Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 11-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Animis Opibusque Parati

Default NY-Legal AK

Advertise Here

In the next month, I'm going to be shopping for a decent-quality AK. I'm not interested whatsoever in Romanians. It has to be legal for NY, which means no flash hider or bayonet lug. This makes me think I should look for a MAK-90. How is the quality on them? My other option is to go to a local FFL builder and maybe get a semicustom Bulgarian. What are you guys' thoughts?
Old 11-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Genderqueer

Thanked 1,040 Times in 506 Posts

Try a Saiga, NY legal and cheap, excellent quality, among the most accurate and reliable of the AK family, made in Russia by the Izhmash factory that builds russian mil AKs.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Grumpy old man

+1 on the Saiga. If you want a more hard core AK appearance, conversion is very straightforward. I am currently finishing a x39 conversion. Mine functions flawlessly with NY legal pre-ban Hungarian mags and I have not yet installed a bullet guide. If you decide to go this route, feel free to contact me and I'll gladly supply any info and assistance that I can.
vorpal

p.s. The last time that I checked, Herb Phillipsons had Saigas in stock and a Black Friday 10% discount on all firearms.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,275 Posts

The Mak 90s were very good guns. imported by China SPorts in the late 89s and early 90s. I would take one today. Do you have round capacity restrictions for you magazines? I know some states have a 10 round max still in place.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:51 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorpal View Post
+1 on the Saiga. If you want a more hard core AK appearance, conversion is very straightforward. I am currently finishing a x39 conversion. Mine functions flawlessly with NY legal pre-ban Hungarian mags and I have not yet installed a bullet guide. If you decide to go this route, feel free to contact me and I'll gladly supply any info and assistance that I can.
vorpal

p.s. The last time that I checked, Herb Phillipsons had Saigas in stock and a Black Friday 10% discount on all firearms.
ive never seen a saiga at herb's!!!! how much are they getting for them?
Old 11-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Grumpy old man

Grinnan Barrett,
Capacity is limited to 10 rounds if the mag was manufactured after September 1994. Preban mags of any capacity are legal. Preban mags are legal to use in postban rifles.

trixie,
Saiga .308s were $500, .223s were $310, 12s were $549, 20s were $449. Those prices were from 10 days ago at the Watertown store.

vorpal
The Following User Says Thank You to vorpal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 12,735 Times in 4,588 Posts

MAK's (And Polytech) are THE Gold Standard by which AK's are Judged.

Maadi's arn't bad ether but they have a chepo paint job on them...
Old 11-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Animis Opibusque Parati

See I would get a Saiga x39 but i heard they can't use AK mags. Can you convert them and is it hard?

Post-ban magazines in NY are limited to 10 rounds. Fortunately, the commies made a buttload of prebans during the cold war for some reason :P

The thing I like about MAK-90s are that they can be shipped to NY (ie no over the border hijinks) cost about $500 on gunbroker
Old 11-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Grumpy old man

My Saiga x39 functions perfectly with both 20 and 30 round Hungarian mags. (Both pre-ban, as you noted.) I've made a bullet guide, but have not installed it yet. The "conversion process involves removing a tiny bit of material from the top of the mag catch. (It took longer to type this than the metal removal took.)
vorpal
Old 11-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Part Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorpal View Post
My Saiga x39 functions perfectly with both 20 and 30 round Hungarian mags. (Both pre-ban, as you noted.) I've made a bullet guide, but have not installed it yet. The "conversion process involves removing a tiny bit of material from the top of the mag catch. (It took longer to type this than the metal removal took.)
vorpal
I got a Bullet Guide from this site..Dinzag arms... Work very well and you don't have to do any filling on the Saiga factory mags at all.