Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 12-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Dumpster Diver

Thanked 4,074 Times in 1,542 Posts
Default opsec .22 ammo .long term storage

Advertise Here

Federal has come out with a sealed nitrogen packed can of 325 22 shells

it looks like any other can,, and has a pull tab on lid to open

It dawned on me that by taking a paper label off another can and putting it over the painted on label,, you could put the can in your food stores can stack and it would likely go unnoticed

when they come to take our guns & ammo,, it may escape confiscation

but of course people would be stealing food in SHTF,,
so it may be wise to use a label from a can of something pillaging Zombies do not like much...cat food or string beans perhaps.. LOL

not badly priced either,, $20 for 325 is about 1/2 what my gun shop is getting for boxes of 375 shells
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McGuyversurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 11:26 AM
My Dixie Wrecked

Thanked 17,176 Times in 4,812 Posts

I'd say you just gave up your "opsec"

Dude.......you gotta know the NSA is watching.....
Old 12-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Metaphysical Nihilist

Thanked 6,424 Times in 1,903 Posts

Use a canned fruitcake label, everyone knows those things are not edible. Neat ammo, CTD has them for $119 for a can of 325....seems reasonable
The Following User Says Thank You to Wild 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Thread Killer

Thanked 6,631 Times in 2,279 Posts

CTD can suck it
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to tomboyy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 11:52 AM
THE BAD GUY

Thanked 1,874 Times in 888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuyversurvivor View Post
Federal has come out with a sealed nitrogen packed can of 325 22 shells

it looks like any other can,, and has a pull tab on lid to open

It dawned on me that by taking a paper label off another can and putting it over the painted on label,, you could put the can in your food stores can stack and it would likely go unnoticed

but of course people would be stealing food in SHTF,,
so it may be wise to use a label from a can of something pillaging Zombies do not like much...cat food or string beans perhaps.. LOL

not badly priced either,, $20 for 325 is about 1/2 what my gun shop is getting for boxes of 375 shells
When they come to take our ammo and guns??? Cone on man that's not going to happen. That thinking is feeding the frenzy and that's one reason why some ammo is harder to find and costs you more when you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild 1 View Post
Use a canned fruitcake label, everyone knows those things are not edible. Neat ammo, CTD has them for $119 for a can of 325....seems reasonable
119.00 for 325 .22 lr is nuts,I would rather but a 100.00 steak dinner and the rest for a tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboyy View Post
CTD can suck it
No doubt and all day.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Operator6 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,317 Times in 3,901 Posts

don't see any purpose in the nitrogen packed ammo .... just protect the ammo against moisture with desiccant packs .... if you are looking for an OPSEC packing option .... a new paint can with an applied label off an old can .... splash a little paint and place it on your hardware storage shelf ...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 10,888 Times in 3,356 Posts

I just store ammunition in steel military surplus ammunition cans. It's reasonably sealed against moisture, and nearly airtight. It will last in there at least for the rest of my lifetime, and probably my kid's lifetimes as well - and moreover its fairly portable: so long as you can lift and transport military ammo cans.

I'm not seeing why anyone would pay more money for .22 that is supposedly stored in nitrogen, unless they're putting it away for their grandkids or perhaps 4 or 5 generations down the line. I suspect that if you plan on shooting the stuff up in your lifetime, just storing it in ammo cans will likely allow you to purchase less expensive .22 ammo.

But I could be missing something...
Old 12-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,087 Times in 969 Posts

But then if you can buy it for half the price of ammo in a box, why not?

Paint can!!! Great idea. Has anyone priced ammo cans lately? I semi clean most of my empty cans, so they already have labels and paint splashes. And, about the right size and handles. Course if anybody moved them the ruse would be obvious. I really don't think we'll ever see ammo inspections, but thieves are something else.

That is such a good idea I think I'm gonna go empty the bullets I have in ammo cans and put it in paint cans right now. I have other uses for those expensive ammo cans and they are a dead give away there is something good inside.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Marine Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius View Post
I just store ammunition in steel military surplus ammunition cans. It's reasonably sealed against moisture, and nearly airtight. It will last in there at least for the rest of my lifetime, and probably my kid's lifetimes as well - and moreover its fairly portable: so long as you can lift and transport military ammo cans.

I'm not seeing why anyone would pay more money for .22 that is supposedly stored in nitrogen, unless they're putting it away for their grandkids or perhaps 4 or 5 generations down the line. I suspect that if you plan on shooting the stuff up in your lifetime, just storing it in ammo cans will likely allow you to purchase less expensive .22 ammo.

But I could be missing something...
You are missing something. The OP is worried that the government is coming to confiscate his guns and ammo. That's why he want's to buy his .22lr ammo in sealed cans. He thinks he can disguise them and hide them with his food. He pretty much made that clear in his post.

