Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-31-2010, 03:23 PM

Advertise Here

In another forum I participate in, one of the givens for a long term SHTF or a TEOTWAWKI is that the 5 to 10% of the population that uses 80+% of the medical world will die fairly quickly.

The % that are drug dependent like diabetics, people who have to take thyroid meds, etc will linger somewhat but eventually will start dieing off.

The % of us who occasionally need antibiotics etc will suffer extended illnesses and some of us will die off, most will make it back.

In the end - the luckiest (not always the fittest) will be doing the best. Example of a lucky one - A diabetic who has the needed infrastructure and animals and someone who can do it to manufacture insulin like they did in 1925.

An unlucky one - a diabetic 50 miles away who doesn't. Pretty soon dead.

My definition
Long Term SHTF - something like New Madrid and California both having the "big" earthquake. Resulting in thousands dead and huge disruption to the US. Eventually returning to more or less like it was before.

TEOTWAWKI - Stuff happening that will prevent us from getting back to what it was, may be our Great Grand children will but not us.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WolfBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2010, 10:02 PM
great survivalist *****

Default Re: 1-2-3 Home Made Insulin

this is one of the scariest threads i have ever read!! how did this make a sticky? i would have thought this would be deleted so the webmaster couldn't be held accountable if someone tried this and got hurt. medicine should be left to doctors

The Following User Says Thank You to helliott123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helliott123 View Post
this is one of the scariest threads i have ever read!! how did this make a sticky? i would have thought this would be deleted so the webmaster couldn't be held accountable if someone tried this and got hurt. medicine should be left to doctors.
What makes it scary? It is a discussion - generally by diabetics or those with diabetic family members - of how to make insulin when it's not available due to some cataclysmic event.

Are you suggesting we shouldn't discuss or share knowledge about what to do and/or how to do something in a Post Apocalyptic World?

If so, why? Isn't this type of discussion what Emergency Preppers, survivalists, and other weird folks like us do in forums like this?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WolfBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Firmus Ixion

Thanked 2,683 Times in 1,259 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWZ-Ben View Post
In an effort to put this information in one place for discussion I have compiled my research across the web for this post. I will be putting links to credits as needed.

I have not tried this, so please use this as information only as a just in case.

One thing all diabetics face in a SHTF scenario is the eventual lack of meds or maybe the inability to get them, while some will be able to cope via herbal remedies, diet and exersize, some heavily insulin dependent diabetics will be looking as a very gruesome ride.

I am a type 1 diabetic diagnosed at 26, mostly weight and inactivity related (was probably type 2 for a bit) I now rely on insulin (lantis) and (humalog) to maintain a good state of health. While exercise and diet have played a large role in reducing my needs, during sickness and stress sometimes uncontrollable things can happen to your blood sugar.

As you can guess once I became more survival minded (5days in the ICU tends to do that) I saw a need to know that it was at least possible to manufacture on some scale insulin.

Here is what I have found out so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eva_Saxl

This is a link to an old story that I first heard on another forum about a person during world war 2 that manufactured and distrubted insulin using 1920's tech to keep alive a great deal of diabetics during the war.

This was my first sign of hope should I ever or anyone ever need to attempt to make it themselves, they were after all in occupied China. Given the lack of quality of the blackmarket insulin at the time and price 1 gold ounce bar would get you a small supply, but one of her friends had died from this which inspired her husband and herself to learn how to make it.

They managed to collect a book, "Beckman's Internal Medicine" described the methods that Dr. Frederick Banting and Charles Best first used to extract insulin from the pancreases of dogs, calves, and cows in 1921.

From here you can guess that after great trouble they began to successfully produce useable insulin for humans that sustained what is rumored to be more than 2-3000 diabetics.

So it can be done, the part of all this that will be dangerous and hard is the testing of the strength of the insulin. Any diabetic can tell you what happens with to much insulin.

