Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 10-17-2013, 01:02 AM

Default Have any of you heard of this guy

Advertise Here

Anybody know anything about Sam McCoy or the "crisis education " web site?
In his video he talks about gardening in a 4x4 ft area and having enough food to feed your whole family even if you have rocky soil or live in an apartment... I have gotten his email a couple times so I'm just wondering about him.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:49 AM
What, me worry?

Thanked 4,717 Times in 1,744 Posts

I have not heard of him. Though I am find I am skeptical of the claim of feeding a family in four square feet as the soil would weight less than the food you would need to consume.

Sounds more intense than square-foot gardening. I guess there is a vertical aspect.

Can you post a link?
The Following User Says Thank You to rpp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 01:51 AM
Preparing

Thanked 4,910 Times in 2,881 Posts

Is he referring to Square Foot gardening?

I haven't heard of him yet. Anyone?
Old 10-17-2013, 06:40 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,189 Times in 899 Posts

I think his target audience are people who believe they can grow Dorito bushes and Skittle vines.

https://www.crisiseducation.com/land...ueprint/video/
Old 10-17-2013, 06:50 AM
Gypsy in the Midwest

Thanked 2,853 Times in 816 Posts

It's probably an aquaponics set up.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:57 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,189 Times in 899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaMomma View Post
It's probably an aquaponics set up.
If so, then that makes it all the more funny.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:50 AM
6 Boys and 13 Hands

Thanked 14,406 Times in 4,284 Posts

Well here's a gentleman that claims 1 million pounds on 3 acres and it's aquaponics.

I don't see how anyone can feed a family on 4sq feet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creek Walker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 09:15 AM
The Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLACKJAW44 View Post
I think his target audience are people who believe they can grow Dorito bushes and Skittle vines.

LOLOL, yeah I stopped watching after I read "WARNING, What you are about to hear will undoubtedly tick off some powerful people".

Well he's right about that because scammers like him make me ticked off lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreedomHunter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 AM
The Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Walker View Post
Well here's a gentleman that claims 1 million pounds on 3 acres and it's aquaponics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV9CCxdkOng

I don't see how anyone can feed a family on 4sq feet.
I've watched that video before, there are all kinds of "claims" to aquaponics, but I wish people wouldn't exaggerate so much. Aquaponics is a really great gardening technology and I do believe it is the way of the future, but reality check, you have to maintain a good pH level in the water or your plants will die, aquaponic gardens are subject to bug infestations that are difficult to correct so you had better keep a tight greenhouse, and the fish need to be fed and you will not be able to eat fish a lot from the garden, probably every week or every other week or so. In other words, if you're not the intellectual type aquaponics is not for you. Aquaponic gardens actually require some smarts and craftiness on a small scale. I plan to have a bunch of sensors throughout my aquaponic greenhouse to monitor temperature, nitrogen levels, sunlight, flow of water, and much more and alert me by email if anything goes wrong. Work smarter, not harder is a theme that governs my life.
The Following User Says Thank You to FreedomHunter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 10:26 AM

Ok thanks! Pretty sure it was aquaponic. I don't know anything about it so I was a little curious. Not enough to actually do it. Your right freedomhunter about scammers.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:52 PM
What, me worry?

Thanked 4,717 Times in 1,744 Posts

Just another scam trying to sell a book for "covert" gardening. Which basically means throwing seeds into the woods and hoping they don't get eaten by four and two-legged thieves.

Waste of time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rpp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 05:59 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,942 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:

yep. That sums it up appropriately.

-Edmund Burke

Canadian Survivalistsp
Old 10-18-2013, 07:33 AM
Prepared

Quote:

Everybody knows Skittles come from a rainbow.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to minitruck83 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Winter is coming.....

Thanked 10,530 Times in 2,873 Posts

Don't think a 4X4 area can grow that much....... However, I had a 8X12 raised bed area that I gardened using "Square Foot" gardening techniques that produced FAR more than I thought possible. Still wasn't enough to feed a family of four but it was alot.

"If it sounds to good to be true....."
Old 10-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,688 Times in 768 Posts

Is is 4x4 or 4 sq. ft? 4x4 is 16 sq. ft. Btw, a vendor at my local farmer's market told me she used to furnish produce to a restaurant from a plot the size of a long folding table. Takes a lot of fertilizer!
Old 10-19-2013, 04:48 AM
The sun will rise

Thanked 1,315 Times in 731 Posts

Most aquaponic set ups use more energy than it produces, like most other farmers, by the way. So as long as the energy inputs are cheap in terms of dollar cost, and there are enough dollars coming in from product sale, these claims are legitimate.

