Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Proverbs 26:4

Thanked 2,164 Times in 950 Posts
Default Flower Pot Heater - Heating a small space

Advertise Here

Flower Pot Heater

I saw this today and thought I would share it. I can't speak to it's effectiveness but in a pinch it just may work. It's always good to have options.

I'm sure it can be tinkered with and improved if the situation calls for it. But it may be fine the way it is. Simple and easy.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2013, 10:45 PM

I saw this today as well, interesting. I think i'll experiment with this to see how it works. I know we have some flower pots laying around, and I think we have some of these candles somewhere. Might be a good, inexpensive backup.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire/hunting guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 06:09 AM
Proud Army Vet!

That could work depending on where you are. I'm in WI and that won't heat much more than a small closet during winter here!
The Following User Says Thank You to ryck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryck View Post
That could work depending on where you are. I'm in WI and that won't heat much more than a small closet during winter here!
True, it wouldn't be a good choice for mid winter in the upper northern climates but could be helpful in spring and fall. Or in some type of underground structure like a room in a basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire/hunting guy View Post
I saw this today as well, interesting. I think i'll experiment with this to see how it works. I know we have some flower pots laying around, and I think we have some of these candles somewhere. Might be a good, inexpensive backup.
I plan on playing around with one or two of these to see what they can do. You can always put more candles in them too and use a larger pot.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:55 AM

I played with one yesterday.

I can see it working well in a small, well insulated space. But in my house, with 20' vaulted ceilings, no dice.

I'll stick to a wood stove.
The Following User Says Thank You to ko67 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 12:28 PM

I thought about how this would work well in a pinch on the cheap. If I an my family stayed in one room through the night with door almost completly shut, no windows in the basement...between the heater and our body heat would be fine. Pretty cool
The Following User Says Thank You to DonTreadOnMe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Tabbed: "Regular Guy"

Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,201 Posts

Waste of time and money. Get a Portable Buddy and be done with it.

EB
The Following User Says Thank You to ElevenBravo29th For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,512 Times in 490 Posts

During WW2 these were used over here by many families during the bombing in there back yard air raid shelters.. the "Anderson" shelters. They worked and gave heat and a small spill of light to comfort the children. They would, eventually, boil a kettle for tea.. if you had any. Much safer than many other forms of heating and many made their own candles from any fat or wax they could get.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gavbar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Gypsy in the Midwest

Thanked 2,853 Times in 816 Posts

The idea is that the flower pot keeps the flame from being in contact with anything. It really is safer if you have kids or pets to use candles like this if you need them for heat.

Also most people have candles & a flower pot they could use .... it's a good thing to pass on to your neighbors in an urban/sub urban area in a blackout type situation where fire departments might not be quick to get to a house fire. If nothing else, It might prevent a house fire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonaMomma For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenBravo29th View Post

EB
I have one...in fact I have multiple. But how do you use it when the fuel runs out? Candles will be much easier to make/find. I don't see it as a better option, but a back up option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonTreadOnMe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 04:47 PM

I tried this today, exactly as in the video. It worked ok, I'll keep it in the "just in case" pile. I think I'll buy a couple more pots to make two more of these. In a pinch, it's some heat. Like others, it would work in a small bedroom or basement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire/hunting guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Trouble following rules

Thanked 5,307 Times in 1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenBravo29th View Post

EB
I posted about this in another thread and got the same response. Like many others, I have a few clay pots lying around and plenty of candles, so no investment required. A portable Buddy is great, but does require propane to operate, and like anything mechanical it could fail when really needed. Nothing wrong with having the flowerpot heater as one more back up. It could come in handy in an emergency situation.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Trouble following rules

Thanked 5,307 Times in 1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaMomma View Post
The idea is that the flower pot keeps the flame from being in contact with anything. It really is safer if you have kids or pets to use candles like this if you need them for heat.