I found this information @ http://medtech.syrene.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3442 by using google

http://www.discoveryofinsulin.com/Experiments.htm

At the end of July, Banting operated on one of the duct tied dogs and found that the ligature had held and that the pancreas had shrunk to about one-third of of its normal size. The gland was removed, chopped up and ground in a mortar with saline, strained and a small amount injected into a vein of a depancreatized or diabetic dog. This animal was observed very carefully and with anxiety, for there was great concern that it may have toxic effects as earlier experimenters had discovered. For a while there seemed to be no change, then later to dog showed improvement. The animal became a much more active and more important the blood sugar levels were significantly reduced demonstrating the soundness of Banting's theory.

Although they were jubilant over the result of this experiment, there was some fear that it may have been as spurious result of no real significance. Consequently they injected the substance into other diabetic dogs with the same dramatic result and now felt confident that they had isolated the anti-diabetic factor from the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas. Banting's theory had been proven, but still diabetes had not been conquered even though the groundwork had been laid and there were still problems to overcome. On Dr. MacLeod’s return from Europe he was impressed, but insisted that the whole procedure be repeated to confirm this truly admirable result. The results, of course, with further experiments were confirmed. MacLeod was convinced and the announcement of discovery was presented in papers through the Physiological Journal Club in Toronto on November 14th , and the American Physiological Society shortly before the end of year in 1921. Many publications followed.

[...]

In the fall of 1922 the extract was still impure and they were experiencing considerable difficulty with deterioration, sensitization, reaction, etc., although Collip had prepared an extract which could be injected into humans and was a great improvement in the purification of the product. Collip also working with rabbits discovered the dangerous effects of too much insulin producing hypoglycemia and the basis for him believe biological assay of insulin. There were still, however, problems to be overcome come the main one of which production of the product in large enough quantities to be useful clinically. Consequently, the third stage of the development of insulin was being approached and methods were found to extract insulin from the adult beef pancreas, for the supply from the tilt calves was certainly much too small and with further work, without going into details which are contained in Stevenson's book on Sir Frederick Banting, it was possible to produce insulin from the adult beef pancreas.

And from Frederick Banting's Nobel Lecture in 1925:

http://www.discoveryofinsulin.com/FGBLecture.htm

Best and Scott who are responsible for the preparation of Insulin in the Insulin Division of the Connaught Laboratories have tested all the available methods and have appropriated certain details from many of these, several new procedures have been found advantageous have been introduced by them. The yield of Insulin obtained by Best and Scott at the Connaught Laboratories, by a preliminary extraction with dilute sulphuric acid followed by alcohol is 1,800 to 2,220 units per kg. of pancreas.

The present method of preparation is as follows. The beef or pork pancreas is finely minced in a larger grinder and the minced material is then treated with 5 c.c. of concentrated sulphuric acid, appropriately diluted, per pound of glands. The mixture is stirred for a period of three or four hours and 95% alcohol is added until the concentration of alcohol is 60% to 70%. Two extractions of the glands are made. The solid material is then partially removed by centrifuging the mixture and the solution is further clarified by filtering through paper. The filtrate is practically neutralized with NaOH. The clear filtrate is concentrated in vacuo to about 1/15 of its original volume. The concentrate is then heated to 50oC which results in the separation of lipoid and other materials, which are removed by filtration. Ammonium sulphate (37 grams. per 100 c.c.) is then added to the concentrate and a protein material containing all the Insulin floats to the top of the liquid. The precipitate is skimmed off and dissolved in hot acid alcohol. When the precipitate has completely dissolved, 10 volumes of warm alcohol are added. The solution is then neutralized with NaOH and cooled to room temperature, and kept in a refrigerator at 5oC for two days. At the end of this time the dark coloured supernatant alcohol is decanted off. The alcohol contains practically no potency. The precipitate is dried in vacuo to remove all trace of the alcohol. It is then dissolved in acid water, in which it is readily soluble. The solution is made alkaline with NaOH to PH 7.3 to 7.5. At this alkalinity a dark coloured precipitate settles out, and is immediately centrifuged off. This precipitate is washed once or twice with alkaline water of PH 9.0 and the washings are added to the main liquid. It is important that this process be carried out fairly quickly as Insulin is destroyed in alkaline solution. The acidity is adjusted to PH 5.0 and a white precipitate readily settles out. Tricresol is added to a concentration of 0.3% in order to assist in the isoelectric precipitation and to act as a preservative. After standing one week in the ice chest the supernatant liquid is decanted off and the resultant liquid is removed by centrifuging. The precipitate is then dissolved in a small quantity of acid water. A second isoelectric precipitation is carried out by adjusting the acidity to a PH of approximately 5.0. After standing over night the resultant precipitate is removed by centrifuging. The precipitate, which contains the active principle in a comparatively pure form, is dissolved in acid water and the hydrogen ion concentration adjusted to PH 2.5. The material is carefully tested to determine the potency and is then diluted to the desired strength of 10, 20, 40 or 80 units per c.c. Tricresol is added to secure a concentration of 0.1 percent. Sufficient sodium chloride is added to make the solution isotonic. The Insulin solution is passed through a Mandler filter. After passing through the filter the Insulin is retested carefully to determine its potency. There is practically no loss in berkefelding. The tested Insulin is poured into sterile glass vials with aseptic precautions and the sterility of the final product thoroughly tested by approved methods.

