Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 01-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,953 Times in 6,728 Posts
Default PTAC line that PSA carries

Advertise Here

With as many low tier AR parts on the market, why is palmetto state armory offering their PTAC line?

Besides being ultra cheap, what niche does it fill?

Maybe if you wanted to stockpile several ARs for handout weapons, yea, maybe I can see that. But do you really want to stockpile cheap AR parts?

Is it jut me, or does it seem that palmetto state armory is focusing more on lower quality parts, and less on high quality parts. Where are all of the FN hammer forged barrel uppers? It seems like everytime I go to the PSA page there are more and more PTAC, and less PSA stuff.

It seems to me that PSA is lowering its quality standards by offering parts like the PTAC line.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Thanked 13,910 Times in 4,352 Posts

Is PTAC Prescision Tactical Arms Company?
http://www.ptarms.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Preci...16527211887736

Are their parts inferior to what PSA was selling before?
The Following User Says Thank You to escape For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,953 Times in 6,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
Is PTAC Prescision Tactical Arms Company?

Are their parts inferior to what PSA was selling before?
I am not sure if that is their facebook page.

The ptac line barrels are not chrome lined. Their parts are selling for less than
the typical PSA parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 6,682 Times in 2,619 Posts

As much as I hate to say it, I'm sure they are making good money off of the PTAC stuff. Capitalism at it's finest. Lets face it, the VAST majority of people out there buying ARs and AR parts are not well informed or experienced with the AR15/M16 series. So, most either don't know why they'd want a chrome-lined bore, or don't care. We see it here nearly every day. People that will argue 'til their blue in the face that their low to mid-tier AR is "just as good as Colt, DD, BCM," etc.

So, yeah. Caveat Emptor. I'm a PSA fan, but fortunately I have a pretty decent idea of what I'm looking at on their site. I'll stick with FN components, thank you very much!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Hiker

I've read that they are of lesser quality fit and finish with a few problems here and there. I also read they are a local company near PSA so they can get the product super cheap due to no shipping and the likes.

It's what I read on other gun forums I don't know "personally" if either is true.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Lonesome Road

Thanked 1,638 Times in 559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
As much as I hate to say it, I'm sure they are making good money off of the PTAC stuff. Capitalism at it's finest. Lets face it, the VAST majority of people out there buying ARs and AR parts are not well informed or experienced with the AR15/M16 series. So, most either don't know why they'd want a chrome-lined bore, or don't care. We see it here nearly every day. People that will argue 'til their blue in the face that their low to mid-tier AR is "just as good as Colt, DD, BCM," etc.

So, yeah. Caveat Emptor. I'm a PSA fan, but fortunately I have a pretty decent idea of what I'm looking at on their site. I'll stick with FN components, thank you very much!
I recently fell into the category of shopper that you mention. Without looking into it at all I purchased a PTAC upper with BCG and charging handle for $399. For $399 it is a good deal for the range, but I really don't want to bet my life on it. This upper is on an inexpensive polymer lower with a crunchy single stage trigger. For the short term it is better than nothing, but not ideal. So now I'll be saving up to buy a top of line AR from PSA and keep my PTAC as a low end back up.

PSA is still awesome in my book.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 6,682 Times in 2,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunrush View Post
I recently fell into the category of shopper that you mention. Without looking into it at all I purchased a PTAC upper with BCG and charging handle for $399. For $399 it is a good deal for the range, but I really don't want to bet my life on it. This upper is on an inexpensive polymer lower with a crunchy single stage trigger. For the short term it is better than nothing, but not ideal. So now I'll be saving up to buy a top of line AR from PSA and keep my PTAC as a low end back up.

PSA is still awesome in my book.
Yeah, for a range gun your PTAC should be just fine. It may run like a top. I just prefer a chrome bore and chamber for a rifle that is going to see hard use and questionable ammo.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:03 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Yup. Pretty much every AR thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2014, 07:52 AM
Prepared

I bought their upper on black Friday for 189 and while the finish isn't anything impressive the upper itself fits very well. Also Chrome lined isn't a deal breaker. Better accuracy without Chrome lined and most of us don't shoot to the extent that the Chrome lining will be beneficial. It's not my main ar but I think I'll be happy with it especially for the price.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:02 AM

I do think the PTAC does fit a specific niche market, my neighbor was able to assemble his first AR for under $500. He's a new shooter, never owned an AR before. This AR should get him hooked and now his 2nd AR will become his baby and built the way he wants, needs, and cost 3X what the PTAC did.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:34 PM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 2,045 Times in 944 Posts

There are people that want $469 'just add lower' ARs. Palmetto is filling this void.
The Following User Says Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 2,043 Times in 875 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
There are people that want $469 'just add lower' ARs. Palmetto is filling this void.

Exactly, prices have been creeping up (due to a variety of factors) and people want a gun in the $500 range that they can dump a 30rd mag through and show off to their friends (why I also think WASR AKs are very common).