Also most people have candles & a flower pot they could use .... it's a good thing to pass on to your neighbors in an urban/sub urban area in a blackout type situation where fire departments might not be quick to get to a house fire. If nothing else, It might prevent a house fire.
The clay pots should also absorb, and retain the heat and give it off slowly. I haven't tried this yet, but theoretically it sounds like it's worth a try.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat59 View Post
The clay pots should also absorb, and retain the heat and give it off slowly. I haven't tried this yet, but theoretically it sounds like it's worth a try.
That is exactly the concept. instead of the heat produced by the candles just dissipating into the air it is trapped by the pots and then emitted like a heating coil. Not too unlike how rocket stove heaters work. Albeit on a much smaller scale.

When I get a chance this weekend I hope to use a larger 9x9 pan and 6 or 8 candles with larger pots to see if it increases the amount of heat.

I have a propane heater too but this is so simple and propane does run out. I am not advocating this be your primary way to heat a space but it can be a viable option for some people. There's no reason you couldn't place two or three in a room if need be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 08:32 PM

Worth a try. Our winters aren't terrible and this might help.
The Following User Says Thank You to EarthGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 20,903 Times in 5,653 Posts

I saw this video somewhere else about a week ago and gave it a try. Four tea lights in a bread pan with a 6" and an 8" clay flower pot over them, with an empty metal candle holder over the hole in the inner pot.

Very little heat given off. I removed the outer pot which allowed the inner pot, which was pretty hot, to radiate more heat. I also removed the tin thing on top because it didn't seem to make much difference how how the pot itself got. However, the candles only burned for about 45 minutes and the wick was completely consumed and almost all the wax was gone out of the little tea light. I believe this was because the flower pot sitting over the candles was trapping heat and radiating it back down onto the candles.

Tried it with two votive candles I just sat in the bottom of the bread pan. After about 45 minutes the candles were mere puddles with a tiny bit of wick left. Again, the heat radiated back down caused the candles to melt too quickly and the wick to completely burn.

Not worth messing with using candles.

However, I saw in a magazine years ago a similar setup using a light bulb set inside a large flower pot with an even larger one over that. It was called an 'electric hen' or an 'artificial hen' or something to that effect, and was to be used in henhouses during cold snaps or to brood chicks.

I don't know if a light bulb would heat the flower pots more than candles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxHannah For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 06:10 AM
Recent Blog:
Trapper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
Flower Pot Heater

I saw this today and thought I would share it. I can't speak to it's effectiveness but in a pinch it just may work. It's always good to have options.

I'm sure it can be tinkered with and improved if the situation calls for it. But it may be fine the way it is. Simple and easy.
WITH caution, this might also be an option while winter tent camping as long as your tent is small but includes a vent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Operator60 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHannah View Post
However, I saw in a magazine years ago a similar setup using a light bulb set inside a large flower pot with an even larger one over that. It was called an 'electric hen' or an 'artificial hen' or something to that effect, and was to be used in henhouses during cold snaps or to brood chicks.

Have used a 100 watt bare bulb in a 8'x10'x6'H uninsulated chickenhouse to keep the birds from losing their feet and combs in subzero cold snaps. Hung it in the center about 4' from the floor. it worked.
The Following User Says Thank You to minitruck83 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 08:14 AM
Baal Sheeple

Thanked 14,315 Times in 5,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHannah View Post
I saw this video somewhere else about a week ago and gave it a try. Four tea lights in a bread pan with a 6" and an 8" clay flower pot over them, with an empty metal candle holder over the hole in the inner pot.

Very little heat given off. ...
Thanks for reporting your real world results. Too often people read about stuff and pass it along without trying it out to see if it works. The fact that wax in the candles melt if you contain the heat is a result that many may have not considered. Putting a light bulb into a pot will also cause the bulb to get very hot and likely cause failure either of its socket or wires. If you buy light fixtures you will see that many of them are rated for a maximum wattage.

When it comes down to it there is nothing special about heating things. It is all BTU's and the principles of heat flow. Thermal mass can allow a consistent heat but it does not create more heat. A candle can burn you if you hold your hand in the flame but the amount of BTU's it gives off is very small.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post: