Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Manmade and Natural Disasters
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 10:49 AM
fen fen is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 335
Thanks: 504
Thanked 644 Times in 222 Posts
Default Propane Shortage in Wisconsin?



Advertise Here

I use very little propane but my mother heats her house, her hot water, her clothes drier, and her stove with propane. Since my brothers, sisters and I take turns paying for her propane, I called last Friday to have her 500 gallon tank filled. No one came and so yesterday I called again to see if they had not written mom's stop down. They told us that they were on strict rations and that mom would get her propane rations of 150 gallons today.

Since I fill up around once every 18 months and I filled up in August (I'd rather pay summer rates) I had no idea there was a shortage of propane. I guess there are 9 pipeline into Wisconsin and only 3 of them are in working order this year, and that Scott Walker had to declare it an emergency back in October. This is what I was told anyway. 150 gallons will take mom for about a month. I'm worried she'll have to move in with one of us kids (hopefully not me) if this doesn't get fixed and since it's been going on for 2 months I'm wondering if it will get fixed any time soon.

Does anyone else have any information on this or is anyone else having to ration their heat source just as the coldest time of the year hits? I am so glad that I heat with wood and heat my hot water with solar. It might be time for my to finally wean myself off the propane tit all together.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2013, 11:26 AM
concernedcitizen concernedcitizen is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: in the ACC area
Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 283
Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,093 Posts
Default

Was interested in the issue, so went searching. I was able to locate many sources of information and will refer to two sources/articles below:

(a) As you mentioned there are only 3 working lines - http://wtaq.com/news/articles/2013/o...-for-truckers/

(b) Midwest Could See Propane Shortage During Harvest
USAgNet - 10/29/2013 - Which explains that what they said might happen did happen and caused/contributed to the shortage - http://www.wisconsinagconnection.com...d=2455&yr=2013

Hopefully your mom can get by during the shortage by reducing her consumption levels but still being able to heat her home.
The Following User Says Thank You to concernedcitizen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2013, 01:30 PM
fen fen is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 335
Thanks: 504
Thanked 644 Times in 222 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedcitizen View Post
Was interested in the issue, so went searching. I was able to locate many sources of information and will refer to two sources/articles below:

(a) As you mentioned there are only 3 working lines - http://wtaq.com/news/articles/2013/o...-for-truckers/

(b) Midwest Could See Propane Shortage During Harvest
USAgNet - 10/29/2013 - Which explains that what they said might happen did happen and caused/contributed to the shortage - http://www.wisconsinagconnection.com...d=2455&yr=2013

Hopefully your mom can get by during the shortage by reducing her consumption levels but still being able to heat her home.
I already told her she could do her laundry here and I've talked with my brothers and sisters about switching nights to take her hot meals so she doesn't need to cook as much. Mom is not really big on the whole "prepare today for a shortage tomorrow" way of thinking. She figures the shortage is temporary and will be fixed by the time she needs propane. It'll be up to her kids to try to keep her consumption down. Love her, but the more we ask her to be ready, the harder she digs in to not be ready. We kids took after dad.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:54 PM
concernedcitizen concernedcitizen is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: in the ACC area
Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 283
Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,093 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fen View Post
I already told her she could do her laundry here and I've talked with my brothers and sisters about switching nights to take her hot meals so she doesn't need to cook as much. Mom is not really big on the whole "prepare today for a shortage tomorrow" way of thinking. She figures the shortage is temporary and will be fixed by the time she needs propane. It'll be up to her kids to try to keep her consumption down. Love her, but the more we ask her to be ready, the harder she digs in to not be ready. We kids took after dad.
She is lucky to have you [all] to look after her, care for her and love her.
The Following User Says Thank You to concernedcitizen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Nomad, 2nd Nomad, 2nd is online now
Recent Blog:
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gulf coast and/or Nomadically
Posts: 9,972
Thanks: 4,337
Thanked 14,855 Times in 5,342 Posts
Default

Good reminder to never rely on one source.

By next year I should have my place set up (under construction) for wood and propane. With the ability to use ever or.
(plan is to use the gas for cooking and "quick heat" with the wood for heating all day/while I'm there.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Vectorwoman's Avatar
Vectorwoman Vectorwoman is offline
One of YHVH's sheep
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 13,996
Thanks: 26,136
Thanked 21,767 Times in 8,608 Posts
Default

I live in Wisconsin. I had not heard about this but, our usual propane provider sold his company and the price of propane has sky rocketed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vectorwoman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2013, 08:33 PM
fen fen is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 335
Thanks: 504
Thanked 644 Times in 222 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorwoman View Post
I live in Wisconsin. I had not heard about this but, our usual propane provider sold his company and the price of propane has sky rocketed.
I hadn't heard about it before now either. I was kind of asking because I was hoping that mom's provider was telling me a bit of bs. Looking at different links though it seems like others are having some problems too.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Vectorwoman's Avatar
Vectorwoman Vectorwoman is offline
One of YHVH's sheep
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 13,996
Thanks: 26,136
Thanked 21,767 Times in 8,608 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fen View Post
I hadn't heard about it before now either. I was kind of asking because I was hoping that mom's provider was telling me a bit of bs. Looking at different links though it seems like others are having some problems too.
Our propane cost doubled this year. We are going to look around and compare prices.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vectorwoman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2013, 12:38 PM
McLovin's Avatar
McLovin McLovin is offline
Organ Donor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 892 Momona St, Honolulu, HI
Posts: 675
Thanks: 212
Thanked 1,038 Times in 326 Posts
Default

I am in WV and heat with propane. I was going to wait until after xmass to call to get my tank topped off. Because of this thread I am going to call Monday just in case there are any issues.


McLOVIN
Old 12-21-2013, 01:40 PM
deep woods deep woods is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,330
Thanks: 4,330
Thanked 5,652 Times in 2,013 Posts
Default

I am also in Wisconsin and had a tank topped off and thought it was strange that the price rose in the early fall. Never heard about a shortage, must been a quiet emergency.
The Following User Says Thank You to deep woods For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2013, 10:30 PM
powderandprimers powderandprimers is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 104
Thanks: 1,824
Thanked 151 Times in 55 Posts
Default

The farmers used a lot of propane drying grains at harvest time. That along with the major pipeline being reversed into Canada leaves us short. They are sending something to Canada with the pipeline that used to bring us propane. Can't remember what exactly. Heard about all of this in the fall and it was enough to motivate me to put a good wood stove in for heat instead of relying on propane. Glad I did it now reading about all the problems and price increases!
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camp Stoves: Propane Vs Propane Butane Mix BooneWaxwell Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 09-23-2013 12:52 AM
Monster propane tanks and the propane tank graveyard. (Pictures) Rockyriver General Discussion 8 08-24-2013 11:11 PM
The next ammo/firearms shortage-GUN, AMMO BAN & SHORTAGE THREADS MERGED HERE thelaststand Firearms General Discussion 2217 02-10-2013 10:44 PM
Bee Shortage! UN reports of serious bee shortage globally, which will affect crops! survive Manmade and Natural Disasters 34 03-26-2011 01:44 AM
Oil Shortage? Bizarro Controversial News and Alternative Politics 4 03-27-2009 06:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net