But soon the energy cost to produce these foodstuffs will make all these techniques obsolete.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,662 Times in 2,387 Posts

I have tried just about every type of gardening known to mankind with the exceptions of aquaponics, and I very seriously looked into that!

My opinion is as follows.

It is possible to raise all of the vegetables 2 people need on 4' by 4', which is what Mr. McCoy is talking about, assuming the pictures on his website are accurate. But, there will not be enough calories in those vegetables to support 1 person for a month, unless some pretty impressive stacking is done and grain or beans or something similar are added, and that would mean stacking trays higher than a ceiling.

As for raising grain instead of vegetables: under wonderful conditions and with a lot of fertilizer the 4' by 4' plot can raise about 4 pounds of shelled corn where I live. That will not feed one person for a month, and where I live nothing will produce more grain per square foot than corn. I do not know what a grain like rice or amaranth yields per square foot as they are not grown in my area.

On the website a raised bed is shown. Well, a good raised bed will raise a tremendous amount of vegetables, providing they are of the low-calorie kind. If potatos were planted an mounded up as they grow a really impressive yield is sometimes gotten but more people say it was a bust than a boom. I tried it myself more than once but the best I ever got was a couple of pounds in a couple of square feet. It was a lot of effort and my worst attempt only got me a handful of potatos. So, my best effort with a 3 foot tall raised bed, mounding as I grew, would have produced just 30 pounds in a 4' by 4' bed, and a one pound potato per day will not really feed a person for a month!

In other words Mr. McCoy is lying through his teeth.

To raise all of the vegetables a person needs I would go to the leafy greens. A bed of cabbages, lettuce, turnips, radishes, beets, swiss chard, and so forth will give a person all the salad he or she wants from early june until frost in my area, and any beet or turnip bulbs can be removed and eaten to make more room as all of the plants get larger or at the end of the year. Last year I ate the beets after winter had killed everything else: they are pretty hardy! I have never tried to keep a turnip growing for greens because I do not like turnips as well as other vegetables but that might be possible as well: or not. I have never tried it.

A person could live for a very long time on stored beans, store rice, and a tiny garden. That is the survival rout that I have chosen, though my garden is not tiny! It does take a fair amount of room to grow tomatos and watermelons and such!

Somebody earlier mentioned square foot gardening. I tried that as well. It is just as effective as having a raised bed, and in practice the 2 are very similar. Either will give enough greens for salads and for cooked greens in a quite small space. The only thing is, there are not that many calories in cabbages and such!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2013, 08:54 AM
The Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmmm View Post
Most aquaponic set ups use more energy than it produces, like most other farmers, by the way. So as long as the energy inputs are cheap in terms of dollar cost, and there are enough dollars coming in from product sale, these claims are legitimate.

But soon the energy cost to produce these foodstuffs will make all these techniques obsolete.
? lol you think that aquaponic gardens are going to become obsolete? And you argue that the energy inputs use more energy than they produce? I don't even understand your logic or math on this one. The biggest 3 costs in an aquaponic system are 1) The greenhouse setup costs (including tubs, trays, sump pump, the fish, etc) 2) the fish food & replacement fish costs and 3) the electricity to run the sump pump.

In comparison to traditional farming I see the greenhouse cost being a fixed cost, just like a tractor, rototiller, sprinkler(s) or any other farm equipment that needs to be purchased, the fish food is comparable to fertilizer, and the electricity to pump water through the system is similar to the pump you need to do in order to water the garden and the cost of watering a traditional garden is much more expensive than an aquaponic system.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:59 AM
The Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Terri View Post
I have tried just about every type of gardening known to mankind with the exceptions of aquaponics, and I very seriously looked into that!
Have you tried hugelkultur? If so how did it work out for you?
Old 10-21-2013, 09:14 AM
VIP Member

FWIW I had three raised beds this year that are 4x4. I grew potatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, and melons. It got very crowded in those beds, and the vine crops needed a nice trellis to grow up. My yield was about 10-15 lbs of potatoes, a dozen cabbages of varying sizes, half a dozen cauliflower, and a bumper crop of cucumbers. Melons didn't grow well due to cold, damp conditions. Nice, but not enough to feed an entire family. This guy probably has brown eyes, for a reason.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post: