Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 10-15-2007, 08:01 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,043 Times in 6,592 Posts
Default Time to plant your 1015Y onion seed

Advertise Here

The time has come to plant your 1015Y onion seed. Can anyone guess where the name comes from? October 15th, and the Y stands for Yellow onions.

The 1015 was developed by Texas A&M University. Also called the "super sweet" is one of the superior mild onions for consumers.

Last year I planted from sprouts in December. instead of seed in October. So if you do not want to plant seed right now, wait until December and the local feed and fertilizer store should have sprouts that can be transplanted.

Onions are an excellent cold weather crop. Once harvested, the onions can be stored for months in the right conditions.

Keep in mind that onions require a lot of nutrients. If you use potting soil, get the slow release organic type. If you know someone that has rabbits, chickens, goats, horses or cows - talk to them about getting a truck load of manure for your garden.

Onions are some of the easiest crops to grow and store. Just put them in the ground, make sure they get some water. In 6 months you will have something that you can harvest and store for another 6 months.

Ever since my wife and I harvested last years onions, we have not had to buy one from the store. We still have enough onions to last another 4 - 6 months.

My onions are going to be grown in a raised bed behind the house. The bed is not ready to plant onions, as I want to add another layer of landscaping timbers. This extra timbers will give my bed about 3 more inches, which I plan on filling with manure. Last year I used a lot of commercial fertilizer on my onions. This year I would like to go all organic.

Links:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...fs/onions.html

http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/HomeHort/F1...cles/OCT16.htm

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publica.../onionhis.html

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Hunter/Farmer

Thanked 1,680 Times in 767 Posts

Kev, did you get those 10-15 seeds sown yet?
Next year I plan to start them from seed also, but this year I have a supplier that will have the sets ready in another two week.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Hunter/Farmer

Update:
It was a good 1015Y onion growing winter!
Not too wet or cold.
I've harvested a few already, but will be pulling and air drying the rest of them soon.
Alot of baseball sized ones with a few near softball size.
I should have planted more,....I can eat em like apples.:D
Pics when I pull them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reality Czech For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Hunter/Farmer

I harvested a bunch of 1015's this morning because it's gonna rain this week, and I needed some onions in the kitchen. A kitchen without onions is a sad place.
Anyhoo, its been years since I messed with planting onions because they were so cheap buy at the grocers....... Not so now!
They will be planted again this fall.
Attached Thumbnails
HPIM0924.JPG