The method of estimating the potency of Insulin solutions is based on the effect that Insulin produces upon the blood sugar of normal animals. Rabbits serve as the test animal. They are starved for twenty four hours before the administration of Insulin. Their weight should be approximately 2 kg. Insulin is distributed in strengths of 10, 20, 40 and 80 units per c.c. The unit is one third of the amount of material required to lower the blood sugar of a 2 kg. rabbit which has fasted twenty four hours from the normal level (0.118 percent) to 0.045 percent over a period of five hours. In a moderately severe case of diabetes one unit causes about 2.5 grammes of carbohydrate to be utilized. In earlier and milder cases, as a rule, one unit has a greater effect, accounting for three to five grammes of carbohydrate.

My motivation for posting this was a request in another thread especially since as far as I can tell from searching that it has not been written about on this site as of yet.

I hope that I have properly linked to the sources and I hope this provides some hope for those survivalist diabetics out there.

To be honest though this stuff will be a powerful barter item if anything bad were to happen to our supplies. I try to keep 6 months worth of my stuff on hand, but even stretching that to the max my lantis and humalog (which is synthetic) only lasts a year from manufacturing in the specified temps.

I hope this starts some discussion about the thesability of trying to make your own now. While it is completly possible, it is very serious and a dangerous undertaking.

Discuss.
Quote:
this is one of the scariest threads i have ever read!! how did this make a sticky? i would have thought this would be deleted so the webmaster couldn't be held accountable if someone tried this and got hurt. medicine should be left to doctors
I guess you should exercise the disclaimer given, and use your own common sense, it is after all the INTERNET, that being said, this was done twice during world war two and many hundreds of people were saved because of it.

It is meant as a last ditch effort instead of dying from keto acidosis or losing limbs, or death caused by blood glucose levels being off the chart in a shtf scenario. I'm not talking about the power went out for a week, or even a month.

I'm talking about the end to distributed med's, pharmacies, and basically the world. A warzone pretty much qualifies, and its possible for diabetics around the world to find themselves in similar situations.

It is better to know and not need than not know and need in my opinion, and since I am a diabetic I found this to be very informative albeit very dangerous if needed to be used. I would only try this if it were my only hope of living.

Now please, grow up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SWZ-Ben For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,580 Times in 624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBrother View Post
What makes it scary? It is a discussion - generally by diabetics or those with diabetic family members - of how to make insulin when it's not available due to some cataclysmic event.

Are you suggesting we shouldn't discuss or share knowledge about what to do and/or how to do something in a Post Apocalyptic World?

If so, why? Isn't this type of discussion what Emergency Preppers, survivalists, and other weird folks like us do in forums like this?
I agree with you. This is suppose to be a place to share ideas. I don't have a lab built into my house or a chemist on staff but I think that I could get very creative if I had to. I personally appreciate all of the great information. I don't think that anyone on this board would just go make this for day to day use. But I feel better having options available and most of all hope. Should we just lay down and die if the time came or try our best with the information that we have available? I vote for giving it a try. I am not a chemist but I do have several college chemistry classes, a Dr for an Aunt and a chemist for a cousin. I have a dentist as a neighbor and my chemist cousin is married to a veterinarian. Who knows maybe we could pull it off?? But, if not I had rather have felt like I at least tried and didn't just say OH WELL!
So please share all ideas!!! Some of us want to hear it and for those that don't want to hear it just skip it and read another post instead of making them sorry that they shared something. For the person that thinks that people would not stock up on the chemicals to make this product you have obviously not been on this board very long. I have only been on it for about 4 months and these people amaze me. I have never seen a group of people so prepared. I prepare anything and everything I can think of and I can't touch most of these people. They make my head spin. I wouldn't be shocked if several people on this board has alerady ordered the items needed to make it. This is one group of go-getters. Don't think for one second that they wouldn't stock any and all of them if they thought for one second that it could save them or their family.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tannersmommy26 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 04:40 AM
Firmus Ixion