But here's the thing..., the government isn't coming for our guns and ammo. At least not for .22's. I'd be more worried about locals thieves with a knack for breaking and entering.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corndog_The_Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2013, 10:29 PM
☆҉Onthe road to Shambala

Thanked 14,830 Times in 3,165 Posts

I think its a clever idea. If I still needed .22LR, I'd buy some.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:13 PM

Not a bad idea for a cache or something like that. The more layers of protection you have lessens the chance that it sustains damage
Old 12-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Prepared

Quote:

When they come to take my guns and ammo I plan on giving everything I have left.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Thread Killer

Thanked 6,631 Times in 2,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaXXas View Post
When they come to take my guns and ammo I plan on giving everything I have left.
You have 3 choices

1. give it to them

2. don't give it to them and die

3. Plan ahead and live to fight a battle you can win
Old 12-16-2013, 03:59 AM
Dumpster Diver

some of you guys are flippin amazing,, or perhaps just obtuse... the post was largely satirical ...c'mon ...ZOmbies who don't eat string beans ? Was that not a blatant tip off ? I might need to employ a little more hold over next time

and one quotes me showing my full original post plainly saying $20 for 325 shells,, (Price obtained by me from a 1/2 page ad by Federal itself...) gets confused with info by another responder who stated some ripoff outfit I never heard of is charging $119 for 325 (amazingly that poster seemed to think that was a good price, or was that satire too,, if so , ya outdid me) andyway, so this guy says it is absurd to pay so much more for nitrogen packed .22s ,
when I clearly said, obvious , or so I thought , to the most casual of readers,, that the $20 for 325 was about 1/2 the price mh LGS gets for a box of 375. Yet another responder clearly understood that and repeated as I had said,, nitrogen or not, the ammo was 1/2 price...

At least 2 people derived that I fear the Gov't taking our guns & ammo,,, when I actually wrote the ambiguous "they" which could mean the kid burglars someone else mentioned,, or the Zombies I mentioned in the next line,,.. and anyway , as said, the whole oost was intended 1. to inform of these low cost, handily packed shells, and 2 to have some fun satirizing the paranoids in this prepper world..,,

Now having said I am not concerned with Gov't confiscation,,, *certainly not of my stuff,,LOL.. as a NYS Peace Officer I am Exempt from the NYSAFE act and a lot of other restrictions , other than Federal.. In fact,, I may be the guy coming after YOOO000ooooooooooooo........ (just kiddin,, not one of my duties,,, but it would be wise to cover your meth lab gear if I stop by for a beer .....hehheh )

but on the other hand, yes,, to whoever that was so uniformed or perhaps just parochial in purview as to say the gob't will not confiscate,,, wake up , the coffee is already burning kid...,,, confiscation has already begun, ,,, ask any New Yorker if he will have his 30 round mags 29 days from now.....
registration has begun,, any semi with a detachable mag and any ONE of a number of common features,, muzzle brake, pistol grip, thumbhole stock,, etc etc etc Must be registered by Jan 14,,, no one can sell anyone else a firearm privately,, not even your cousin,, without a background check and so on,, so mags over 10 are gone,, you cannot have them and the registration is de facto confiscation of a lot of firearms,,,
Old 12-16-2013, 04:18 AM
Dumpster Diver

OK, ya wanna get real serious about OP Sec clandestine ammo storage ?

here is a crappy little secret I do not usually share

what you do is get a 5 gallon snap lid bucket,,, and you place your cartridges in a sealed mylar bag with all th siica gel packs you can scrounge from your Grandmothers meds

Place the bag in the buckets bottom l,,

now ask the old lady next door ,, the one with the 32 cats... if you can help her clean up a bit in case the nosy PETA and Humane society people come over again to arrest her ,,

Gather all the soiled cat litter she has ,

pour that into the buckets atop the ammo...

when the ATF inspectors come with their backup squad of DHS goons ..to search,, they will pop one lid off the first bucket and the search will end right then and there
The Following User Says Thank You to McGuyversurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 08:05 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
CTD can suck it
Can't believe they advertise on this site, I have NEVER seen a positive post when it come to CTD.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,139 Times in 382 Posts

Well it USE to be a good place to buy gear at a reasonable price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Don H For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,263 Times in 33,010 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
some of you guys are flippin amazing,, or perhaps just obtuse... the post was largely satirical ...c'mon ...ZOmbies who don't eat string beans ? Was that not a blatant tip off ? I might need to employ a little more hold over next time
Really? Is it us, or is it you? Whenever an attempt at humor in a text based forum fails, it's rarely the fault of the readers. The blame lies with the presenter for attempting it. Subtle humor does not translate well into text. Yet even though we've all seen it a thousand times, someone will always try it again, then blame others for not getting it. About the only humor that works reliably in a text based forum is the obvious kind, generally of the "have you heard the one about..." variety, and such.

BTW, zombies is a term that we use to describe the desperate unprepared hoards, so yeah, they'd be extremely interested in a can of string beans, or anything else they thought might be edible or useful.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,418 Times in 6,076 Posts

what's the difference between fantasy zombies and sheeple zombies?

the fantasy zombies are smart enough to know they need brains
Old 12-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Prepared

Quote:
You have 3 choices

1. give it to them

2. don't give it to them and die

3. Plan ahead and live to fight a battle you can win

I plan on giving it to them!