Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 06-11-2011, 04:15 PM
I hold the high ground

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by z man View Post
I realy want to do this if some one would can tell me where I can get a conversion kit that takes detachable ak-47 magazins that would be great [lets stay on subject here].
The easiest way to do the conversion is to sell your current SKS and buy a model "M or D". Or sell it and get an AK.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:02 PM

Way back in the 80's I bought my first SKS for 79 bucks. Wish I had bought a dozen. There was a company named Cobray, not sure if they are still in existence. They sold a kit to convert to 30 round detachable mags. The mags are made of Zytel plastic. The kit included a fixed front tang that required you to drill and tap one hole in the receiver. That allowed these mags to not need the big ugly herkin lip at the front like most you see and the design allowed the bolt hold back to still work.

I think the kit cost me 29 bucks. It came with 2 mags, it works like a champ and I have since aquired one extra mag, either from someone here or someone at AR-15.com, I don't remember.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alim Nassor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Boolit Master

Thanked 1,005 Times in 552 Posts

The SKS M & D rifles although imported from China were not a Chinese design,the process for converting the standard SKS to accept AK mag was developed by Midwest Ordinance in Royal Oak, Michigan they showed the Chinese how to do the conversion and now we have the SKS M & D rifles. They even have a manuals if you want to do the conversion yourself if your so mechanically inclined to do so.

See Post #20 http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/sks-t...onversion.html

There is a company that offers a mag adapter that mounts to the rifle you then modify the Tapco mag by removing the duckbill portion for easier magazine instillation.
http://www.thesksmagadapter.com/index.html

If you like the duckbill part of the mag and want a mag pouch to carry them,this pouch will hold 4 20 rd. Tapco mag no problem.
http://www.marsgear.com/MOLLE_Dump_P.../po-modump.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to res45 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2011, 08:46 PM

Hey guys, I just picked up an SKS converted for ak magazines and it took all the ak mags we put into it and cycled perfectly. No special magazines were required for it to function. The job was performed by a well know gunsmith and all the magazines go into the rifle just like they would an ak-47.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:34 PM

Default Oh yea

I have an Yugo SKS that i purchased at a pawn shop that was NEW NEVER FIRED for $600. Made a "few mods" to it that i feel make it a perfect firearm. Started out with a tapco dark earth telescoping stock and added the detachable magazines, one plastic tapco and three aluminium.
I was having jamming problems with the rounds getting caught between the bolt and chamber entrance. With a little research i came across a solution called "8 and 4",easily done with a dremel. After that WOW talk about GREAT! It is not only awesome looking but fun to shoot! And ACCURATE! I am getting 3" groupings at a quarter of a block with a red dot! I was impressed!
Wish i could figure out how to post a pic!
I now have accidentally acquired a Mosin Nagant that i am looking to "sporterize" next. Am liking the Center Balance platform for it, looks right up my alley!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:36 PM

Default SKS pic

can't figure out pic
Old 08-25-2013, 04:51 PM
III%

Thanked 27,930 Times in 3,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayliterun View Post
I have an sks-M I bought years ago...was $99...wish I'd bought 10. It is the only model DESIGNED to take an ak-47 magazine.
SKS-D was also built to accept AK mags. Just an FYI.......