic negative that is impregnated with the reticle pattern through out the entire piece of film. A laser is shot through this at the bottom, which is an actual laser and not an LED like you find in red dots, and that activates the reticle when you view it. Because of hte nature of the reticle, it stays the same size regardless of how far away from it you are or if you magnify it or not. That 1MOA center dot will stay 1MOA, an Aimpoint dot will go from 4MOA to 12MOA+ when magnified.

The Rev. F EoTechs are much better in performing in the day than previous versions, I have not noticed any shortcomings. As far as accuracy, I was able to plink a 6x10" target at 300m with my AK using one. They are not effected by paralax so regardless of your head position the reticle stays on target, which is a BIG bonus.

As far as durability goes, in the Army I broke my Aimpoint the first time out in the field, when we were given EoTechs it lasted.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Recent Blog:
Barbarian

I've only ever looked through red dots, I'd love to use a halo one though, it reminds me of my video games :P pew pew!