Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-14-2014, 07:02 PM

Default Everstryke Perma-Match does it really work?

Advertise Here

I found this on facebook, anyone seen, used this before? does it work? https://secure.survivallife.com/land...&utm_campaign=[ES][Fbads][Nugent][12-12-13]&Contact0LeadSourceId=13717
Thanks Dan
Old 01-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,170 Times in 1,015 Posts

More or less, yes. I have one. Think of it as a firesteel crossed with a zippo lighter. You put lighter fluid in it and strike on the firesteel mounted on the side. The chain it comes on is kind of flimsy though but no reason you can't figure some other way to carry it.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 PM
All Murican!!

Looks legit. I like the o-ring so the fuel doesn't evaporate like a zippo. Also if you run out of fuel you have a ferro rod you can strike. I'll get one. Nice addition for the key chain carabiner.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:09 AM
Target Shooter

This is interesting...
Old 01-15-2014, 09:45 AM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 9,618 Times in 4,288 Posts

It would be perfect if the casing is made of magnesium. Then you can use it as a traditional magnesium firestarter in adverse conditions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 12:34 PM

It 2 bucks and change, I'll order it and do a review. I'll let everyone know when it come in and I test it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to danfordman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 02:31 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,616 Posts

$3 is great price, bet you end up on every junk e-mail list and snail mail too.

Will the match work (strike) for 15,000? Likely. Will you have enough fuel is the question? O-rings rot over time especially cheap ones.

I'd rather carry the weight of the unit in all ferro rod. And some of storm matches in a sealed case for emergency fire starting.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
$3 is great price, bet you end up on every junk e-mail list and snail mail too.

Will the match work (strike) for 15,000? Likely. Will you have enough fuel is the question? O-rings rot over time especially cheap ones.

I'd rather carry the weight of the unit in all ferro rod. And some of storm matches in a sealed case for emergency fire starting.
Yeah Junk mail is a given,I used a junk mail address.The "O" ring can be upgraded to a Viton "O" ring, Viton withstands heat and dry climates very well. My Zippo always evaporates within days or sometimes a week or two depending on my environment, typically dry desert climate. Anyway for the 2 bucks and change it may be a useful item, Well see.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:26 PM
Sane among insanity

They have them on ebay for $1 if you are willing to wait for the ship time from China.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:07 PM
reluctant sinner

It's a 5 mile round trip hike to my mail box. The mail lady gets nasty if she has to pound the mail into the box.

Some folks don't understand the limits of 0-rings, even NASA got burned sadly.

This was my home made Christmas gift to friends several years back. Ferro rod epoxied into a neck 7.62 NATO case. The base has a "red rubber" gasket. The grade 5 bolt is turned to a sharp square edge (could be used for a striker) and the case is filled with waste gun powder. It holds enough for starting at least 10 fires. I ran that ammo in a M-60 myself, those were the days.

The next year I made Lighter jackets for them. There is 2 feet of artificial sinew in the stitching. It is sewn double needle locking stitch and is back stitched on both ends. The long seam is treated with jeweler's rouge so you can strop a knife. With the long paracord lanyard it hangs in side your shirt/jacket to stay warm and dry. They are wet formed, stamped and then glued. Painted and dyed when dry. Next sewn on the mandrel. Most are so tight that pliers must be used to change the BIC's out.

Lots easier to start a fire with a flame than a spark.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:51 PM

very nice craftsmanship Charlie. Both are great handmade American Ingenuity, great work. Like I was saying curious if anyone had ordered an Ever Stryke and how it worked. Since I quit smoking I don't pick up the book of matches at the store like I used too nor do I always remember to buy a package of Bic lighters like I used too. I have both in my deployment bag but if they get wet or hands are wet it can be a bit difficult to get to light. I also keep both in my shop tool box, again sometimes if the weathers damp matches don't light or if the Bic has gone empty from doing projects like using heat shrink I find myself scrounging around. I see some possible convenient uses ahead for the Ever Stryke whether it be for my survival pack, shop tool box, or simply a keychain attachment and having it ready for that Sunday afternoon BBQ. I am thinking could be handy Stryker for Oxy/Acet torches or Propane torch. Maybee more reliable than a Zippo when out on a day hike or camping trip. Could be good for a survival or SHTF scenario. I figure for a couple of bucks and change it might pan out as something usefull, I don't know yet I have still yet to receive it. Again I will keep everyone informed when I do. BTW Charlie, do you sell your custom 7.62 Ferro rod fire starters on Ebay or some where similar. I really do like it, it can be easily worn, looks cool and is functional/
Dan
Old 01-15-2014, 06:44 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanks, they were very popular with the folks that got them, others that didn't get one felt left out. Good job quitting smoking, I'm working on that also. I might have a spare NATO ferro rod laying about. I just looked at the one pictured (my prototype) and it was made with a 30-06 case. Oh and the hardened bolt were initialized to the owner. They were made with 1/4"x 2.25 ferro rods from e-bay. I'm sure that they would get you a free proctology exam at the airport. The dry gunpowder is the trick for starting a fire in under 10 seconds. Doubtful you could mail them without the hazardous materials fee if they were loaded. The next versions will be 3/8 or 1/2 inch by 4 inches ferro rod in a full big mag case like a 8mm Rem Mag.

I think the pema match will require a volatile fuel like gasoline or alcohol, doubtful it will work correctly with diesel or cooking oil. Using the little ferro rod alone to start a fire will be tricky. That's why I want bigger rods for my next version.

One of Doan magnesium blocks with a ferro rod was left under the seat in the car over the winter. The carpet wicked some water from the snow and ice melting under the seat. Late spring cleaning reveled the mag block was about 25% eroded away, the ferro rod was still in good shape. Lesson keep mag block dry its an active metal.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Trapper

Nice gadget, but they hold very little fuel. Mine is always out of fuel. A zippo works better and holds more fuel. the big issue the the very limited fuel storage.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
Nice gadget, but they hold very little fuel. Mine is always out of fuel. A zippo works better and holds more fuel. the big issue the the very limited fuel storage.
Thanks for the review, greatly appreciated.
Charlie you're right TSA , Homeland Security, ATF wouldn't like you shipping that stuff. I did get some good tips from you I can attempt to build my own custom fire starter, thanks. BTW I found the ferro rods and Doan magnesium blocks on Ebay, May be a future project.
Thanks Dan
Old 01-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Dumpster Diver

Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,556 Posts

wow, cool stuff,, and that compliment is coming from a McGuyver !!!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Dumpster Diver

Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,556 Posts

my forever match arrived this week after a month, it was free for some reason, something else I bought in the past I guess, but they charged my credit card 2 or 3 bucks shipping
I figure it cost them about 25 cents from china,

it works fine, but the O ring was split when I got it,,

nothing my Zippo can't do.. BUT,, I can get this into a candle jar or can easier without burning my my fingers,,

and same lighting a pipe, without the huge flame of the Zippo

nice little backup. better than matches,, not as good as a lighter

fits right in my harley wallet where money used to be