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmommy26 View Post
I agree with you. This is suppose to be a place to share ideas. I don't have a lab built into my house or a chemist on staff but I think that I could get very creative if I had to. I personally appreciate all of the great information. I don't think that anyone on this board would just go make this for day to day use. But I feel better having options available and most of all hope. Should we just lay down and die if the time came or try our best with the information that we have available? I vote for giving it a try. I am not a chemist but I do have several college chemistry classes, a Dr for an Aunt and a chemist for a cousin. I have a dentist as a neighbor and my chemist cousin is married to a veterinarian. Who knows maybe we could pull it off?? But, if not I had rather have felt like I at least tried and didn't just say OH WELL!
So please share all ideas!!! Some of us want to hear it and for those that don't want to hear it just skip it and read another post instead of making them sorry that they shared something. For the person that thinks that people would not stock up on the chemicals to make this product you have obviously not been on this board very long. I have only been on it for about 4 months and these people amaze me. I have never seen a group of people so prepared. I prepare anything and everything I can think of and I can't touch most of these people. They make my head spin. I wouldn't be shocked if several people on this board has alerady ordered the items needed to make it. This is one group of go-getters. Don't think for one second that they wouldn't stock any and all of them if they thought for one second that it could save them or their family.
You have captured the very essence of what I was going for when I made this post before. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2010, 10:24 PM

I am a type 1 diabetic, I have 3 months of insulin and orals for when the SHTF. If it a post apocalyptic world were there is nothing left I also have a 30cc and a 60cc syringe with a 19 gage needle 1.5 inch long. One shot, into the belly, and thats it. That is the decision that I have made. I have been thure the high blood sugar and the ensuing coma that takes days to come out of and in a post apocalyptic world i don't want to linger on being a burden to my family until it is over.

Dr. FrankenMod
Old 07-23-2010, 02:34 PM

If you are getting Humalog (TM) that's only got a year on it you need to talk to your Pharmacist. I've got lispro in my frige that will last until January 2012.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fruitbat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2010, 02:35 PM

Thank you for the information.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fruitbat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2010, 02:40 PM

Default ... and I'll add one more event level to the 2 you outlined...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBrother View Post
In another forum I participate in, one of the givens for a long term SHTF or a TEOTWAWKI is that the 5 to 10% of the population that uses 80+% of the medical world will die fairly quickly.

The % that are drug dependent like diabetics, people who have to take thyroid meds, etc will linger somewhat but eventually will start dieing off.

The % of us who occasionally need antibiotics etc will suffer extended illnesses and some of us will die off, most will make it back.

In the end - the luckiest (not always the fittest) will be doing the best. Example of a lucky one - A diabetic who has the needed infrastructure and animals and someone who can do it to manufacture insulin like they did in 1925.

An unlucky one - a diabetic 50 miles away who doesn't. Pretty soon dead.

My definition
Long Term SHTF - something like New Madrid and California both having the "big" earthquake. Resulting in thousands dead and huge disruption to the US. Eventually returning to more or less like it was before.

TEOTWAWKI - Stuff happening that will prevent us from getting back to what it was, may be our Great Grand children will but not us.
... the "Extinction Level" event... where it aint ever getting back to how it was. I dont care how many heirloom seeds you have in your garden... the sun blotted out for 1,000 years due to volcanoes or a comet or whatever space rock hitting.

Do I think it's likely? Empirically speaking, of course it is not as likely as my own personal SHTF (serious car crash) or a regionalized one (earthquake, katrina) like the levels the author gave...

