Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Looking for - want to buy
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-08-2013, 06:43 PM

Default WTB junk land - SW Ohio

Advertise Here

Looking for an acre or two in SW Ohio.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Stay Alert, Stay Alive

Thanked 6,076 Times in 1,919 Posts

Junk land? Try Over the Rhine. lol
Old 11-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Recent Blog:
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 6,648 Times in 2,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc0331 View Post
Junk land? Try Over the Rhine. lol
No ****! Grew up in SW Ohio/E.Ky. O.T.R SUX!!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 AM
Recent Blog:
TEXAS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownvic View Post
Looking for an acre or two in SW Ohio.
You're not going to find "junk" land in So.Oh. You're talking about the most fertile soil in the country, possibly the world. It' a shame Cincinnati is there. That dirt is as black as pitch, and you can damned near sprout a broom handle if you stuck it in the ground.

Try looking around New Richmond, Point Pleasant, Moscow, Neville, Felicity, Laurel. Felicity is as far north as I'd go. Stay in the unglaciated hill country near to the river. If you planning on inhabiting it on a long term... Stay off the flood plane between Route 52 and the river bank. One reason the soil is so fertile there, is due to the Ohio rivers frequent flooding. Stay within 15 miles of route 52. Any further north, the climate changes from sub-tropical to continental.

Example:

New Richmond, Point Pleasant, Moscow, Neville, Felicity, Laurel.
Sub-Tropical, almost like Panama in the late spring, summer and early fall.
You can grow Pecans (Native), peaches, red persimmons (Native), okra, Kholrabi, Tobacco and a few other warm climate vegetables and fruit. My Dads neighbor actually has a southern magnolia in his yard. He has to cover it about every fifth or sixth winter, but it's doing well. You have the same growing season as north-central Georgia, Tennessee, etc. There are wild apples, I mean a buttload of red, delicious apple trees EVERYWHERE there. At least ten different nut trees, not counting the oaks, Paw-paws, and lots of cherry trees. Lots of poison ivy too, so be careful if allergic (I am not).

Batavia, Amelia, Withamsville, Bethel, Williamsburg, Hillsboro, Milford.

Continental climate, Really crappy winters, and most of the previously mentioned plants won't grow there. However, the soil in these areas is extremely fertile. You can grow some WICKED corn, tomatoes, potatoes, and bell peppers there.

New Richmond is only 15 miles south of Amelia, but Amelia is up on the flatlands. I remember one year, I lived in Moscow near the river. Batavia, Amelia, Withamsville, Bethel, Williamsburg, were shut down by a blizzard that lasted two days. We had snow, but it wasn't too bad, about a foot, and it was 25 degrees warmer in Moscow than Amelia. Moscow is only 20 miles from Amelia.

This area has some of the weirdest and most unpredictable weather on the planet. It is truly a unique place to live.

Southern Ohio has absolutely some of the LARGEST, most AGGRESSIVE, white tail deer in the country. Game is VERY plentiful, Forage is unbelievably good. It's the garden of Eden for food/medicinal plants. The BEST forage is around Moscow, Clearmontville-Laurel road, Felicity, Neville penn-schoolhouse road, and Laurel. Hunting is good everywhere.

You can probably tell I have spent a CRAPload of time in that area.

Hope this helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Stay Alert, Stay Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
You're not going to find "junk" land in So.Oh. You're talking about the most fertile soil in the country, possibly the world. It' a shame Cincinnati is there. That dirt is as black as pitch, and you can damned near sprout a broom handle if you stuck it in the ground.

This area has some of the weirdest and most unpredictable weather on the planet. It is truly a unique place to live.
Spot on.

If by "junk land", you mean undeveloped, then its more than likely prime farm land. Unfortunatly, SW Ohio has become dominated by the urban sprawl along the I75 corridor between Cincinnati and Dayton.

Your best bet to find a few affordable acres with any privacy would be along the Indiana state line or in Northern Kentucky, down in Bracken or Pendelton counties. Of course it will all be on the side of a hill.
The Following User Says Thank You to usmc0331 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Recent Blog:
TEXAS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc0331 View Post
Spot on.

If by "junk land", you mean undeveloped, then its more than likely prime farm land. Unfortunatly, SW Ohio has become dominated by the urban sprawl along the I75 corridor between Cincinnati and Dayton.

Your best bet to find a few affordable acres with any privacy would be along the Indiana state line or in Northern Kentucky, down in Bracken or Pendelton counties. Of course it will all be on the side of a hill.
Southern Clearmont, Brown, and Adams counties in SW Ohio.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,074 Times in 871 Posts

There is no such thing as "junk land" anywhere in the OIK area. Some areas are less expensive than others but it is all above the "junk land" price range.

The entire region is part of a major urban metropolitan area and its suburbs with a population of over 2,000,000 in a 100 mile circle around Hamilton county.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Stay Alert, Stay Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
Southern Clearmont, Brown, and Adams counties in SW Ohio.
True. The burbs have spread into Clermont County too tho. I remember when Batavia used to be "outside" of Cinci.

But yeah, once you get out past Mt. Orab, into Brown and Adams counties, its pretty sparse. And you can get there pretty quickly, just a straight shot out 32.

This old timer I work with told me about a friend of his that got a job in Adams county. He asked him if he liked it, and he said, "Well, some days you work on a rock pile, and some days you work on the side of a hill. But most days you work on a rock pile on the side of a hill."
The Following User Says Thank You to usmc0331 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2013, 08:34 PM

If by "junk" you are willing to pay $20K to $25K or more per acre, then there is tons of "junk" land to be had.

Even where I live the cheap undeveloped lots have a ton of value because of timber, minerals, and hunting leases. Maybe try the courthouse and see if you can snake someone's land for back taxes?
Old 12-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Recent Blog:

Good answer, marine.... Even bill cunningham won't venture to otr... Even the street-cars will have to be armored...
Old 12-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Recent Blog:

You need to get north of piqua/sidney area to get away from bigger city problems.. If you don't believe me, watch channel 7's monday morning murder meter.. Cinci/dayton has bad drug problems, robberies and home invasions.. Heroin is back with a in sw ohio.. I moved to auglaize county 40 years ago to get away from youngstown... Best move i ever made.