Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-22-2013, 12:01 AM

Default XD-S in jail. Now What?

Advertise Here

So, my XD-s 9mm has been tucked away until the recall madness subsides. Now I need to get a EDC single stack 9mm. I have looked at the Shield, Nano, Kahr PM9 and the Sig 938. I dislike the feel and quality of the Shield, plus I have not been a Smith fan for many years. The Nano I like even less. I already have a LC9 that is, ehh.
Has anyone had the Kahr or Sig? I know these are dramatically different guns.
Anybody have other suggestions for a single stack 9mm?
Old 10-22-2013, 01:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,414 Posts

The Sig 225, and 239 are nice if a,bit large.
The Kahr T9 is surprising.
The old S&W 3913 is still a sleeper and well worth a look.
The Following User Says Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Hunter

Keep on carrying the XDS just make sure to always engage the grip safety. I know 3 people that still carry their XDS 45's everyday.

That being said, if I can't find a XDS in 45 this weekend I'll be picking up a shield. Unless I like the CM9, I really like specs on size and weight but haven't held one yet.... I didn't care for how the Nano felt top/front heavy.

I've checked out a friends nightmare 938...what a nice little sig indeed, it's just too out of my price range. I'd rather add a few bills and pick up a 226.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:44 PM
R.I.P. my USA, 1776-2008

Thanked 4,696 Times in 1,741 Posts

S&W Mod 39 or 39-2. The original 9mm single stack. Tried, true, proven, from Korea to 'Nam to many LEOs and LEAs; truly a great 9mm.

"Show me, Grandpa. Show me on the map where this place called the 'U.S.A.' was you speak of."
The Following User Says Thank You to mmbsr For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 PM

Location: I thought the rocky mountains would be a little more rockier than this.

I don't have any experience with that particular Sig but I was never disappointed in my P226. I would be wary of the Shield because last I saw, S&W issued a Shield recall.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:42 PM

I know you said you don't like "smith & wesson" but you should give serious consideration to the walther pps in 9mm.

Walther PPS in a crossbreed supertuck. my favorite edc to date
Old 10-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Just a redneck

Thanked 1,738 Times in 715 Posts

You can still pick up SIG P6s on the cheap. They are a bit large compared to modern single stacks but they are damn good. We have three of them in the family and all three have no issues eating any ammo we throw at them. Mine has the standard SIG dot and post sight the others are plain. Single action pull is stiff but can be fixed by swapping oh the spring. We keep ours in our BOBs with six mags each.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,623 Times in 2,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remus View Post
You can still pick up SIG P6s on the cheap. They are a bit large compared to modern single stacks but they are damn good. We have three of them in the family and all three have no issues eating any ammo we throw at them. Mine has the standard SIG dot and post sight the others are plain. Single action pull is stiff but can be fixed by swapping oh the spring. We keep ours in our BOBs with six mags each.
too many compacts to list. ruger lc9 are great and very concealable. just go down the lgs and try them all on for size.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:25 PM

I am a huge Sig fan. My dad's service pistol (228?) is my favorite gun to shoot. Just plain sweet.

That said though, I'd stay away from the 938. My dad recently bought one to conceal. At the range, we put the targets at about 15 yards. After unloading 5 magazines from my shield into the target we switched to the 938. It took us 30 or so rounds to register a single hit.

I can easily hit a normal sized target at 30-40 yards. My dad has been in LE for over 30 years and he used to have to qualify at 50 yards (with a handgun). Neither one of us could make that tiny pistol hit the target consistently! In fact, we thought something was wrong with the sights until we moved the target up to 7 yards.

And the kicker of it is, the thing is just plain uncomfortable to shoot. The recoil is what you expect, but the ergos were off for my and the trigger is TERRIBLE. I really wanted to like that gun. But I just don't. It's not accurate. It's not fun to shoot. And it's heavy (not necessarily a drawback for a firearm, but something to consider in a ccw).

All that said, just make sure you shoot whatever you're looking at before you buy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTjo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Trapper

I know you said single stack but have you considered the glock 26?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 6,927 Times in 2,691 Posts

I have the Kahr CM9, which is the PM9, but with rollmarked "Kahr", instead of engraved, and a staked front sight, instead of dovetailed. Other than that, they are identical. Mine is very reliable (after a short trip back to the factory), surprisingly accurate for a pocket gun, and easy to conceal. It also has, IMO, the best trigger of the pocket nines. I have a Galco IWB holster for it, as well as a simple Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Even in the summer wearing shorts and a t-shirt, it is invisible.
The Following User Says Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Prepared

I have a Kahr PM9. A sweet gun, reliable, accurate for what it is. I don't shoot it without an extended magazine. Mine also took a trip back to the factory for FTE. The good part was that they sent me a new extended mag for free when it was returned. I also had a CW9, also a nice gun. The ex has it now!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 10,401 Times in 3,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyfin View Post
So, my XD-s 9mm has been tucked away until the recall madness subsides. Now I need to get a EDC single stack 9mm. I have looked at the Shield, Nano, Kahr PM9 and the Sig 938. I dislike the feel and quality of the Shield, plus I have not been a Smith fan for many years. The Nano I like even less. I already have a LC9 that is, ehh.
Has anyone had the Kahr or Sig? I know these are dramatically different guns.
Anybody have other suggestions for a single stack 9mm?
another Kahr guy.