... but sometimes I think about how as "survivalists" we come up with scenarios that are horrible but just feasibly survivable. I dont blame us though, what fun is it to gameplan for a virus that there is no escape from and attacks everyone? Or a meteroite that ends plant growth on the planet? Not much fun at all!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chicago Man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2010, 03:05 PM
aging

Thanked 12,276 Times in 4,038 Posts

I agree this thread is 'scary' (it's scary because this information could be desperately needed.)

I thought another option would also be good, if we can get the training, or a medical lab vampire, experienced nurse, or even an experienced phlebotomist, into our group.

I am blood type A positive, a very common type, and a regular blood donor. Post SHTF, I don't see being a regular donor any more. But I will continue producing insulin. If we have the means to do this, I could eat a meal, and get cross-connected with a matching person who needs the insulin in my blood. Not perfect, but they get some, and by connecting them to also send blood back to me, I shouldn't even get the post-donation-woozy feeling in my stomach.

Not perfect, and certainly not a TEOTWAWKI solution, but it should at least keep the diabetic in my group functional, maybe even slightly better than just functional (she's the best for sewing, nutritional/allergy info, a backup for first aid and minor injury knowledge, and backup to the lead cook.)
The Following User Says Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Gott Mit Uns

Thanked 1,534 Times in 808 Posts

Quote:
From what?

Seriously?

Most diabetics use insulin made from bovine or beef panc anyway?
Rocumbant DNA from E-coli, that stuff has not been used in years. lots of problems with antibody devolepment. We ain't cows. It is used once in a blue Moon, just like dessicated thyroid. Antibody formation would be even greater, although the least of your worries.
The Following User Says Thank You to jkc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Recent Blog:

Just wondering . . . could human pancreas be used to make insulin?
Old 08-12-2010, 01:56 PM
смерть на дальнем расстоя

Thanked 6,623 Times in 2,457 Posts
Default Oh My !!!

Quote:

Remember that when you are alone and injured after the SHTF. Just keep thinking Doctor, Doctor....

Good luck with that mentality and attitude. Me and mine will do what is needed to stay alive.

This has been a great thread, there are more ways than one when the SHTF.

HH54r
The Following User Says Thank You to Hard Hittin 54r For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,580 Times in 624 Posts
Default 1-2-3 Home Made Insulin

Quote:
via injection after having run tests on rabbits for dosage.

**edit**

I should have not assumed that all diabetics that were preparing for an emergency had a reusable syringe or a stash of disposable.

They sell a .31 guage syringe that breaks down to be sterilized it is made of glass and stainless steel.

Hope this helps someone I figured this would be invaluable, not getting that feeling.
Thanks for the tip and nevermind the idiots that just want to be mean. They obviously don't have a loved one that is diabetic. If you do then you know that it is a huge problem and any ideas that anyone might have is greatly appreciated. They don't unerstand that if something happened as simple as a trucker strike then they might not have the meds that they need. If you are watching your loved one suffer or die then you want something to try!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tannersmommy26 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
In an effort to put this information in one place for discussion I have compiled my research across the web for this post. I will be putting links to credits as needed.

I have not tried this, so please use this as information only as a just in case.

One thing all diabetics face in a SHTF scenario is the eventual lack of meds or maybe the inability to get them, while some will be able to cope via herbal remedies, diet and exersize, some heavily insulin dependent diabetics will be looking as a very gruesome ride.

I am a type 1 diabetic diagnosed at 26, mostly weight and inactivity related (was probably type 2 for a bit) I now rely on insulin (lantis) and (humalog) to maintain a good state of health. While exercise and diet have played a large role in reducing my needs, during sickness and stress sometimes uncontrollable things can happen to your blood sugar.

As you can guess once I became more survival minded (5days in the ICU tends to do that) I saw a need to know that it was at least possible to manufacture on some scale insulin.

Here is what I have found out so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eva_Saxl

This is a link to an old story that I first heard on another forum about a person during world war 2 that manufactured and distrubted insulin using 1920's tech to keep alive a great deal of diabetics during the war.

