Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 11-17-2013, 08:33 AM

Default Off Grid Alaska Question

Advertise Here

I'm a big fan of the glut of Alaska shows on TV. I can't help but have one question and thats how these people who live out in the middle of no where pay for the goods they buy?? I was just watching a new show called Railroad Alaska and two different people living only where the railroad gets to would go to the tracks and got either propane gas or fuel from the railroad.....how do they pay for it???....they also have solar panels, generators, snow mobiles ect....and they live there year round....wheres the money come from?? plus the stuff they buy has to be expensive....how are they doing it??
Old 11-17-2013, 08:36 AM
That's MR Troll to you

Thanked 1,461 Times in 567 Posts

Alaska Dividend, furs, mineral rights to land, the list can be endless.
The Following User Says Thank You to Krazy K For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2013, 08:55 AM

Yeah I knew they got the dividend but I thought it was less than $ 2000.00 a year per person. That can't go very far with the price of fuel up there...... I just see all these different items they have like solar panels....they're not cheap at all and I imagine they are more costly up there......On life below zero the one couple lives out in the middle of nowhere and the guy has bulldozers, backhoes, a saw mill and huge solar panel banks.....all that stuff costs some serious money....just curious
Old 11-17-2013, 09:08 AM
dumb farm boy

i've wondered this as well. everything in alaska is 3-5x the cost down south. how do they pay for this? barter only goes so far. someone has to be paid somewhere with CASH/gold
Old 11-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Recent Blog:
Forester

Thanked 2,068 Times in 1,031 Posts

Many take part-time seasonal jobs in the summer that the shows don't talk about. Fishing and tourist related jobs are popular. Many subsistence Alaskans trap in winter for cash.

I like to go to Alaska in the fall, which starts in late August. The common discussion in the Interior is " my job is over for the year, now I need to get the wood cut and down a moose."
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ppine For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2013, 11:54 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 9,635 Times in 3,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Many take part-time seasonal jobs in the summer that the shows don't talk about. Fishing and tourist related jobs are popular. Many subsistence Alaskans trap in winter for cash.

I like to go to Alaska in the fall, which starts in late August. The common discussion in the Inerior is " my job is over for the year, now I need to get the wood cut and down a moose."
Off grid living anywhere means making the most out of everyday.If you don't want to work you do not want to live off grid anywhere.

now compound this by Alaska short grow season/long winter/hard winter weather patterns and you see that only the ones who want to live there with a " I will do what it takes" mental outlook do live there
Old 11-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Just the facts, Ma'am.

Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,172 Posts

Hopefully those folks make a fair bit off of, Buying Alaska, Alaska Railroad, Alaska: The Last Frontier, Below Zero, and the other shows that abound. If they aren't being paid for that, they need to renegotiate their contracts!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Simonson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2013, 06:51 PM

in one of the episodes, they stated that the husband and wife team from eagle alaska run a dog sled guide services to generate income.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suburbian For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2013, 07:28 PM
I'm friendly, maybe

Thanked 10,418 Times in 4,581 Posts

Like some say, trapping, furs, bartering, selling stuff and gold prospecting. There is still a lot of raw gold to be found in Alaska.
I have a group for those of us who like to prospect or mine for gold. Whether it be the person who just prospects with a pan, uses a metal detector or the person who has a giant trommel. Everyone's Welcome!
www.survivalistboards.com/group.php?groupid=370
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2013, 12:23 AM
Rather be outside than in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Hard View Post
Yeah I knew they got the dividend but I thought it was less than $ 2000.00 a year per person. That can't go very far with the price of fuel up there...... I just see all these different items they have like solar panels....they're not cheap at all and I imagine they are more costly up there......On life below zero the one couple lives out in the middle of nowhere and the guy has bulldozers, backhoes, a saw mill and huge solar panel banks.....all that stuff costs some serious money....just curious
Well first of all the dividend changes from year to year, this one was 900 per person and the one before that was less than that. Alaska is a intresting place, yes there things that cost more than the lower 48 but other things are the same. Bartering is a huge part of life just like anywhere that doesn't have tons of money. You aren't realizing that a lot of that stuff they had for a long time, none of it is brand new. Lastly if they are on a TV show they help with some of those costs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kantill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2013, 03:25 AM

Thanks all for the input......still amazed at what some of these people living in the middle of nowhere have despite seasonal work......they must be doing good on these TV shows plus they don't have to deal with electric, sewage, water bills and taxes like we do....I heard that they get paid good from the networks.....I heard that on average the cast of gold rush each get 80,000 and the big names get even more.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,350 Times in 576 Posts

Found where the Hoffman's each get $500K per season and all members got a $100K bonus at the end of last season. No wonder they don't get bent out of shape not find a lot of gold. Seems like the Kilcher's have quite a bit of money (Atz with a net worth of $5M).
The Following User Says Thank You to STEEPOE For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Winter is coming.....

