Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Communications
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,392 Times in 620 Posts
Post Icom ic-7200

Advertise Here

I just upgraded to this sweet rig since it is on sale at HRO anr comes with a free extra year of warranty.

I am upgrading from a yaesu ft-857d, and I think it is a good step up in receiver performance.

I have both radios set up with a coax switch so I can compare receiver performance, and so far the most apparent difference is the quality of the audio on ssb when using a wide filter. The 7200 sounds deeper and richer. Also, due to the IF DSP in the 7200, the noise reduction is much more useful. It does give speech a muffled quality at settings above 5, but I have fou d that when you use a mid to narrow filter ~2.4-2khz, it becomes more legible.

Being able to vary your filter bandwidth is very useful and makes for a more pleasant user experience.

The manual notch filter is also a great and effective feature. It can be set tonarrow, mid, and wide, which improves its usefulness further.

Unfortunately I have not been able to ascertain how the transmit audio is. The only time I have available for ham radio is about an hour before falling asleep, and the couple of times I tried calling CQ, nobody answered.

The controls are much easier than the 857 as there are a lot more buttons and knobs, and the menus and stacked button functions are intuitive.

The physical build is excellend, and very rugged. It has a rear bumper to protect the connectors from impact, and front handles are sold separately that double as protection for the front face plate and controls. Furthermore, all electronics are contained in enclosed compartments sealed with gaskets, and the front controls are splash-proof. While this does not make the radio water-proof, it does mean that if you spill a drink on it, or if it starts raining while you are operating portable, you won't ruin your radio.

I do not own HRD, but the radio has a usb port which allows you to run digital modes and control your radio through HRD.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mosinka For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 09:46 PM

Congratulations...Nice choice of HF radios. I just ordered the same radio with the olive drab green paint scheme myself.

http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7200/images/camo/lvod.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to Altered Ego For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 10:34 AM
This is a great survival forum

I wouldn't run two radios on the same antenna with a coax switch.

If you can radiate 100 watts into a dipole antenna and be heard 1000's of miles away, what is to stop some of that power from radiating from one contact on the switch to the other - less then 1 inch away?

I wouldn't own a Icom ic-7200 just because it says ICOM on it!
Its basically just a portable rig that doesn't do anything especially well.
Icom screwed a lot of people with the 746 Pro - when they knew they had a problem with the display and refused to stand behind their warranty and recall them and fix them properly. Or at least tell the owners what was wrong and how to remedy it.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Hunter

I didn't buy this radio because "it says icom on it" any more than I bought the Yaesu 857d because "it says Yaesu on it". I carefully considered what functions and features I needed in a radio.

I chose the 857 because of its size, price range, and coverage of every band from 160m to 70cm (except 1.25m).

I chose the 7200 because of its price, IF DSP, adjustable filter bandwidths on ssb from 3.6khz down to 800hz, IF notch outside the agc loop, useful noise reduction, a tighter roofing filter (6khz) than anything else in its price range,onboard soundcard and USB interface for computer control and digital modes... and overall receiver semsitivity.

What other radio has those features for less than a grand?

The water intrusion protection and tough build are a bonus.

Last edited by Mosinka; 12-06-2013 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 12-06-2013, 11:58 AM
just your average nobody

the 7200 is a great radio, I think you will do well with it.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Hunter

Thanks, I have been enjoying it for listening before I fall asleep, and hopefully saturday I will have some time during the day to make some contacts and establish what mic gain and compressor settings are optimal for transmitting voice.

I wanted to try computer control as well as some digital modes, but I can't get the freetrial of HRD to connect to their server and send me an activation code... I sent them an email, but no reply so far.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:55 PM
just your average nobody

you can still download the free version of HRD you know. I think the last free version was 5.24. There is a thread on EHam about it if you can't find the URL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dill For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Hiker

the 7200 fits my particular set of needs and wants very well. I use it as my primary HF machine. It plays rather nicely with FLDigi and RH Fedora using the integrated sound card interface, which is a big plus in my shack.