This was my first sign of hope should I ever or anyone ever need to attempt to make it themselves, they were after all in occupied China. Given the lack of quality of the blackmarket insulin at the time and price 1 gold ounce bar would get you a small supply, but one of her friends had died from this which inspired her husband and herself to learn how to make it.

They managed to collect a book, "Beckman's Internal Medicine" described the methods that Dr. Frederick Banting and Charles Best first used to extract insulin from the pancreases of dogs, calves, and cows in 1921.

From here you can guess that after great trouble they began to successfully produce useable insulin for humans that sustained what is rumored to be more than 2-3000 diabetics.

So it can be done, the part of all this that will be dangerous and hard is the testing of the strength of the insulin. Any diabetic can tell you what happens with to much insulin.

I found this information @ http://medtech.syrene.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3442 by using google

http://www.discoveryofinsulin.com/Experiments.htm

At the end of July, Banting operated on one of the duct tied dogs and found that the ligature had held and that the pancreas had shrunk to about one-third of of its normal size. The gland was removed, chopped up and ground in a mortar with saline, strained and a small amount injected into a vein of a depancreatized or diabetic dog. This animal was observed very carefully and with anxiety, for there was great concern that it may have toxic effects as earlier experimenters had discovered. For a while there seemed to be no change, then later to dog showed improvement. The animal became a much more active and more important the blood sugar levels were significantly reduced demonstrating the soundness of Banting's theory.

Although they were jubilant over the result of this experiment, there was some fear that it may have been as spurious result of no real significance. Consequently they injected the substance into other diabetic dogs with the same dramatic result and now felt confident that they had isolated the anti-diabetic factor from the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas. Banting's theory had been proven, but still diabetes had not been conquered even though the groundwork had been laid and there were still problems to overcome. On Dr. MacLeod’s return from Europe he was impressed, but insisted that the whole procedure be repeated to confirm this truly admirable result. The results, of course, with further experiments were confirmed. MacLeod was convinced and the announcement of discovery was presented in papers through the Physiological Journal Club in Toronto on November 14th , and the American Physiological Society shortly before the end of year in 1921. Many publications followed.

[...]

In the fall of 1922 the extract was still impure and they were experiencing considerable difficulty with deterioration, sensitization, reaction, etc., although Collip had prepared an extract which could be injected into humans and was a great improvement in the purification of the product. Collip also working with rabbits discovered the dangerous effects of too much insulin producing hypoglycemia and the basis for him believe biological assay of insulin. There were still, however, problems to be overcome come the main one of which production of the product in large enough quantities to be useful clinically. Consequently, the third stage of the development of insulin was being approached and methods were found to extract insulin from the adult beef pancreas, for the supply from the tilt calves was certainly much too small and with further work, without going into details which are contained in Stevenson's book on Sir Frederick Banting, it was possible to produce insulin from the adult beef pancreas.

And from Frederick Banting's Nobel Lecture in 1925:

http://www.discoveryofinsulin.com/FGBLecture.htm

Best and Scott who are responsible for the preparation of Insulin in the Insulin Division of the Connaught Laboratories have tested all the available methods and have appropriated certain details from many of these, several new procedures have been found advantageous have been introduced by them. The yield of Insulin obtained by Best and Scott at the Connaught Laboratories, by a preliminary extraction with dilute sulphuric acid followed by alcohol is 1,800 to 2,220 units per kg. of pancreas.