Thanked 9,688 Times in 2,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEPOE View Post
Found where the Hoffman's each get $500K per season and all members got a $100K bonus at the end of last season. No wonder they don't get bent out of shape not find a lot of gold. Seems like the Kilcher's have quite a bit of money (Atz with a net worth of $5M).
His Daughter has done well also, you might know her as the singer "Jewell", she's married to Ty Murruy the famous rodeo cowboy. The theme song for the show is sung by Atz and Jewell also.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Baal Sheeple

Thanked 13,486 Times in 5,170 Posts

The TV reality shows gild the Lilly when it comes to reality. You can easily see that on Gold Rush when they are running equipment that costs well over a million dollars and not making a million gold per mining season. Or the Kilchers that need meat (they have a cow herd, chickens, turkeys for gosh sakes) so much that they spend 100's of dollars of gas on expensive boats, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles to achieve a few dollars worth of food hunting. Yukon men is a bit more believable with its larger group of residents from Tanana although there is a lot of monkey business to garner drama.

Real sustenance living requires a fair amount of built up equipment/land to pull it off. It is not something achievable by a person starting with nothing. You need tools, buildings, fields and labor. Outside income is a must unless you inherit all the stuff from your parents.

The other aspect of a TV show is they select what you see. They show the folks that are succeeding and turn a blind eye to those that do not have all the interesting toys.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 AM
dumb farm boy

the money came from somewhere. land ain't cheap. all that equip ain't cheap. neither are all them toys, guns, ammo.

bust my ass, as does the ol' lady, and we are nowhere near the "have's" in those shows.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,070 Posts

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is salvage or junk yards...

That barge that Otto Kilcher has was salvage off a beach near the Kilcher homestead. It was said in the show when the barge featured that the owner called Otto up and told him he could have it. It was beached and upside down and the guy didn't want to bother with the work to salvage it. Otto did.

Otto also makes regular trips to the junkyard to get materials/parts and has his own personal junkyard going with all that stuff out in the yard (all in the show).

As has already been said, most of the equipment that you see on these shows is not new...some of it pretty old actually.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Rather be outside than in

All any that said there plenty of people who live "off grid“ up here that don't have the most glamourist lifestyle. They don't have tons of crap that we think we "need" to survive. The trade off is a type of lifestyle that both very hard and very rewarding. As for land cost again you can't think in terms of the lower 48, while it's true you can't homestead like the Kilcher family did you can get land pretty cheap if you don't have things like roads and modern services on it up here.
The Following User Says Thank You to kantill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soldier View Post
His Daughter has done well also, you might know her as the singer "Jewell", she's married to Ty Murruy the famous rodeo cowboy. The theme song for the show is sung by Atz and Jewell also.
That's interesting....
Old 11-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Recent Blog:
Forester

Thanked 2,068 Times in 1,031 Posts

I had a career working with hard rock miners. The Hoffman crew is as big a bunch of goofballs as you will find. They have learned a lot, but all still **** poor miners. They would never get anywhere without the TV show.

My aunt used to live down the road from the Kilchers on the Kenai. She thinks their show is funny because a road goes all the way to their house from town.

I like plenty of shows about Alaska, especially Life Below Zero. No story line, no script. Plenty of drama in day to day activities.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
I had a career working with hard rock miners. The Hoffman crew is as big a bunch of goofballs as you will find. They have learned a lot, but all still **** poor miners. They would never get anywhere without the TV show.

My aunt used to live down the road from the Kilchers on the Kenai. She thinks their show is funny because a road goes all the way to their house from town.

I like plenty of shows about Alaska, especially Life Below Zero. No story line, no script. Plenty of drama in day to day activities.
I read somewhere that there is a McDonalds 10 minutes from the Kilchers house