I couldn't agree more with OPs comments about the IF DSP filter. Coming from a radio that had AF DSP I was quite impressed by the performance improvement. OTOH, to the person that disparaged the radio because of the line of manufacture, I found nothing agreeable among your remarks. Then again, I don't have strong brand loyalty to any company unless I'm invested and so I've nothing against a great little radio at an attractive price point like the IC 7200, even if its made by ICOM. YMMV.
The Following User Says Thank You to moga For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillio187 View Post
you can still download the free version of HRD you know. I think the last free version was 5.24. There is a thread on EHam about it if you can't find the URL.
Nope, did not know that. I will have to find it.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:56 AM
just your average nobody

if you can't find the URL there, a simple google search for Ham Radio Deluxe 5.24 would work too. Enjoy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dill For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Elusive

I've had my IC-7200 for a couple of years now, and I find that it performs very well. I do use it on digital modes and have used it with HRD, though I prefer to manually use the various knobs and buttons.... I guess I'm old school. The IC-7200 is used as my primary base station, and replaced an Icom IC-706MkIIG, which has become my mobile radio, with another 706 as my back-up base. The 7200 is priced reasonably and it meets all my needs in a portable package. I find the receiver in the 7200 to be much more sensitive than the one in the 706, and the filtering is superb. The ruggedness of the radio would make it an excellent choice for portable operation in a SHTF event. I'm considering purchasing another one and storing it in an EMP resistant enclosure. ICOM really made an effort to produce a radio suitable for EMCOMM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackalope For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 05:15 PM
VIP Member

Congrats on your new IC-7200.

I got back into Ham Radio last year after a more than 40 year hiatus. Everything had changed since I was first licensed back in the late 60's.

I was looking for a relatively inexpensive, easy to use, entry level HF rig. I chose the IC-7200.

To make a long story short, I love it. It is certainly not the be-all-end-all of HF rigs but it is an excellent rig for the money. It suits my present situation very nicely.

I have had the opportunity to use some similarly priced units from other manufacturers through our local club, and I like my 7200 better than anything else I have used so far in that price range.

I also like the fact that it is relatively light weight, so I can pick it up, put it in the truck, and easily move it to another location without killing myself.

The receiver section is great. I am getting better signal reports since I replaced the included handheld mic with the desktop SM-50 microphone.

There are other more advanced (more $$$) rigs that I might like to own someday, but right now my IC-7200 is more than adequate.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

BTW, they are very rugged and I have not had a single problem or glitch with mine in the 18 months that I have been using it.

- Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to jose For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2013, 03:28 AM
Hunter

Today I stopped by the surplus store, and wouldn't you know it they had night vision monocle cans. Like a 50 cal ammo can, but deeper and foam-lined. Fits the 857, and 2 7.2amp hour batteries. Water-proof, shock-proof, and theoretically EMP proof.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:04 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
Congrats on your new IC-7200.

I got back into Ham Radio last year after a more than 40 year hiatus. Everything had changed since I was first licensed back in the late 60's.

I was looking for a relatively inexpensive, easy to use, entry level HF rig. I chose the IC-7200.

To make a long story short, I love it. It is certainly not the be-all-end-all of HF rigs but it is an excellent rig for the money. It suits my present situation very nicely.

I have had the opportunity to use some similarly priced units from other manufacturers through our local club, and I like my 7200 better than anything else I have used so far in that price range.

I also like the fact that it is relatively light weight, so I can pick it up, put it in the truck, and easily move it to another location without killing myself.

The receiver section is great. I am getting better signal reports since I replaced the included handheld mic with the desktop SM-50 microphone.

There are other more advanced There $$$) rigs that I might like to own someday, but right now my IC-7200 is more than adequate.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

BTW, they are very rugged and I have not had a single problem or glitch with mine in the 18 months that I have been using it.

- Joe
Thank you Joe!

The Chinese microphone supplied with the radio seems to be the only weak point. Although as you described, it can be remedied.

I also wish it were possible to vary the transmit bandwidth, but from what I understand, the single bandwidth made FCC certification easier. A shame since all it would take is a change in firmware...

Still, a heck of an HF radio for the money!

I finally made a QSO through it. I cought special event station W7ORC as he came on 75m and started calling CQ. unfortunately, I don't have a full size antenna on 75m. Only an MP1 portable vertical. I was an S9 up in Washington with an S9 noise background . I was not able to get any feedback about the quality of my signal.