The present method of preparation is as follows. The beef or pork pancreas is finely minced in a larger grinder and the minced material is then treated with 5 c.c. of concentrated sulphuric acid, appropriately diluted, per pound of glands. The mixture is stirred for a period of three or four hours and 95% alcohol is added until the concentration of alcohol is 60% to 70%. Two extractions of the glands are made. The solid material is then partially removed by centrifuging the mixture and the solution is further clarified by filtering through paper. The filtrate is practically neutralized with NaOH. The clear filtrate is concentrated in vacuo to about 1/15 of its original volume. The concentrate is then heated to 50oC which results in the separation of lipoid and other materials, which are removed by filtration. Ammonium sulphate (37 grams. per 100 c.c.) is then added to the concentrate and a protein material containing all the Insulin floats to the top of the liquid. The precipitate is skimmed off and dissolved in hot acid alcohol. When the precipitate has completely dissolved, 10 volumes of warm alcohol are added. The solution is then neutralized with NaOH and cooled to room temperature, and kept in a refrigerator at 5oC for two days. At the end of this time the dark coloured supernatant alcohol is decanted off. The alcohol contains practically no potency. The precipitate is dried in vacuo to remove all trace of the alcohol. It is then dissolved in acid water, in which it is readily soluble. The solution is made alkaline with NaOH to PH 7.3 to 7.5. At this alkalinity a dark coloured precipitate settles out, and is immediately centrifuged off. This precipitate is washed once or twice with alkaline water of PH 9.0 and the washings are added to the main liquid. It is important that this process be carried out fairly quickly as Insulin is destroyed in alkaline solution. The acidity is adjusted to PH 5.0 and a white precipitate readily settles out. Tricresol is added to a concentration of 0.3% in order to assist in the isoelectric precipitation and to act as a preservative. After standing one week in the ice chest the supernatant liquid is decanted off and the resultant liquid is removed by centrifuging. The precipitate is then dissolved in a small quantity of acid water. A second isoelectric precipitation is carried out by adjusting the acidity to a PH of approximately 5.0. After standing over night the resultant precipitate is removed by centrifuging. The precipitate, which contains the active principle in a comparatively pure form, is dissolved in acid water and the hydrogen ion concentration adjusted to PH 2.5. The material is carefully tested to determine the potency and is then diluted to the desired strength of 10, 20, 40 or 80 units per c.c. Tricresol is added to secure a concentration of 0.1 percent. Sufficient sodium chloride is added to make the solution isotonic. The Insulin solution is passed through a Mandler filter. After passing through the filter the Insulin is retested carefully to determine its potency. There is practically no loss in berkefelding. The tested Insulin is poured into sterile glass vials with aseptic precautions and the sterility of the final product thoroughly tested by approved methods.

The method of estimating the potency of Insulin solutions is based on the effect that Insulin produces upon the blood sugar of normal animals. Rabbits serve as the test animal. They are starved for twenty four hours before the administration of Insulin. Their weight should be approximately 2 kg. Insulin is distributed in strengths of 10, 20, 40 and 80 units per c.c. The unit is one third of the amount of material required to lower the blood sugar of a 2 kg. rabbit which has fasted twenty four hours from the normal level (0.118 percent) to 0.045 percent over a period of five hours. In a moderately severe case of diabetes one unit causes about 2.5 grammes of carbohydrate to be utilized. In earlier and milder cases, as a rule, one unit has a greater effect, accounting for three to five grammes of carbohydrate.

My motivation for posting this was a request in another thread especially since as far as I can tell from searching that it has not been written about on this site as of yet.

I hope that I have properly linked to the sources and I hope this provides some hope for those survivalist diabetics out there.

To be honest though this stuff will be a powerful barter item if anything bad were to happen to our supplies. I try to keep 6 months worth of my stuff on hand, but even stretching that to the max my lantis and humalog (which is synthetic) only lasts a year from manufacturing in the specified temps.

I hope this starts some discussion about the thesability of trying to make your own now. While it is completly possible, it is very serious and a dangerous undertaking.

Discuss.
Really a lot of information for diabetes patient. This will also help someone who wants to write a blog on diabetes.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:01 PM

Yams and licorice help regulate the pancreas in the insulin it is producing anyway, if your pancreas is working at all. Valarin as well, Rowan can work but not native to the north american continent.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Firmus Ixion

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

I have noticed that Biotin, Cinnamon, Fish Oil all make a difference with my metabolism. While these can help they can not replace what you do not make. You need insulin in order to allow glucose into the cells for them to have fuel to burn as energy.
The Following User Says Thank You to SWZ-Ben For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2010, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the post Ben!

I don't know what some of these people's problem are, I guess they don't realize it's either crap insulin or die. It's pretty simple really. I know I'm new here, but for a survivalist site a lot of you seem ready to die if put in this same situation. So I gotta ask, what are you doing here?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corps For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,635 Times in 1,442 Posts

I am posing on this thread to bring it back up as there is a need for more study. In my opinion type 1 diabetics will need to seek out chemists who could do this work. Maybe someone who is already doing it. Kingfish