I own the PM40 and the P380. Carry both of them when riding the bike, because they fit into the pockets of both my jacket and vest.

Drawbacks: Low ammo supply - 6 and 7 round mags; + recoil can be snappy with personal defense loads.

Benefits: They're true pocket guns - they fit in the jacket pockets of riding leathers. They're well made, high quality. They're reliable.

Size and quality are big pluses for me, because I wanted to carry concealed on the bike even when removing the jacket/vest, etc. The low ammo count could be a problem, but if you practice your reloading drills you can reduce the PITA factor.

Bottom line is that most other small concealable pocket 9's have virtually the same issues...

Best with your decision.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:13 PM

Whoops! I went out of town and forgot about this thread. Thankyou everyone for their replies.
I have not had a chance to get a new carry piece. I have been carring my LCP.

In response to others posts- I want a lightweight, single stack 9mm. 6 round or greater magazine capacity. No wheel guns, no Glocks(sorry). Lightweight and concealeability are paramount.
I love my XDS, but am concerned with carrying it. In the event of a good shooting, some sheriff or judge may form the opinion that I should not have been carrying it. In the event of an accidental shooting, well that would suck and it would be all my fault, even if it was a problem with the gun. The XDS stays in the gunsafe until I send it in for the recall.

I had a Nano- Hated it.
I shot a Shield- felt cheaply made and did not give me a feeling of reliability. Just my 2 cents.

I have a Sig 226 for my bedroom gun. Way too big to carry.
I have a Sig 229 in my truck. Also too big to carry.
I have a LC9 that I bought the same time as my LCP. Its OK, if you can get past the trigger and the feeling of sloppiness of construction.

Sooo, I am still stuck on the Kahr PM9 and Sig 938. The PM9 feels good in my hand, and feels like a high quality gun. I have yet to shoot one tho.
The 938 also feels good and seems well built. I grew up with 1911s so the single action should be okay. In fact, anytime I pull a gun from the holster, muscle memory has my thumb make a flick towards the thumb safety, whether the gun has one or not.

Anybody shoot a PM9 or 938?
Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Tabbed: "Regular Guy"

Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,184 Posts

Or you can man up like many of us, and simply run a DeSantis Scropion holster and carry a REAL XD, and XD 4" Service Model... or maybe feminine profile will give it away? Dohno...

EB
Old 11-03-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenBravo29th View Post
Or you can man up like many of us, and simply run a DeSantis Scropion holster and carry a REAL XD, and XD 4" Service Model... or maybe feminine profile will give it away? Dohno...

EB
Reading comprehension is not your strongest skill huh.

FYI- I own several Springfields, including an original XD 5" tactical and an XDM 3.8". I bought the XDS specifically for carrying.
I live in South Florida... Kinda hard to conceal an XD wearing board shorts, let alone a 'REAL XD' and a 4" Service Model. Truth be told, the XDS is pushing the envelope on concealability for me.

Thanks for reading my post and providing some useless info tho.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:46 PM
This ones for you warden!

I have the PM9 and love it. It's light weight and very easy to conceal, I had no problems concealing it with t shirt and shorts this summer with a Mitch Rosen iwb holster. I put hundreds of rounds (115 grain blazer fmj) thru mine and yet to have any problems. I do agree with Grotius that the hotter personal defense rounds can be a little snappy but that's to be expected with the size of gun.
It's a very accurate, lightweight, and easy to conceal gun.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to nateb35 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2013, 11:53 AM

That looks like a sweet rig Nate. That is the direction I am heading. I am going to the Lgs on Saturday so I have to make my decision by then.
The Following User Says Thank You to skippyfin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyfin View Post
Reading comprehension is not your strongest skill huh.

FYI- I own several Springfields, including an original XD 5" tactical and an XDM 3.8". I bought the XDS specifically for carrying.
I live in South Florida... Kinda hard to conceal an XD wearing board shorts, let alone a 'REAL XD' and a 4" Service Model. Truth be told, the XDS is pushing the envelope on concealability for me.

Thanks for reading my post and providing some useless info tho.
Not that I'm saying his reading skills are good but where in in your early post do you talk about your other xd's.Look at the EMP
The Following User Says Thank You to murfdog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2013, 12:56 PM

The Sig 938 is an awesome shooter! I really like those. I have a Shield in 40sw and I am somewhat neutral about the gun. It doesnt look cool, it feels cheap, but its reliable so i carry it.

What about the Kimber Solo? I know nothing about them other than they are tiny and come in 9mm but I have always liked them. Never shot one but they feel nice in my hand. Obviously a bit more $$ though.
The Following User Says Thank You to randomzg For This Useful Post: