Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Either

Votes: 95 18.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 42 8.0%

AK-47 or AR-15

37K views 124 replies 101 participants last post by  apollomike 
#1 ·
If you had to pick one, which would it be?

#6 ·
I would prefer the AK over the AR, but niether are my first choice, at least in those calibers.
You knew I would say 5.45 didn't you Kev?
For close heavy hitting rounds, the 7.62x39 is far better than the 5.56x45, but for flat trajectory out further, the hit probability is higher with the 5.56x45, but fragmentation is limited.
7.62x51 is the long range choice for an auto loading rifle, but cumbersome in CQC role.
It all boils down too what you are comfortable with, and in what role you intend to use your weapon.
Most guys who like the .308 are usually older solders, and most don't plan on moving around too much, just sittin and waitin.
Those guys tend to have a bit more patiants, I'll bet that most have .45s too.
Tried and true !
If it works, run what you brung ;)

#11 ·
I chose the AK, Its generally less expensive, and has looser tolerances then the AR so in a survival situation, it would be more reliable and take more of a beating. However, the AK74 in 5.45 would probably be best, as it takes the attributes of both the AR and the AK and combines them, and 5.45 is relatively cheap to obtain, isnt it?

#17 ·
Kev - you should have put a both on this one. I'd like a -74, ideally a Krinkov along with a true XM-177.

Isn't this like a "chicken or egg" thing? It's like a zen monk that walks into a pizzarea and is asked, "Hey what would you like?" and the monk says... "one with everything."

#18 ·
Both

IF i'm in a vehicle or stationary post I would want to have more than one weapon available and would use the correct "tool" for the op. i was going on. lets also not forget "butter knife" rifles,pistols, spears etc. to aquire a better tool,when the situation warrents. remember "red dawn"?

#25 ·
I absolutely love the AK-47 it's just something about its legacy that attracts me. If you drop it in the mud and fill it with sand and it still shoots, that sounds like a pretty loyal rifle to me. And no i do not support terrorism, but i will defend myself against it.

" THIS IS MY RIFLE, THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE"

Reactions: Gardog
#28 ·
Good luck with them Gators !
18+ feet, as I have seen, good eatin though ;)
Remember, shoot em in the eye, which is right in front of thier little brain, the concusion kills them instantly, from the shock wave created by the bullet.
Just hope you don't do it over a canal, some of those go 12-14 feet deep, and the gator will slip under the water in about 5-6 seconds.
It will really tighten your sphincter up, if you have too go swimming for it.
You see, you can't tell if the bubbles coming up, are from the one you shot, or the one that wants too eat you :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.