I already got my beater in the form of a S&W Sport, now on to BCM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Runamok For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2014, 01:49 PM

I'd buy a PTAC uppers to build a dedicated 22lr.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,653 Times in 2,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
With as many low tier AR parts on the market, why is palmetto state armory offering their PTAC line?

Besides being ultra cheap, what niche does it fill?

Maybe if you wanted to stockpile several ARs for handout weapons, yea, maybe I can see that. But do you really want to stockpile cheap AR parts?

Is it jut me, or does it seem that palmetto state armory is focusing more on lower quality parts, and less on high quality parts. Where are all of the FN hammer forged barrel uppers? It seems like everytime I go to the PSA page there are more and more PTAC, and less PSA stuff.

It seems to me that PSA is lowering its quality standards by offering parts like the PTAC line.
It exists for the same reason dpms does. PSA is an assembler, why not assemble things that appeal to everyone vs. some or most everyone?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Survivalist

Thanked 4,392 Times in 1,527 Posts

It's not DD or BCM so I'm sure its **** just good for range work and plinking.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,653 Times in 2,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPigpen View Post
It's not DD or BCM so I'm sure its **** just good for range work and plinking.
It's made of the cheapest metal that is sensible and the ptac uppers have a reputation starting for 50" groups at 100m, from what I'm starting to see online, at least. It's bargain basement stuff, but PSA will replace those uppers.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Some guy on the internet

Thanked 2,049 Times in 758 Posts

i actually just ordered one of the PTAC upper assemblies and am waiting for it to ship, i had a complete lower sitting around for the last 6 months and figured for $399 it would be good enough for another rifle in the safe.

while it was nothing special all of the specs checked out to be in the good enough category...

4140 heavy barrel w/ Melonite Finish 1:9 twist
.750" Gas Block Diameter
Standard Feedramps
Forged A4 Upper
Midwest Industries SS12G2 Rail

BCG:
Milspec Carpenter No. 158 steel bolt

Shot Peened Bolt

Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)

Chrome Lined Gas Key

Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications

Gas Key Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners

Gas Key Staked Per Mil-Spec

Tool Steel Extractor

Extractor Spring

Black Extractor Insert

Mil-Spec O-Ring

High pressure tested

but you know what they say proof is in the pudding, I'll have to do a review on it once it arrives..... or do you guys think i just flushed some money down the drain?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Prepared

I think you'll be fine. Again, like every AR thread, you have the people who ACTUALLY buy and use this "cheap" no good stuff and then you have the people who need to justify spending an extra $1000 to feel they have a superior firearm. Colts, DD, Noveske all have issues too and there's plenty of PSA's that eat anything. PTAC is a new company that has to go in low to either A) provide an inferior product for people who aren't willing to spend the big bucks or B) get support and prove their product is worth more and eventually up prices while upping quality as far as finish etc, again once it gets a name for itself in the reliability field since reliability>quality finish...Just my .02..

again im sure the colt dd noveske guys will say its garbage and that they run their rifle at the range just like everyone else and don't get any issues and thats where the PTAC should stay, but i say buy it try it and post an actual review of said firearm. When I get back to the range I will give what i find out about the $189 upper i purchased. Durability comes with time so won't be able to speak on that just the initial reliability.

And of course there can always be improvements but at the end of the day the AR i put together on black friday deals cost $428 shipped and has PSA backing it.
As far as keep it for range/plinking, every gun purchased is for that and i wouldn't trust any no matter the name brand without testing for my self. Every gun manufacturer has had issues at one time or another and some of the crappiest have had firearms that ran great for thousands of rounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to DementeD For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Some guy on the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
It's made of the cheapest metal that is sensible and the ptac uppers have a reputation starting for 50" groups at 100m, from what I'm starting to see online, at least. It's bargain basement stuff, but PSA will replace those uppers.
well.....should i pony up the extra cash and get something else, just needs to be mom, minute of man....
Old 01-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Some guy on the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementeD View Post
I think you'll be fine. Again, like every AR thread, you have the people who ACTUALLY buy and use this "cheap" no good stuff and then you have the people who need to justify spending an extra $1000 to feel they have a superior firearm. Colts, DD, Noveske all have issues too and there's plenty of PSA's that eat anything. PTAC is a new company that has to go in low to either A) provide an inferior product for people who aren't willing to spend the big bucks or B) get support and prove their product is worth more and eventually up prices while upping quality as far as finish etc, again once it gets a name for itself in the reliability field since reliability>quality finish...Just my .02..

again im sure the colt dd noveske guys will say its garbage and that they run their rifle at the range just like everyone else and don't get any issues and thats where the PTAC should stay, but i say buy it try it and post an actual review of said firearm. When I get back to the range I will give what i find out about the $189 upper i purchased. Durability comes with time so won't be able to speak on that just the initial reliability.
yeah, i'm hoping this is the case, i have a few other ar's and was basically out of the ar game as i have more than enough at this point, i just wanted to finish off this lower and pick up a few more things in the .308 flavor.....